SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyfox

Favorite Surprise Plant

mommyfox
15 years ago

The message from trsinc about the Mother of Millions in her chives gave me an idea for a fun post. We've all been surprised now and again by a plant - one that returned unexpectedly, or showed up as a volunteer and actually turned into something useful. So what are your favorites that you've ended up with over the years? I'll start!

Those that have returned from beyond the grave (or compost heap) include a Dicentra bleeding heart, a coreopsis, blackberries and purple oxalis.

Speaking of oxalis, a very nice one popped up without preamble in a perfect spot by my birdbath. From whence did it come? No idea!

The first spring in our house, I looked out our second-story bedroom window one day and squealed. Over our fence in the wild acreage next door, perfectly framed in our window, was a golden raintree that had recently come into bloom (and thus allowed itself to be identified.) My husband nearly had a heart attack before he figured out I was happy.

A wild privet popped up in a spot where I needed a big plant by my front door. I said to it, "If you can be pretty and behave yourself, you can stay." It agreed, and has been true to its word. It's eight feet tall now, wonderfully fragrant, feeds the birds and doesn't send up a million tiny babies like I feared. Ahhh, free plant ... Mother nature is wonderful.

And of course, wildflowers rock ...

Comments (8)