SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anita55_gw

baby TRES good doggie

15 years ago

good morning - well the TRES babies have been peeking out and being teased by their parents for DAYS now. I decided to give up watching, not really knowing when they hatched and when they might REALLY fly away. So this morning, I heard a sparrow and sure enough there was the little bugger on top of the swallow box. He went inside was standing guard in the doorway as the swallows swooped around. I didn't know what to do, so I decided to go out and cover the front hole and peek in the top. I couldn't see any babies because of the enormous pile of nest feathers but I have to assume at this point that they are either dead or flown. Anyhow as I'm walking away my husband yells at me to look at my dog who is in her classic "i have something but I don't know what it is and I'm afraid but I ain't leaving either" pose. I said it's probably a feather (that's the usual prey). If it's furry and squeaks it would have been history quickly. So I went over to check and it wasn't a feather, it was a baby bird sitting in the grass not too far from the nestbox. I quickly turned to get the dog away from it, and my husband said as I moved away he saw the bird fly off into the trees. I haven't seen the rest of the swallows since then and hopefully they are together somewhere safe. Now, this box is the ONLY one that doesn't have a VanErt setup. The box next to it (about 5-10 feet away) does have one. Should I close up the one he is using and see if he goes to the other one? Would you just let him nest and addle the eggs? Not sure what I'm going to do.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County