SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucypwd

ID this bird description only

lucypwd
13 years ago

Can someone help me ID this bird? Bird seen near thistle feeder in the greater Portland, Oregon area. Is there a finch or sparrow there would have two rows of feathers, or two feathers that stand up on the head like the ears of an owl? I saw this bird from the back and noticed it because of these two raised feathers or rows of feathers that for all the world looked like a miniture owl, but of course it wasn't. It turned so I could see that it was just a little brown/grey sparrow/finch type bird. Because I was so captivated by the little "feather horns", it flew off before I could realy look at it for ID characteristics. I didn't get a good look at the beak or eye area. I thought perhaps it was a baby with a mix of feathers or possibly some sort of mating or posturing position. Typically I have house finches, pine siskins, gold finches, wrens, bewick's wrens, sparrows, nut hatches, chickadees, red shafted flickers, downey wood peckers, and hummers. Has anyone noticed this before? I guess it could have been the wind as it was a bit breezy but they were so symmetrical and prominent it leads me to believe that it is a specific feature of this bird. Any thoughts?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction