SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saskadaisy

Mourning Dove or...?

saskadaisy
12 years ago

G'morning everyone. I've been reading/lurking here for quite a while, although I've been a long-time Garden Web member.

Two days ago, while working in my backyard, I kept hearing what I thought might be a dove or a pigeon. That evening I listened to dove songs at Cornel Labs. I had the window open in my home office, and at the same time I could hear the bird outside. The song was not the same, but a little similar.

Last evening when I went outside this striking bird was sitting in my neighbour's tree. Went for the camera and took several pics. I am a raw beginner to bird watching, but this bird looks only partially like a mourning dove. It seems lighter in colour, the feet are the same, only a faint black mark on its cheek, no black marks on the wing, and a white band on the back of its neck. I googled images of mourning doves, including females and juveniles, but none have the white neck band. No singing last evening.

I realize now I should have tried to include more of the tail, so this is the best I've got. Can anyone positively identify this beautiful bird for me?

Peggy

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County