SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txskeeter_gw

Suet feeders?

TXSkeeter
10 years ago

Location: DFW, TX. Conditions: Smallish well kept back yard with one semi large Red Oak and a sizable crepe myrtle in the opposite corner.
Have tried using suet feeders from time to time over the last few years and have had zero luck with attracting new birds to my yard despite reports of various species visiting my local area, some on a year round basis. I've been using the standard small wire mesh feeder available about anywhere and commercial suet blocks in various formulations, ie: peanut, seeds, fruit, mealworm, etc., typically from the 'Royal Bird' brand which is about all that is available if you do store bought.
I also have a regular seed type feeder that I fill with a combination of black oil sunflower and a mix of other seeds (usually Purina Wild Bird blend). The seed feeder gets a lot of action but usually draws an abnormally large number of house sparrows and doves although the occasional "pretty" bird or just occasional visitor visits during the cooler/colder months.
My feeling is that with a whole neighborhood full of renters (now over 50%) who rarely take care of their yards, I would suspect that they're not feeding birds either so there is the likely possibility that only a very few of us are bird watchers/feeders drawing "new" birds to the immediate suburban area. In addition, we're almost surrounded by local open fields and wooded areas to which many species are likely drawn.

There's the history and conditions so back to the suet experiment. Am I using the wrong brand, wrong approach, wrong whatever to draw new species to my yard? Is suet just a seasonal thing for you?
Or is it time to just give it up and continue on with my seed feeder and forget about suet entirely? The pre-made blocks aren't expensive so I don't necessarily mind buying them but if they're not eaten then it's both a waste of time and money.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Steve

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County