SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dzyg

OMG, I am sooo upset......

dzyg
14 years ago

Looked out at the Chickadee box for like the millionth time today and saw something brown fly out, I ran out there and saw a wren poke its head out with some nesting material. It had rained all night so I was going to put the wren guard on tomorrow, dumb me put a hole reducer on first (yesterday) and wanted to make sure they accepted that before I put the wren guard on. What the heck was I thinking! I saw there was one egg on Tuesday, earlier today I looked and could only see one egg again but I wasn't sure as everything was so tightly packed I didn't want to move much. I was dreading looking in after I chased the wren away just now, bold thing stayed right there looking at me until I was about 3ft from it, I swear I would have broken its little neck if I could have caught it. I grabbed a step stool as it is a top opening box and could see two eggs, I think that is all there was, not sure but I suppose their could have been three. The eggs look fine however I see no poked holes or anything like that except that they now appear to be sitting on the floor of the nestbox. The wren must not have found the eggs yet when I spotted it, it was just throwing nesting material out and I think only one or two beakfuls when I ran out there. I guess that is why the chickadees cover and pack the nests so tightly, gives them a chance to chase the wren away before it find the egg. I haven't seen the Chickadees though. I couldn't get the duct tape to hold to the wet wood so I screwed the wren guard on now. I am praying it keeps it from coming back. With the wren guard up I cannot see from the house if anything is in the box so I am just going to have to pray the Dees come back and lay another egg and the wren stays away. Do you think this would make the Dees abandoned the nest if the wren was in there and if it may have dumped one egg?? I couldn't find it anywhere though and I really think there only should have been two but I am not positive. Is there anything else I can do???

Donna

Comments (5)