SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glitterglass_gw

Tomato Trouble: Any Doctors in the House?

15 years ago

I'll try to keep it brief, but I bought tomato plants for the first time this year. I put them in full sun but didn't realize how much watering they need, and most of them stayed pretty small and spindly, with wilty yellow and browning leaves. I think my second mistake was waiting waaay too long to transfer them from the pots... the two biggest ones, a "Taxi" tomato and a Brandywine, made it into big pots and they are looking pretty big and robust, at least to me. Both have produced yellow flowers recently but no sign of fruit.

I planted them with Espoma Tomato Tone and Gardener's Gold potting soil and gave them the occasional drink of Neptune hydrolized fish fertilizer. Now we had almost no rain in Washington DC this August and the last couple days brought the first rain in weeks... one big plant in a terra cot pot is fine but I discovered that the other, which was in ceramic with no drainage holes but a layer of rocks and pebbles at the bottom to help, ended up in some foul-smelling standing water (a little pool of it maybe an inch deep). I knew this was bad so I dumped and sterilized the pot and immediately repotted with new dry potting soil in terra cotta, albeit a smaller container. However it has not yet recovered... it looks wilty despite being consistently moist since the rain, though the leaves are all still green.

The second part of my question involves fertilizer. I was out today and asked my mom to water my tomatoes for me and she used a can that had about a tbsp of Miracle Gro forgotten in it... high nitrogen content, the blue granular type that's water soluble. Now I am wondering if that's going to make matters worse...

I apologize for the lengthy post. If anyone's made it this far I thank you just for your perserverance!

Jessie

Comments (12)