Mourning Dove - Blue Jay attack?
15 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (14)
- 15 years ago
Related Discussions
Fledgling Mourning Doves in my garden
Comments (11)Nice, Lisa. I like Mourning Dove,too. Sorta off topic, but I saw a cardinal feeding a little brown bump of something in the orchard yesterday. I was walking my little senior pup and the cat always has to come with us. Well, I hurried ahead and scooped up the baby cardinal and placed he/she in the tall grass before Kitty spotted it. The baby made a big fuss and spread its wings to try and scare me, I felt bad. The adult hovered nearby so I'm sure it knew where it was....See MoreMourning Doves...population growing!
Comments (59)Our doves did try to eat some of the rice I threw out for them as I had read that someone had said they liked rice. Yesterday I noticed that our baby doves were sitting alone but we were also aware that the Mom and Dad were close by watching over them. Late in the day a Blue Jay was after the two little ones sitting in thier nest. Both parents decended on the Blue Jay until he flew away. Neither of the parents went back to the nest; we were concerned that they wouldn't make it to the next day. To our joy we found the Mom sitting on the nest early in the morning. However later both parents were away from the baby doves. Late this afternoon I was thrilled to witness both the Mom and Dad at the nest; Mom was feeding the little ones. And later - no parents, no baby doves. They had left the nest. My previous witness of all four of them together must have been the LAST family gathering. My question is: Do the parents stay with thier young long enough to teach them full flying lessons or do they kick them out of the nest and expect them to survive on thier own?...See MoreDoves scaring cardinals away from feeder
Comments (5)thank you! Iôve attached a pic of the popsicle bird feeder. One of those Pinterest things. Thank you for the advice, I was thinking to change the feeder, but thought first to try and get a different seed mix. What I got supposedly does not attract doves, but they there were....bullying the poor cardinals that wanted to come. I read that somebody posted once that the doves are scared easily. Not where I live. I actually have to go out and make a scandal before they just jump on the fence and watch me from there. Iôll try changing feeders...no fun watching doves eat my seeds....See MoreMy bird was attacked by a hawk
Comments (147)I enjoyed seeing pictures of Bird and Dove Bar. I rehabbed several pigeons and wrote about them in my Bayou Tales stories. One of them, named Hue, used to follow me all over the place. I had another one named Checkers that I found in a trash can at Lowe's. They had a trash can sitting out in the nursery section, and were cleaning up and dumping the sweepings into it. I glanced in and saw a live pigeon in it. She was covered in tar. Of course I took her home. I got most of it off of her, but her white, speckled black feathers were stained brown after that. A hawk got her....See More- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING FOR BUTTERFLIESGarden for Wildlife to Reap Rich Rewards
When you plant with animals and insects in mind, you make gardening easier, the planet healthier and yourself more present
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESBackyard Birds: Create a Home for American Kestrels
These copper-colored birds of prey can be found throughout North and South America and often find habitats near human activity
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BUTTERFLIESA Quick-Start Guide to Bird-Watching for Fun and Learning
Set out some seed and grab your field guide. Bird-watching is an easy, entertaining and educational activity for the whole family
Full Story
GARDENING FOR BIRDSWhat to Know About Birds Nesting in Your Yard
Learn how to observe, record data and help ornithologists with NestWatch’s citizen science project understand bird trends
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES13 North American Backyard Birds to Know
Find out about these enchanting native species and learn how to attract them to your yard
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESBackyard Birds: How to Care for American Goldfinches
The American goldfinch is a bright-in-the-summer visitor and one of the only vegetarian songbirds. Here's how to give them a healthy habitat
Full Story
WINTER GARDENING6 Reasons I’m Not Looking Forward to Spring
Not kicking up your heels anticipating rushes of spring color and garden catalogs? You’re not alone
Full StorySponsored
More Discussions
Charlee_MO