SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Just got my water bill for June *faint!*

TxMarti
12 years ago

Soooo, for the months of July and August I will only be watering the foundation and the plants in the veggie garden that are really producing. In fact, I think it'd be cheaper to drive to Dallas and buy all organic than try to water the garden at all.

Now a question. Water conservation people want us to use only soaker hoses. But I am pretty disgusted with soaker hoses around the foundation. The plants right next to the hoses are fine, but the ones a foot away are dying. And the stupid hoses keep springing leaks. I don't know if it's from the cat, ants, or just aging in the sun, but every other year I have to replace all of them and I'm tired of it.

Plus, my walls have cracks so I know they aren't doing that great on the foundation either. I never know exactly how much they put out, but I set the timer for the same length for all the hoses around the house and garage. At least I can measure a sprinkler system, so I am going back to that around the foundation - but not in the garden.

Any tips from sprinkler system people? I'll be doing a super simple system that I'll hook up to garden hoses for a year or so until I'm sure it works well for me.

Comments (11)