SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fourstringdrums

after overseeding, my water bill is how much??? did i over do it?

fourstringdrums
16 years ago

First let me start from the beginning. I had an irrigation system put in around 5/22 and I watered my lawn about once a week for an hour per zone across 5 zones. Depending on the weather and when I was still getting used to it, I may have done watering twice a week a few times during that time. Then I had my existing lawn that was put in last year overseeded on August 30th and was watering 3 times a day, for about 30 minutes per zone, sometimes 40 minutes during the afternoon depending on the weather. Unfortunately we had a lot of hot weather during this time so I felt it was necessary.

So, I got my water bill for the irrigation which is on a separate meter so I'm not charged sewerage. To my horror, it was $747 billed from 5/22 - 9/10. Most of that I'm sure came from all the watering I did in the 12 days or so since my overseed. It says that I used about 8,840 gallons, although my town uses a multiplier of 10, so I got billed for 88,400.

The grass is thickening up for the most part that I can see, although there are just a few small patches that don't have anything yet. At this point I just plan on watering once a day, about 2-3 days a week early in the morning for about 35 minutes, and then after that, going back to my regular once a week schedule of an hour per zone, or two waterings of a half hour per zone.

Should this be alright? I can't afford to water any more than I have been. I'm really happy with how the lawn is looking, save for just a few areas that are starting to thicken up and those few patches that don't show anything yet which I can probably patch next year.

Granted I can't go back in time, but did I water too much? I was never watering to the point of puddling on the lawn, but I felt like 30 minutes or so 3 times a day was enough to keep the surface moist for the most part all day. My landscaper said that once early in the morning and once in the late afternoon/evening per day should have been good, and that even if the top most surface seemed dry, the seed bed was probably fine. I had a bad experience over seeding last year due to it getting done too late, so I didn't want it to go to waste this year and I was just being cautious. Was I TOO cautious in my watering times and my frequency?

Comments (15)