SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayakita

My Ficus Has Fainted!

kayakita
14 years ago

Have had my beautiful ficus tree for more than ten years.

It's planted in a 20" container and must be at least 9 ft. tall and 4 ft. wide. It has been as healthy as only a ficus can be when it is truly happy for many years. It even survived a hard freeze which burned all it's leaves; yet, it returned the following summer more beautiful than ever.

After the last move, I placed my ficus in a bright sunny location (which it definitely hated). The leaves began to sunburn. I immediately moved it into a small grove of live oaks with only filtered sunlight, where it has been growing joyfully ever since (in spite of the dreadful drought we've been having in central Texas for the past two years). I hand water it deeply once a week and spray the foliage with a hose every other day or so. In winter, I now bring it indoors and park it in front of a large south-facing window to avert another freeze incident. No problems at all...that is, until last week when we had a heavy electrical storm with lots of rain for about an hour.

The next morning, when I went outside to check my plants,

all of them were blissfully happy after the wonderful shower except the ficus. It looked as if a huge animal (not just a dog or cat but maybe a mountain lion) had jumped right in the middle of it and splayed all the branches so that they were almost touching the ground. I forgot to mention, this ficus has multiple trunks. Then I thought perhaps it was top heavy and just keeled over from the weight of the rain on the leaves. I shook off the drops of water that remained on the leaves but the branches stayed that way. I have tied the upper branches to the fence with a piece of soft rope in hopes that it will return to it's former lovely shape. Not sure if that will remedy the problem but I sure hope so. What on earth could have happened to my ficus? Fortunately, we don't have mountain lions in this urban part of Texas. I can't think of any other large animals such as (cattle or deer) that might have invaded our backyard. We have a six foot cedar fence and the gate is locked. Could a lightning bolt have shocked it into such a state? The rain revived all my other plants. They loved it. In fact, I have two other ficus trees...a smaller one and another of the varigated type. They both look great. I hope Al (Tapla)might be able to offer suggestions as I understand he is a ficus expert on this and several other forums. However, any and all ideas will be gratefully accepted.

Comments (4)