SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Want to help me plan a new landscape?

TxMarti
12 years ago

Thanks to the winter of 2010 and the summer of 2011, I have almost nothing left in my yard. Now I want to move the sidewalk so it curves through the yard instead of hugging the house.

Before:

The vitex you can see at the center back is the only big thing left living in my yard, along with two oaks just out of frame on the left side of the photo, next to the driveway.

Now:

{{gwi:1363782}}

I'm going to put in bigger posts and then either add shutters to the porch windows or rails between the posts.

I'll water around the foundation of the house, so I can have some plants that require water, but as we all know from our current conditions, even those struggle in high temperatures. Everything else needs to be xeriscape. I know that's no guarantee though, even my 3 year old agarito died this summer. I think I have spent the better part of my life working on this yard, and now it's toast.

It's been suggested on the Decorating Forum that I put a tree in front, somewhat between the two windows on the porch I think. I'd like to have some blooming plants for the color, but my goal is appearance. I want to go from plain to pretty if possible.

Starting with the big items, trees and shrubs (or grasses), what would you add, and where?

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting