SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

So upset, and I should've done more.

IdaClaire
14 years ago

Early on Saturday afternoon, DH and I were up to our elbows planting in our front bed. I'm backfilling holes with hands full of soil, and DH leans on his shovel and gazes out towards the small neighborhood park, directly across from our house. He remarks, "What? Is somebody dumping cats at the park?!" I stopped what I was doing, and walked out to the sidewalk to get a closer look. Sure enough, there's a red, late-model Honda parked at the curb and someone on the passenger's side is methodically putting cats and kittens out in the grass, where they're beginning to frolic. I stood and watched for several seconds, and then the driver of the car appeared to notice that they were being watched, and put the car into gear (I saw the reverse lights flicker). I quickly marched across the street, and saw that there was a little girl, maybe 8 or 9 years old, putting the cats out of the car. I said, "Sweetie, you aren't planning to leave these cats here are you?" She looked at me with huge, saucer-sized eyes and gave no reply, so I asked, "Is that your mama driving?" She nodded. I walked around to the driver's side and motioned for the driver to roll down the window. It was a young woman, in her mid to late 20s. I asked, "You aren't planning to leave these cats in the park, are you?" Well, it was apparent that she certainly did plan to do just that. I told her that what she was attempting to do was animal abandonment, it's illegal, and that if she drove away and left the cats, I had her plate number and I'd call the police. She quickly told her daughter, "Get them back in the car." I kept talking to her. I told her that if she just dumped them out like that, they WOULD die. I told her that they'd get run over, killed by a dog, or die from thirst or starvation. She said, "Well, I don't want them to die", and then pointed to one of the lovely little silver cats and said, "She's pregnant again too." ::sigh:: I told her that I really felt for her -- that I had more cats than I ever intended to have, but that she couldn't simply dump these beautiful little creatures. She was obviously distraught, so I told her where the Humane Society was located -- not far away. She said she knew the area, and gave me her word that she would take the cats there instead, but ya know, I have to wonder whether or not she really did so. I told her that even if she took them there and dumped them on the front step of the shelter, that was still giving them more of a chance than simply leaving them in a park! Perhaps her reasoning was that people in the park would spy these lovely little cats and take them in ... I told her that would certainly not happen.

I was so upset for the rest of the day. I actually surprised myself by confronting the cat dumpers in the first place, but I also felt as though I should have done more. I should have offered to go with her to the shelter. I should have helped in some way, instead of just talking to the young woman.

The other part of me was/is so very angry that someone would even consider doing such a thing. And what a "wonderful" lesson for her daughter in dealing with responsibilities, right? Perhaps her situation was dire; still, there's no excuse for simply abandoning animals. Baby animals, no less!

I realize that crazy, stupid, mean, and desperate people do dump animals, but I've never observed it happening right before my eyes. At this point, all I can do is pray that she did take them all to the shelter. And I guess I have to stop beating myself up for not taking this woman by the hand and showing her exactly what to do to deal properly with these precious creatures.

Comments (30)