SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holleygarden

My Crossvine Changed Colors!

I thought I'd post this here, as I felt you might have heard or seen of this. It's a mystery to me.

My crossvine (the regular orange kind) is now blooming, but the flowers are yellow. Completely yellow. I've had this crossvine for almost 10 years and I've never seen it do this before.

I figure it has to do with the heat, although we've had hot weather before, just not quite in this intensity.

Would a change in the PH do it? We had to drill a new well, and our water changed from acidic to alkaline. Plus, it's located next to the garage, so the concrete there may have some factor on the soil PH, too.

I also composted there for the very first time. The other plants in that bed look normal. And it was home-made compost, not store bought, so there shouldn't have been anything odd in it.

Other than those two changes (and the heat, of course), nothing else has changed. We are watering that bed, so I don't think the drought would have had that much effect.

Have you ever seen this happen to a crossvine? I appreciate your help!

If you want to see pictures (both normal orange blooms and the yellow blooms now), I have posted them on my blog. Please feel free to take a look. I'd love to hear what you think!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of crossvine

Comments (21)