SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

OMG I'm cleaning my rose beds & can't believe how many roses are dead!

bethnorcal9
6 years ago

I'm so upset at myself... I haven't taken the greatest of care of my garden for several yrs. I was working 2 jobs for quite awhile. Plus my mom was bedridden from about 2010-2016 and between myself, my son and my niece, we were all taking turns taking care of her til she passed at 98. I had no time to deal with much in the yard, and even last yr, a yr after she passed, I still wasn't of a good enough mind and body to go out and deal with it all. This yr I am making myself go out and get all the crap cleaned out.

Blackberries, Bermudagrass, and all sort of other weeds and out of control underplantings need to be purged from the rose beds! I'm currently working on the one out front below our porch. It's my original "oddball" bed. Has horrific, compacted, dry volcanic clay soil, which I stupidly did not amend well enough when I first started planting in there. Makes me ill to know exactly what all I've lost in that bed due to neglect and lack of water. I just discovered yet another rose I lost to add to the list of almost irreplaceable varieties. I emailed Burling to see just what ones she might have available right now. Haven't heard back yet.

I lost BROWNIE yrs ago and can never replace it, as well as FANTAN (both came from Vintage). I have replaced TOM BROWN I think 3x now, and actually one came back, so I now have 2! Lost and replaced at least 4x TWILIGHT ZONE, the original one from Ben Williams that's mauve with a light yellow reverse. Just now found out I lost it's look alike, DOUBLE FEATURE... both of which Burling carries. Hopefully they will be in stock. Lost GREY DAWN a few yrs ago, and Burling has it but it's too hard to propagate apparently, so I will not be able to replace it. Thankfully GREY PEARL is coming along nicely! I also lost VESPER AND VICTORIANA, both of which RVR carry, but never have in stock! Last yr or the yr before, I replaced SMOKY, which is now in my newer oddball bed. Oh I also lost EDITH HOLDEN, which I'm hoping Burling has. OMG. I can't believe it. Sooo many lost. Oh and thought I lost SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, so ordered one from Hortico, soon to be delivered. But I discovered mine is barely still alive. One small stem was laying on its side under the grassy weeds, and looks like another small sprout is popping up off the side of the bud union. So, now I will have 2 of those, which is ok.

Other roses in that bed that thankfully are going well, and some I need to try to propagate before I lose them... are: BUTTERSCOTCH CL, BELLE EPOQUE, TANTARRA, KOKO LOCO, BROWN VELVET, KALEIDOSCOPE, NIMBUS, LAVENDER PINOCCHIO, DUSTY ROSE, STEPHEN RULO, JULIAS' ROSE, SILVER CLOUD, COFFEE COUNTRY, SPICED COFFEE, AMBERLIGHT, IRISH CREME, OKSANA, GREY PEARL, HOT CHOCOLATE (the NZ version) and some oddball minis... TEDDY BEAR, INCOGNITO, CINNAMON DELIGHT, AYDAN RENE, PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, and I think MISTY-EYED and SILVER PHANTOM.... crap... I might have to go check on those 2 as well... I think one of them might be missing too...

I am not looking forward to finding out what other roses I am missing in the other beds that are in worse shape. Soooo depressing....

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH