SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cody_mi

NEW: 6600 traveling daylilies!

cody_mi
18 years ago

This round robin is an extention of a wonderful group of traders, the Traveling Daylilies, who when at all possible trade daylilies. We have the most awesome group of traders, proven, experienced, honest, giving, sharing and awesome loving people. The way into this group is to have traded and proven yourself honest. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recommendation. We'd love to have you!

We are currently doing our November "thankful" swap.

REMEMBER TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO SUBMIT YOUR MAIN DISH RECIPE!!!!

Comments (103)

• ellenh
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Happy Bday Paul - wanted to post it before but was feeling a little green over the difference in temp. It's down to under 40 here - YUCK!!!!! I am NOT, repeat NOT ready for the winter.

Hi Gloria - butt glued here too listing stuff. Know what it's like to have toooo many windows open. Your box is half done. My bursitis really slowed me down.

If anyone remembers, DH ran over our dog a few weeks ago. The bandage is finally off for a couple of days and he's still been now walking on his injured leg so far. It looks like he's finally starting to touch the ground occasionally with it, but very very lightly. I've been trying to massage it and help him stretch it out but I'm not exactly knowledgeable about physical therapy for dogs. He's getting elderly and I'm afraid that he could be permanently disabled by this all. Pour thing.

Ellen

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

OH I'm on cloud nine. We won another volleyball game. We now stand 5 wins 1 loss. This has definetely been the best season ever. And one of my players is out with a broke arm.

Jo-tell me which 23 you are ordering. I may have some of them. Don't order if I have them and I can send them to you next year. Sutton's is my favorite iris grower. I have all of their books and spend most of the winter lusting over irises. Irises was the first flower I started growing too.

Annie-Have you down for a Gina The Gypsy.

Jaye-So glad your husband did not get hurt in his accident.

Canna-Poor kitty 'Sago'. Glad he is doing good after his surgery.

WATCHNIGHT

MAM ZELLE

STARDOCK

Shirley

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: 10,400 Traveling Daylilies

Q

Comments (107)
    OH MY Anita....I am so very sorry to hear that the test results were not good. I know you will be fine...You are very strong and have a positive outlook which is very important. Do whatever needs to be done to lick this, and know that all your friends want the best for you and want to help in anyway we can. Thanks everyone for your concern about the tornadoes that hit the south. Tennessee was the worst hit, there were several tornadoes around me but fortunately, none hit the farm. Some barns, trees, mobile home etc. were demolished in KY and at last count 7 dead. I think the death toll (overall) is now at 58 with more possible as cleanup is done. Over half the deaths were in Tenn (sorry Canna) I hope no one you knew was harmed. I heard about a one year old who was found in rubble about 300 ft. from where his house had been...he was alive and fine, but his mother was killed. Cody...Seeds for me...yeah...I'll watch for them...want any postage or a trade for them? Sorry to hear about the car problems. But glad you're posting. I hope you will host a trade in April or May...I think you would be a terrific sponsor. Welcome to Miriam and Sassy. I have added Miriam to our members list since I got her info from Shirley. But I haven't gotten anything about Sassy yet. I will e-mail her and add her info to the memberslist and get new one's e-mailed soon. I've asked someone about joining our group. I'm waiting to hear back before bringing her name up for a vote. Marea...I'm so sorry to have missed your Valentine Swap. Since I am too late to join in...I will send each of our newest members...Roxy, Annette, Miriam, and Sassy a promisory note for a fan of something nice this spring in honor of your valentine's swap;0) BTW...I owe Oceans 11 to someone for an earlier swap where we had promissory daylilies...I lost my note about this...I think it was either Roxy or Mellen, please let me know who I owe it to. I would like to add my amen to whoever suggested that we also put anything important in a group e-mail. Once again, Anita, I am so sorry I wasn't online when you needed someone to share your sadness and fear. Please don't ever hesitate to contact me if you need ANYTHING. Hi Karen and Annie...good to hear from you gals. Karen, I looked at your pictures, are you interested in a trade this spring? Wow..what beauties. Happy Birthday Dawn!!! Sharon, I got the seeds...you are such a sweetie. Thank you. I'm getting my little greenhouse repaired from the wind damage and then I will be sowing those beauties....OH...Loved the wiggly butt. To all three of our Mary's and to Lisa...big hugs to you. Hi Paul...loved the photo's of the kids. Roxy...check the picture site....I hope to post something you sent me. I know I am missing several people, hugs to you and I will catch up with you later. Debbie/budsnblooms
    ...See More

UPDATE: 11,600 Traveling Daylily Post

Q

Comments (36)
    Hi gang - thank you all again SO MUCH for your support!! Herb is walking again & gaining some strength, has nerve damage in his back so my giant of a man is puny right now, but walking!! I got a weekend job taking care of cats at a big boarding kennel nearby & actually get paid to pet cats. Healing. God is good. Paul, I truly loved seeing your photos - awesome, incredible & majestic Colorado tour you gave your boys AND us. I got to drive through CO once, all I saw was the admittedly fantastic & spiritual views from the interstate & a wonderful diner in Denver where I had the best Denver omelet of my life. Carol, I know you Washington people are used to cool & wet, but it was 110 degrees here the other day, and it hasn't rained here since the beginning of June, so you are actually lucky... I've been feeling very lucky with the daylilies this Summer - the heat has given me oodles of rebloom scapes so I'm going to get to enjoy flowers all this month, too, meaning I'm enjoying daylily blooms for 5 full months this year! AND I got several very promising seedlings, some gorgeous faces that appear to have good branching & bud counts. My favorite has to be an Awesome Blossom x Create Your Dream kid: lavender with purple flames & knobby purple edge. And my 2008 Linda Beck x Bobby Martin seedlings ALL bloomed, just 6 buds each, but they ALL looked like both parents - have high hopes for them. Melinda, our Sunkissed Temptation's registration is now pending & it is going to be introduced at the 2012 National Convention in Ohio. The fan I kept has increased to 5 fans since I mailed yours, sent up a rebloom scape AND has 3 proliferations growing on the first scape! Hope yours is doing as well. Hope all of you are well, cool & happy, Love Marea
    ...See More

UPDATE: traveling daylily angels 5500 send & get daylilies

Q

Comments (100)
    Hey ya! I hope everyone had a nice long weekend to enjoy. Beautiful weather here! Sherri, wish I could keep her this size. MaryB, a diagram for you :). Lots more stuff in there not pictured. Brugmansia 'Creamsickle' three blooms on a heat stressed plant and Coleus 'Lava Rose'- my favorite coleus this year. My business is slow as expected when starting out. I have a partial website (go figure?), my license, business cards. Made a bag with my logo on it that I carry around. I have about 6 websites going right now. Enough to pay the business bills. BTW, Gloria I have a bill for you coming your way today :). Love ya, Hottie! CindyO, you are about 350 miles for me, well duh, I guess you already know how far. I would love to come! I can drop my back seat in the Blazer and make lots of room, but I would have to leave the kids with you so I could haul the loot back home. Love that seedling of yours! I just picked the last of the seedpods yesterday. Now we have about 1000 seeds to figure out where to plant. Marea! YAY, a tropical! Diane, got your test email. Debbie, happy B-day! Miss Susan, have you and Dan gone off and got married without us? The Stapelia you sent me last year is about to bloom any day now. I may be cussing you soon :). Anita, your in my thoughts. Deni, if you can read this, you are the most thoughtful and generous soul! ~Canna
    ...See More

UPDATE: traveling daylily angels 5500 send & get daylil

Q

Comments (101)
    Good Morning Everyone:), Thank you all for being HAPPY for me, I am so excited, 2 days to go:). I received a WONDERFUL September box from Marea, I got: Daylily Siloam Sunburst " Copper Summer " Arabian Magic " Derby Bound " Karla Kitamura Iris Glazed Gold Gladiola & Butterfly Ginger MAREA, Thank you so much, Loved everything:) I need to know what to do with the Butterfly Ginger? I have no clue, HELP!!!!!!!!!! Dawn, I grow H. Breathless Beauty, But with all that has gone on I did not get a PIC of it this year, Will try again in 2006. I am going to try to make it to my sisters today, I had planned on going Monday, Well I never made it.. I WILL NOT FORGET YOU:) Looks like the Luau was a blast:) Still ear to ear smiles here:) Cody, Your September box went out yesterday your DC is 0303 0130 0002 4591 9796, I hope you like what I sent:) better add to the 15 new, But I am not telling how many to add:) I wish you luck getting everything done, I know I wont, I never do. Come spring I am going to KICK BUTT dividing, I have to do it in 2006 no matter what!! Canna, I can relate to your MIL, Maybe things will turn around for her as well, It has hurt so bad, I cannot even put in to word's the pain. Debbie, You cracked me up with that wink wink, Yes it felt like a 2nd honeymoon:) You would be suprised as to how far one would go for fresh STRAWBERRIES:) I had a very nice place close by called Botchers garden's, It is now a stupid housing development.. Some people... Ellen, Yes, it did feel like forever, Did you get my post on your post of FRUSTRATED? Dianne, Kissing him, Oh no not me...Big grin here, Already have an issue with my neighbor wanting to steal him 1 of the days I have him... I think NOT, maybe next time, but this trip he is ALL mine. It will be a total of 54 days come Friday. I am not parting with 1 minute of seeing him. Sorry about her luck. Grass seed germinates FAST, it should do well if it get it done soon. (((Jo))), My funky self had to spend the day meeting Joey's new lawyer & then off to Bath to get his PA services going again, I did send you an E-mail...I thought letting you know I would not be home Tuesday:( Tanarae, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! March 2006 is not that far off. My dream is in 2008 it will be called David's Daylilies, In honor of my DH & Grandson, Gilbert H. Wilds has a first ever Wholesale sale going on right now. 260 named Daylilies for $390.00, or they can be bought individually, as I had to do, as of right now I do not have a bed ready to accommodate 260 new Dl's, so I just got 30 of them. I need to use the new bed I have ready for breaking up some of my original Daylilies. Come Spring I HAVE to do it in 2006 or I will never be ready in 2008. Mamma G, Say it aint so, Please say it aint so, It uhh WHAT????? Tell me, come on tell me, I had 1 very week bloom on mine this year, Tell me what's up with yours. If one did have fleas, they would not waste money on the $11.00 a can bomb crap, ( sorry Ellen) That's if one did, Oh, OK So as many of you know I have 2 cats & 2 dogs, well lets just say if one did have 2 cats & 2 dogs, one may have fleas. Susie, Vinegar water??? Oh I am so going to try that, I mean if one had fleas they should try it, Thanks & I do buy my vinegar in bulk works wonders on cleaning the pond pumps out... Speaking of Sue's, Our very own Axelsrose sent me this & yes I was thinking of her this morning also, when I walked out & seen it had opened.......WE MISS YOU!!!!!! Apricot ????? Come back Susan & tell me so I can get the tag right on it:) :)Anita off to plant Marea's babies in my garden. & get Marea's, Dawn's & Debbie's ready to go out...Thanks again Marea
    ...See More
  • brittneysgran
    18 years ago

No matter what kind of dinners we do someone in the family has to make this delicious casserole. Even the kids love it.
    MACARONI & CHEESE CASSEROLE
    1-7 oz. pkg of macaroni cooked
    1/2 cup mayo
    1 tsp seasoned salt
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 onion finely chopped
    2 cups of grated cheddar cheese

Mix all together & bake at 375 degrees for 45 min.

Shoneys Strawberry Pie

1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups water
    4 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
    1 box wild strawberry jello

Combine first 3 ingredients in saucepan and cook on low until turns clear. Add jello. Cool and add fresh strawberries and put in cooked pie shell. Makes 1 deep dish.

• raggedyann161420
    18 years ago

Running around here like a chicken with its head cut off.(TGIF)!

Gloria,
    Ok,I'm thinking about my bookmarks people have sent me and did the one you send me have butterflies on it,LIFE IS GOOD,teddybears,hummingbirds or pressed flowers? OH lord, am I digging a big hole here??? I love the look of our Goldie's feet;it looks like he has mittens on, and his back feet look like the mittens on on backwards. LOL

Shirley, bad thing to keep posting iris. I want one of each those too if you have extra. I better look and see if I have something you don't in Iris or hosta. I know there were some iris of mine you wanted that wasn't ready for trade. Maybe come spring they will be, I think I have a few more hosta you don't have that might interest you.

Jaye, glad to hear your DH is ok.

Ok, got to head out for work.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    {{gwi:26777}}

• dirtpig
    18 years ago

Yup,yup Carol the other box came today..THANK YOU..
    You know the catus were more then enough..LOL..I mean 5 very cool catus..what more could anyone want in a swap box:-)Oh and the catus was something special..I would say SO!!Joy,joy.
    But I got more today..LOL
    Now all the tags came off so I'm guessing here..LOL..
    For something blue she sent 15 Blue Beauty tulips bulbs.
    Also cornlilies bulbs too..Tho these will have to wait till spring here in zone 4
    For something that smell good,Pumpkin Spice potpourri
    something that don't,Sta-Green slow release plant food
    Something Old is a old vase..well you see it in the picture...hehehe..Cool isn't it.
    Something for my personal self is a really cool fountain.That is sitting on my dest as I type.
    Something new,Garden combo pack..with a mesh tote bag..already have ideas for that:-)
    garden gloves and an orange kneeling pad..love the bright orange color.Will be very easy to see where I left it..LOL..I'm always looking for garden tools outside.
    and lets not forget the CANDY..Snickers and snickers with almonds,hershey's all different kinds,3 musketeers and milkway candy bars.Big Hugs Carol :-)
    {{gwi:1308725}}
    {{gwi:1308726}}
    {{gwi:1308727}}
    Happy,happy Jean

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Paul, Happy Belated Birthday!

Jaye, I started a couple daylily seeds already, just for fun. I start a new cross each month. . . just for fun . . . how pathetic is that?. . . I have fun starting new daylily seeds and dreaming about what the crosses will look like. The rest I start in Feb., put them in a plastic cold frame in the spring. Depends on how much you want to deal with.
    Glad you hubby is ok.

Shirley, love the iris pics. I'm a sucker for the blues so MAM ZELLE is great. But I believe my small iris bed is full. :o(
    Congrats on being on a winning volleyball team. How tall are you?

Ellen, Glad you dog is home and doing well. As a child I remember several cats being killed b/c they were up on the wheel. We always felt horrible about it, but accidents happen.

All the Cat pictures are great. All the orange cats bring back a memory - I had an orange cat at one time. He had toes and then bumps going 1/2 way up his legs. He was the ugliest, nicest cat I ever owned, but his was a sad short story. At least he was loved at the end of his life.

Jean, quit sending your cold weather to Michigan!

Canna, glad you kitty is doing well.

sharon/tma

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

Good Morning Everyone,
    I have been having the hardest time getting on here the past couple of days! Our new computer arrived and we just need a few spare hours to get it up and running and I told hubby - NO MORE DIAL UP - we NEED high speed! This drives me nuts!

Shirley's great November box arrived! Still smiling - she went to a new level with the stinky and don't want catagory - yes, I received an old sock and a mousetrap! Too funny. Okay, here's the good stuff:
    2 pair of garden gloves - one light duty and one heavy duty
    Mango Mandarin hand scrub from Bath & Body Works
    A yummy smelling pumpkin spice candle
    A cute 'Let's Talk Turkey' wall hanging
    Tulip bulbs 'New Generation'
    The biggest Gladiola bulbs I have ever seen
    Red asiatic lily bulbs
    A bath kit for my daughter Anna - Anna sends her thanks!
    A photo frame
    A rusty 'Give Thanks' hanging metal bucket.
    A beautiful card.

Thanks so much Shirley! I am very thankful that you are here in our group.

Bad week here for sickness - 2 out of 3 kids have had the stomach flu. At least it was just a 24 hour thing and over quickly. We also had our Chessie in to the vet. I came home from work on Monday and she did not greet me at the door. She was laying on the floor shaking. When she did get up she would only walk a few steps and then lay back down and whine. She looked so bad. I really thought we were losing her. Turned out that it looks like she has a slipped disc/pinched nerve in her neck. She's been on anti-inflammatory drug for 3 days now and total R&R, and she's made a huge turnaround. Boy, was that scary.

Canna, so sorry to hear about your kitty, but glad he's doing so well after surgery.

Jo, I'm glad we're going ahead with the 'Holiday Traditions' section of the cookbook. We will have to get in all the other holidays (Easter, 4th of July, etc) recipes before the printing of the cookbook even though they will not be in season). I love tradition at the holidays.

Here's a dessert that I've made every Thanksgiving for many years.

PUMPKIN CRUNCH (I double recipe to make a 9x13 pan)

Custard:

3 large eggs
    1 (16 oz) can pumpkin
    1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
    3/4 c. packed brown sugar
    2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
    1 tsp vanilla

Crunch Topping:

3 T. packed brown sugar
    2 T. flour
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    4 tsp cold butter, cut into small pieces
    1/3 c. pecan pieces

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Have ready a deep 2 quart baking dish. Whisk eggs in large bowl. Whisk in remaining custard ingredients until well blended. Pour into ungreased baking dish. Bake 45 minutes or until sides of custard start to set.*

Meanwhile, make topping - mix cinnamon and sugar in small bowl. With a pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles very coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans.

*Remove custard from oven when sides start to set. Sprinkle with topping. Bake 35 - 45 minutes longer until knife inserted near center comes out clean. (Center may still jiggle, but will become firm on standing). Remove from oven to wire rack to cool. Serve warm, at room temp or cold with homemade whipped cream. Refrigerate up to 5 days.

Here's one more that I make sometimes for Thanksgiving. Again, I always double or tripple it so it serves more people.

SQUASH AND APPLES

1 small butternut squash (2 lbs. or less)
    3 apples, cored, peeled, sliced
    1/2 c. brown sugar (or less)
    1/4 c. cold butter
    1 T. flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg

Peel, seed and cut squash into small pieces. Place squash and apple pieces into oblong baking dish. Blend rest of ingredients with pastry cutter until crumbly. Distribute over squash and apples. Cover and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes.

Gotta run and get ready for work. Have a good day everyone.
    MaryB

• nyvoices99
    18 years ago

Good Morning Everyone:)

Canna & Paul, Thank you so much:)
    I have a siggy, I have a siggy, I am doing Mareas happy dance:)

Will be back for more catch up, Have to run to Wally World.
    Have a great day all. :)

• mareas
    18 years ago

((Anita! Poo grandma, you))
    No new recipes here. I have the basic classic Thanksgiving Feast every year without fail - them fancy recipes are for leftovers in my house. Turkey with onion & celery herbed bread cube dressing, lots of pan gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans with mushroom soup,fresh thyme & potato chips, baked yams with butter and brown sugar, cherry jello with fruit cocktail & whipped cream, homemade clover leaf yeast rolls, lots of relishes incl. celery sticks w/cream cheese & then both pumpkin and apple pies for dessert. Man I am hungry now & forgot all about daylilies there for a second!

But back to reality: Cody mon, now I've started that seed buying - any ideas how to stop?

Paul, those orchid greenhouse with small darling boy sticking tongue out photos were just wonderful! Thank you for sharing, it was like a vacation! ~ Marea

• veeja11
    18 years ago

I also have a traditional thanksgiving, my recipe is pepperidge farm stuffing, cubed, follow directions on bag.
    jellied cranberry sauce must be shape of can. gravy made of turkey grease and wondra flour. rolls, heat acording to pkg instructions and thats it

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

LOL! Carol you brought back memories of the cranberry sauce. For a long time, I thought that was the only form it came in!

I have only done one Thanksgiving for Doug, Coty and I (Maleah wasn't born yet). I am not a big turkey fan, so I opted for a ham. Bought a huge ham and I wanted brown sugar and pineapples on it. Well...I didn't know that you added the stuff on top at the end. When the ham was done, it had this hard thick black shell from the brown sugar coating and black pineapples :). Once I 'cracked' the black shell open, the ham wasn't half bad! We still laugh about that. I think I would try harder to cook better, but I have such limited space in the kitchen. I literally have a 2'X 2' counterspace to work at. My next house will have wraparound counters.

Really, I am not a good cook. But, I find that watching shows on the Food Channel sooo relaxing. My favorite is '30 Minute Meals', followed by 'Semi Homecooking'.

Shirley, that strawberry pie looks like something I could deal with.

Dawn, good job on the pooh siggy!

Maryb, your poor kitty! Glad to hear he is feeling better. Sago is feeling pretty good today, still moving slow. Heck, I would too if I had a tummy tuck and no follow up drugs for the pain. He slept next to me all night (doesn't normally do that do to the pain in the butt, Peekaboo)

Has anyone heard from Gay? She needs to go to Myrtle Beach with me next week.

It has been in the low 20's for the past two nights. First time I have seen a freeze take the plants down before a frost. So depressing. But, it makes the spring so exciting when I start seeing thing pop back up, especially my zone bending plants.

Time to get the kidos in bed. Time for a piping hot mug of hot chocolate...

~Canna

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

Morning everyone,
    Another cold (in the 20's) and a little snow on the ground morning here. I'm trying hard not to complain as a town about an hour southwest of us got 18" in the last couple of days.

Canna, my Chessie is not a kitty. She's one of my dogs - my Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Believe me, when I was trying to get her 110 pound butt into my truck by myself to get her to the vet, I was wishing she was a kitty.

Poor Sago, surgery and no pain meds? Seems as if they would have given him something for a day or two anyway.

Paul, I also have to add what a cutie your son is. Isn't it something with kids how they always get their bad traits from our spouses?

Love the orchid pictures too. I have about 15 or so that I have picked up on sale here and there. Have managed to get a couple to rebloom. I see spikes on two of mine right now, so that's exciting. I would love to have a paph. (don't know spelling right off - lady slipper type). If anyone has one that they will be dividing next year, I'll trade you something really special for it.

Ummm, Marea, can I come to your house for Thanksgiving?

Here's one more recipe that I try to make every year for Thanksgiving. LOVE this bread.

CRANBERRY ORANGE BREAD

2 c. all purpose flour
    1 c. sugar
    1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 c. butter
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp. grated orange peel
    3/4 c orange juice
    1 c. light raisins (optional*)
    1 & 1/2 c. fresh cranberries, chopped

Mix first five ingredients in large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add egg, orange peel and orange juice all at once. Stir just until mixture is evenly moist. Fold in raisins and cranberries.

Spoon into greased bread pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Remove from pan. Cool on wire rack.

*If you choose to omit raisins, add extra cranberries.

Cody (or anyone) question - overwintering potato vine - overwinter tuber (how - damp peat moss?) or start cuttings?

Shirley, did you see my post about which iris I wanted from your dahlia grower? My iris collection grew quite a bit this year too. I'm a little nervous that it will become full blown addiction like the hostas and daylilies. Need to add on to my iris bed this fall to get ready for more next year.

Oh CindyO, Queen of lazy gardeners who needs to start an iris bed, here's an easy way. Need an area of your yard that drains well. Iris will not tolerate being wet. Start it this fall if you can get another day that the weather is good and there's not snow on the ground. Lay down newspaper about 1/2" thick right on top of your sod. Wet it down well. (Helps if you do it on a non windy day too)Throw topsoil, cow manure and peat moss or peat humus on top of the newspaper, being sure to cover all edges of the newspaper. I like to put on at least an inch layer. Wet again. That's it. In spring the sod will be dead, the newspaper will be mostly rotted and you can now turn it over and add in any other soil amendment (I add a very coarse patio sand for iris - don't add a fine mason or play sand or it will turn to concrete when wet) you want to raise the bed a little and just plant. Doesn't get any easier than this.

Cindy, Your box will be on the way today.

Gotta go - need to get a couple of things done before work. Don't you hate it when you have to work before work?
    MaryB

• onesherri
    18 years ago

Oh no Mary, I have been dumping play sand in my beds for the last couple of years thinking it would loosen the soil.
    How do they expect the doggie to do with his pinched nerve? Curious because I came home the other day and mine couldn't move his neck or go up or down stairs. Before running off to the hospital (vet closed) I started him on pred which seemed to do the trick so far but afraid of what to expect when he comes off of it. I was going to take him into the vet the next morning but you couldn't tell their was ever anything wrong.

Ellen, if you have any of those cutting left in the spring, I would love to have a few. Completely out of room already with brugs, passion vines and snail vines growing everywhere. Plus I still need to have my hundred trays of daylily seeds somewhere. :) Oh and someone reminded me that I forgot to bring in my hibiscus and gardenia which are probably dead by now. :( Oh how I need a heated greenhouse.

I have a pumpkin pie recipe that actually came off of a cool whip lid years ago that is a must have every year.

4 oz of cream cheese (softened)
    1 tablespoon of milk
    1 tablespoon of sugar
    1 1/2 cups of cool whip
    1 6 0z graham cracker pie crust
    combine cream cheese, sugar and milk in a large bowl with a wisk until smooth. Gently stir in cool whip. Spread onto bottom of crust.
    1 cup of milk
    2 pkg of vanilla instant pudding
    1 can of pumpkin (16 oz)
    1 tsp of ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 tsp cloves
    Pour milk and pudding into large bowl ( I use the same bowl) blend until thick. Stir in pumpkin and spices with wire whisk until well mixed. Spread over cream cheese layer and refrigerate for four hours.

If you have never had this it is to die for.

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

marea
    uh...i'm pretty sure death would stop the seed buying, but i don't think anything short of that would work. besides if god didn't want us buying seeds, he wouldn't have made them in the first place!

maryb
    you can either store the tuber like a potato/canna/dahlia, cool, dry, dark place, but don't let it dry out too much. with potato vines you can take stem cuttings, but not tip cuttings. if you're interested in that and aren't sure how to do it, let me know and i'll post directions!

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Ok Dahlia traders are we waiting untill spring? or should I go out in the cold and dig?plmk so I do the right thing. Diene are you in this group?

• namso
    18 years ago

Good afternoon all,

Shirley, love the take heart. and that stardock- boy is that a pretty iris.!!

a few more pics...
    Night Embers

Mango Coral
    {{gwi:1308729}}

Maryb - hhmmm...easy theroy took a paragragh? mine: dig hole, put plant in. If it dies replace with a daylily :):).
    actually, i did use the newspaper thing before...and did work well, except for i never bothered to dig it in, or add anything etc lol. just put straw on top. never thought of covering with manure (thats about as fancy as i get). will try on the new bed. thankyou.

Carol - lol. thats the way cranberry sauce should be.

Man - all these recipies sound good. Going to print off and give to DH :). this is my must have.

BOURBON CORN PUDDING
    3 Large eggs
    1 and 1/8 C evapotared milk
    3 C creamed corn
    3 C corn kernals (drained)
    3 T butter, melted
    3 T brown sugar
    3 T Cornstarch
    3/4 t nutmeg
    4 1/2 T Burbon
    3/8 t salt
    3/8 t white pepper (black can be substituted)

Combine all ingrediants in the largest baking/cassorole pan you can find. Bake 1 hr and fifteen minutes at 350. It gets golden brown on top and begins to set when done.

gotta run...bbl
    Cindy O/namso

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

HI EVERYONE!!!!!!!

I just got in from work. Had to come here right away.

(((Dianne))),
    Box on way, Del. con. #03050830000138335215
    I forgot to tag one thing. Found the little tag AFTER I had the box taped shut and the label on. It is a small box, the items inside were made "just for you" by yours truly.

Mary B,
    For your potato vine, just bring it in and treat it like a house plant. Give it plenty of light, and keep it moist. They LOVE water. I kept both of mine in my bog garden this summer, boy were they happy. I bring them in, put them near a bright window and water them the minute they start getting dry. They will shed leaves at first, but once they are used to the lower light, they will be fine. Once it warms up in the spring, out into the ground mine go.
    Glad your "chessie" is gonna be ok.

This is another "MUST HAVE" for thanksgiving in my house;

Cherry Cream cheese pie

1 can cherry pie filling-chilled
    1 8oz. pkg. cream cheese-softened
    1 graham cracker piecrust
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/3 c. lemon juice

Beat cream cheese about one min. slowly add sweetened condensed milk, continue beating, add vanilla, beat till well mixed. Add "exactly" 1/3 cup of lemon juice, beat well. Pour into graham crust, chill at least one hour, pour chilled cherry pie filling over the top of the pie,cut, serve. Top with your favorite whipped topping.

Carol,
    Guess we are waiting till spring. Too cold for us in the snow country now. (grin) Maybe i can get a few more come spring so I can do a better trade with you all.

Paul,
    You are out of the corner now. Come out and play with us.
    Or are you thinking of some new way to get yourself in trouble? (big grinz)

Canna,
    Glad your Sago Kitty is gonna be ok too. Our poor little 4 legged friends are having a very rough year.

Well,
    time to go and "veg",
    you all have a FANTASTIC evening.

Hugs to all,

Jo/juspeachy

• User
    18 years ago

Ah, Jo, great minds think alike! Your box went out yesterday, too.

Unfortunately, no tracking number on it. I asked Walt to mail it and he said something about filling out "all those forms." I really wasn't concentrating and said, "They never make me fill out any forms." Of course not, I rarely go to the PO--he ALWAYS goes. I didn't ask him to get delivery confirmation (must be the forms he was talking about). Sorry.

Love reading everyone's Thanksgiving recipes. The only must-have item here (besides the turkey) is make-ahead garlic mashed potatoes. We have a finicky-eater BIL who one year was horrified (and mentioned his disbelief all darn day) that we only had sweet potatoes and no white potatoes.

MAKE-AHEAD GARLIC MASHED POTATOES

8 large potatoes (don't get baking potatoes, they get gluey when mashed)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup sour cream
    8 oz cream cheese, room temp
    4 T butter

Peel potatoes and cut into large cubes. Place in a pot with enough water to cover them. Add some salt to the water. Gently boil until fork tender. Drain and place in large mixing bowl. Add minced garlic, sour cream and cream cheese. Using mixer, beat until smooth. Mix in butter, salt and pepper to taste. Place in a greased two quart casserole. Dot with butter. Bake at 350 for 25 mins.

Using a Crock-Pot:
    Make the day before and refrigerate in a crock-pot. One serving day, drizzle melted butter on potatoes and turn the crock-pot to low for 2-3 hours. Time to when rest of meal will be ready.

Freezing and Unfreezing Mashed Potatoes:
    These potatoes can also be frozen. The morning that they're to be served, thaw and cover with aluminum foil. Poke holes in the foil for steam to escape. Place in a 30 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until heated through. You can also drizzle 4 additional T of butter over thawed potatoes before placing them in the oven.

• TakingRoot
    18 years ago

Morning All,

Thanks for all those concerned about hub, he's pretty banged up, not moving around to good and has to see a doctor 3x week, can't go back to work for a while but he's alive and the lady that hit him is ok, too. From the look of the cars, they both are blessed.

Ellen ~ I would like:
    Rosamond
    Versi Peach - limited amount
    Mayan Magic
    Maya
    Arlene's pink Beauty
    Golden Lady
    PLMK about postage and thank you for sharing! How's your doggie?

Canna ~
    Glad your Sago Kitty is ok!!

MaryB ~ I agree with Jo regarding the potato vine....I'm overwintering mine in the house, so far they seem to be happy....as she said...just treat them like house plants...they'll be fine.
    Hope your Chessie is doing better as well as the children.

Jean ~ Nice box!!

Cut down all the brugs yesterday, had over 50 cuttings, so I decided to try the brug thing...(I posted it a while back from another GW'er's post on how he kept them growing till spring)...Got them in a big plastic container with water, an air bubbler and chicken wire across the top to hold them all up straight....Can't wait to see how well it works.

Sharon ~ Daylily seeds are now in my new box along with other plants I had already started....time will tell...(grin)

I want to save a siggy (as well as the one posted for me earlier) and post it, having a bit of trouble, can someone explain how to....thanks....email me.

Off to make breakfast for family and watch some football this afternoon....

Hope everyone has a SUPER SUNDAY!!

Jaye

• mareas
    18 years ago

Hi everybody! I HAVE to show you my 'Joy and Laughter' flower I have smiling at me today again. It's sorta covered with potting soil from potting up cannas in the wheelbarrow next to it - but Im so glad I didn't cut that scape after all!
    {{gwi:1308730}}

Cody mon! You cracked me up. But I came to the same conclusion. I just found this fab new black eye & edged sdlg...giggle.

I have started to make up my Winter sales list, but I wanted ya'll to take a look at my daylily list, kids, to see if there is anything on your wish list for next year first. LMK
    http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/mareas?31586

Thank you for the new recipes! I get so hungry on this thread these days... Homecooking with Paula had the yummiest pumpkin bar recipe yesterday. Off to cook, marea

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

HI!!!

Where is everyone today?

THIS QUESTION IS FOR EVERYONE,

Does anyone have any "Moonflower" seeds they would be willing to part with?

I really need some to start for my DH's brother. He has tried and tried to get some to grow, and no luck. So, I thought I would start some for him in the spring, and surprise him with them. Let me know what you might want for some.

THANK YOU.

Wow, I got so much done today. House is clean, and I have several items cut out and ready to sew. I am so jazzed.

It wasn't that way early this morning though. I went out with our dogs, and wandered over to check on the watergarden and see how the fishies were doing.
    AAAACCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!
    ((THE POND WAS HALF EMPTY!!!!))) PANIC ENSUES as I run to shut off the pump. It seems my top part of the pond (a preform)has developed a crack. Soooo, it is now empty, and my bottom part is refilled and I am hoping my fish are ok, and that they didn't get too cold.(down in the 20's)

Jeez, what else will go wrong? First the heater in my little GH, now this.

Oh well. Roll with the punches I guess. Alls well that ends well, as the saying goes.

Started packing the box for my secret Dec. partner. OHHHH, this is so much fun. I just love it.

Dianne,
    No biggie on the Del. Con. #. I just wanted to make sure the one I sent had it, as it has some very special things in it for you, and I most certainly want to keep track of it, "just in case".

Well, off to do some sewing.

Maybe I will BBL,

Hugs to all,

Jo/juspeachy

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Sharon-Thanks for the congratulations on our volleyball wins. I am actually 5'8" tall. WE practice on Sunday afternoons and our games are on Thursday nights.

Annie-Will add those last 3 irises to your list. I know I will find plenty I want from you. I will post some more pictures later.

Cindy-Yes the iris 'Stardock' is a pretty one. It is one of Suttons 2004 intros also. I have been cleaning up my iris beds all week-end. Almost have them finished. I love your daylily night embers. Very pretty

Carol-Yes lets wait until Spring for the dahlia trade. I want to make sure I can see the eyes on the bulbs.

MaryB-Your pumpkin crunch recipe is a favorite dessert at our local restaurant called FAT BUDDIES. My daughter and niece begged the owner for the recipe and he gave it to them. He said it was their best selling dessert on the menu. They serve it with cinnamon ice cream on top. Hope someone makes it for our Thanksgiving feast. Yes I did see the irises you want in the Spring. I'm so excited to be getting these for us. I need to get busy and do a new raised iris bed.

Canna-Do try the strawberry pie, its delicious.

Gloria-Yes send me the dahlia list. Are you still looking at that catalog? I hope to save lots of money after christmas for my addictions. I need to find a doctor who can help me. I just took another job so I can spend all the money I make at it for my addictions. I really do need help. I have so much going on sometimes I don't know if I'm coming or going.

Jaye-Glad to hear your DH is on the amends.

Marea-Glad you got to see that last daylily bloom. Pretty too.

• mary_s
    18 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Well our snow all melted today! YEA!

I decided I'd better get my Thanksgiving recipes in before Mama G sends me to the corner!

These are 2 favorites my mom always makes for Thanksgiving.

Cranberry Jello Salad
    1 pkg cherry jello
    1 pkg lemon jello
    1 cup sugar (I usually do less)
    2 cups boiling water
    2 cups cold water
    Dissolve jello in boiling water. Add cold water. Add:
    1 cup ground cranberries
    1 orange peel, ground
    1 can crushed pineapple
    1/2 cup walnuts
    Refrigerate till it is set.

Scalloped Oysters
    1 1/2 cup coarsely broken saltine crackers
    8 Tbsp melted butter
    1 pint fresh oysters, drained, reserving liquid
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup oyster juice
    milk
    Combine crackers and butter. Put 1/3 of these in an 8" round pan. Top with 1/2 of oysters. Add another layer of crackers. Add remaining oysters and then rest of the crackers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour oyster liquid over all. Refrigerate several hours. Add enough milk to come just below top layer of crackers. Bake at 450 for 30 minutes.

Other than these 2 dishes our Thanksgiving feast is pretty standard fare.... Turkey, Stuffing (Stovetop),Mashed potatoes and gravy, Either corn or green beans, Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin Pie.

These recipes are making me hungry!

{{gwi:1308714}}

• veeja11
    18 years ago

paul are you ok with all these ladies moving in with you?
    glad sago kitty is doing well. in my travels around the internet I found this for mammabird and one for buddy Jean, got another for shirley too will post tomorrow

carol

• raggedyann161420
    18 years ago

Good Morning All,

I can't get over how fast the post goes! I stayed at sister Brenda's house over the week-end.

All the recipes sound so yummy!

Mary, hope you chessie is getting better.

Shirley, thanks for the hold on the iris.

Canna, I'm glad sago kitty is doing better.

Here is a recipe:

Autumn Cheesecake

Crust
    1 cup graham cracker crumbs
    ½ cup finely chopped pecans
    3 tbsb. white sugar
    ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
    ¼ c. unsalted butter, melted

Filling
    2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened.
    ½ cup white sugar
    2 eggs
    ½ tsp. vanilla extract

Topping
    4 cups apples-peeled, cored and thinly sliced
    1/3 c. white sugar
    1/s tsp. ground cinnamon
    ¼ c. chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, ½ c. finely chopped pecans, 3 tbsp. sugar, ½ tsp, cinnamon and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10 min.

In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and ½ cup sugar. Mix at medium speed until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Blend in vanilla; pour filling into the baked crust.

In a small bowl stir togather 1/3 c. sugar and ½ tsp. cinnamon. Toss the cinnamon-sugar with the apples to coat. Spoon apple mixture over cream cheese layer and sprinkle with ¼ cup of chopped pecans.

Bake in preheated oven for 60-70 minutes. With a knife, loosen cake from rim of pan. let cool, then remove. Chill cake before serving.

I've got a few things for December box collected that caught my eye, and I love doing this, but I'm at a stand still on one of the requirments. I'm positive it will come to me.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    {{gwi:26777}}

• gloriab3
    18 years ago

YOU all are way too funny!
    especially whomever it was that posted about the dinneropen can of this and that... cant recall who... the can cranberry too funny!

that recipe for the jello cranberry is the best thing on the planet... a must at my house... except i use cherrry and strawberry... no lemon... try that.. and i use less sugar too... imange that! you CAN use sugar free jello.. did you know that??

I am swapmed with things to do... an miss daine is making her mashed potatoes early???? OH LORD, give me more friends like her and have them move it and do it!!!

Carls email is exactly me.. make the list forget where the list went, search, get sidetracked, ect ect..

HEADS UP...
    GOT A EMAIL FROM DENNY WHICH SAID SHED HAVE TO GET BETTER IN ORDER TO DIE....

PAUL, CAN YOU MAKE A GET WELL PICTURE FOR OUR DENI?

jEAN... LOOK AT YOU? WHERE DO YALL GO TO GET THE PHOTOS THAT YOU ALL POST? SO CUTE...

HAD THANKSGIVING YESTERDAY WITH ALL THE KIDS... THEN WILL DO ANOTHER ON THURSDAY,,,, IT WENT SO WELL,,, AND IM LOADED WITH LEFTOVERS,,, ITS SO NEAT WHEN THE KIDS GROW UP AND WANT TO DO IT AT THEIR HOUSE!!!!!!!

i HAD A PLATE OF MASHED POTATOES AND GRAVY AND CORNBREAD DRESSING AT 3 THIS MORNING... 3!
    OFF FOR A NAP.. ITS RAINY.. WOO LOVE IT!

HUGS

• nyvoices99
    18 years ago

Good Day All:)

Dawn,
    With the excitement of seeing Pooh, I totally did not see it came from you, I am very sorry, Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love him.

Off to sit in time out, Sorry Dawn

• veeja11
    18 years ago

I don't see a siggy for my wonderful November pal, so here goes
    {{gwi:1308710}}
    and one more shirley
    hugs carol

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Carol-You are wonderful and I love it. Now I have three to choose from. YESSSSSSSS Thank you so much. These sigs are the greatest.

• raggedyann161420
    18 years ago

Everyone is so talented here.Would you guys tell me how to do the animation thingy?

Annie

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

Morning All,
    These recipes just keep getting better and better. I am thinking I'm going to have to try that Autumn Cheesecake, Annie. Oh, and the garlic mashed potatoes, yum. My sister in law makes that Cranberry Jello salad, and it's one of my favorites too, Mary!

Who was it last year that talked about baking their turkey in a brown paper bag with oil? Gloria? Please explain again. I'm tempted to try it.

Well, I have been a planting fool here, trying to finish up. Yes, still planting.... When will I ever learn about overbuying at the good end of the year sales? We are expecting a good amount of snow today or tomorrow so it looks like winter is finally rolling in.

Jaye, I'm glad that everything is okay with your husband. Times like that we take a step back and look at things in a whole new way, realizing how quickly someone we love can be gone. We all need these reminders now and then to give them an extra hug when they go out the door.

Cindy, I mailed your box out on Saturday so you should be getting it today if you haven't already. Your card is on it's way seperately.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes for my Bailey girl. She is doing better, but I noticed yesterday she had a slight limp in her front legs again (which is how the whole thing started before). She is still on the meds for another few days, so we will have to see how it goes when she is done with those. To answer your question Sherri, the vet has said that when she is finished with meds, that could be the end of it, or she may need x rays and further treatment, or like a bad back or neck in people, it may be something she lives the rest of her life with. Keeping fingers crossed that one round of medication is all she needs. How is your dog doing, Sherri?

Cindy, by putting organic material on top of the newspapers, you're getting a head start on enriching the soil and also you will be amazed when you turn it over in the spring how many earthworms are there already, doing alot of the work for you. C'mon, it's really not that bad!

Sherri, I think play sand in your beds will probably be okay, but don't ever use masons sand. I used a patio sand because it is VERY coarse and I wanted extra good drainage for the iris.

Thanks for all your answers on the potato vine. I have a few so I think I will try them both ways. I've tried to store just the tuber before and it dried out so maybe I just didn't keep it moist enough.

Sherri, was it you that mentioned awhile back that your son needs to have tonsils out? If you remember, my 12 year old had his out in September. It was the same problem you described - terrible apnea at night. His tonsils and adnoids were very large. You will not believe the difference after they are done. My son sleeps so peacefully now, it's amazing.

Well, time to get the gang up and moving. Have a good day, everyone and stay warm.
    MaryB

• namso
    18 years ago

Good Morning all,

I received the most awesome box from MaryB yesterday! Mary you are just so generous and thoughtful. Included in this box was:
    .Smells good : an enourmous pumpkin spice candle...perfect for thanksgiving.
    .something old: an adorable wooden basket. it was filled with pumplin colored leaved napkins and is gracing my thanksgiving table. very cool.
    .something for me: the healing garden white tea lotion and parfuum! wow does this smell good too. DH and I both love :)
    .stinky: paperwhites lol. love them but think they smell good too :). can't wait to force them.
    .hosta seeds! oooh,...never tried...
    .blue: a lovely flower notepad.
    .new: a 10 patten turrant hose nozzle. really needed this...that finger over the spout isn't really working :).
    .want: garden gloves, really pretty and sturdy, a huge bag of York Peppermint Patties (uuummmmm!), 'silver stream'tulips, 'Beau Monde' tulips, dutch iris "eye of the tiger', double narcissus 'smokey bear'....yep wanted all of these....love them.
    .special - a plant tag for Maryb's most special hosta embrodiary in the spring. mary im truly honored :).
    .don't want - Mary im still laughing. Mary outdid herself here....i got a ball filled with ugh insects, and leechs or slugs! lol - and no its not hard, but sqishy like one of those green slimy things....gotta get a pic of this one...coming soon.

Thankyou so much Mary. You are awesome!

Drat more to say but already late for work....Carol love the siggy's! thankyou so much to0...

{{gwi:1308710}}{{gwi:1308710}}

{{gwi:1308710}}{{gwi:1308710}}

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

Good Morning Everyone,

I had to come here and show you all the wonderful goodies I got from Dianne.

The cutest card, handmade, soooo cute.
    "Something Blue"-a beautiful teacup with lid
    "Something I would really want"- SEEDS,(in little handmade packages-decorative hot peppers,Red velvet sunflowers, golden eggs. Too cool.
    "Something that doesn't smell good"-the most adorable little pig figure, you can see him there in the front of the pic.
    "something old"-a gorgeous handmade vellum certificate for an "Elvis Lives" hosta to be used in the spring (this is for my DH)
    "something new"-a bar of Aveeno balancing bar soap(this is the only kind of soap I can use.)
    "something that smells good"-a bottle of Clinique cologne, and a bottle of Aramis cologne
    "something special"- a gorgeous plate with lilies on it, you can see it in the right hand corner of the pic
    "something for me"-a flaxseed and lavender eye pillow, ohhhhh, it smells soooo good. love it
    "something I won't want"- lindor truffles (yeah, right) actually, shes right, I need more chocolate like a hole in my head, but, hey, it's the holidays right? I can start my diet in January.
    "something to make everyone else wish they were her partner"- 4 precious,handmade, PERSONALIZED snowflake ornaments one for each of my grandchildren. Their names are on them with alphabet beads. (just like those little name bracelets babies used to get in the hospital) I just love them Dianne. I will cherish them.

{{gwi:1308731}}

Thank you so very much Dianne. I love everything.

MaryB,
    Thanks for the info on the raised bed. I do need to put in a new iris bed. Especially with seeing Suttons website. Ohhhh am I in trouble.

Shirley,
    I have not forgotten you, I still have to finish going through their website, remember, I am only in the "J's". As soon as I am done, I will let you know which ones. thanks.

OK,

LAST DAY TO POST THANKSGIVING RECIPIES

off to work on some Christmas gifts.

Have a great day everyone,

Jo/juspeachy

• onesherri
    18 years ago

Mary, glad Bailey is doing better but I guess I kinda have the same thing going on. Now that he is coming off of meds you can tell something is bothering him again. So I will have to make an appt to find out exactly whats bothering him. I don't want him to not be able to turn his head again.

Mary, just curious how did they come to the conclusion that he needed to be checked for apnea? I waited to get the sleep test cuz I didn't think he had a sleep problem but two docs sent me so I went and looks like it was a good thing. I haven't gotten the actual results from the doctor but with what little the tech told me, he has trouble breathing every night. I had no idea, just thought it was the random problem with breathing. What a scary thought. Oh and did they recheck him for apnea after surgery? He had a quite a time with his surgery didn't he? Sorry to ask so many questions but it is such a scary thought to put him through surgery. Thanks.

Oh Cindy, I want your raccoon sig......reminds me of the ferrets running off with something. :) Sherri

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

paul
    thanks so much for the brug cuttings!!!

well everyone i have babies!! four out with a fifth pipped, looks like the other three are duds. five out of eighteen is ok for a first time with shipped eggs i think!
    cody

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Morning all!

Quick check in, busy busy today. We will be leaving for SC tomorrow. Just wanted to wish you all a warm and safe Thanksgiving!

~Canna

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Good Morning everyone.

Codie, congrats on the Chicks. Need pictures. I love them when they are babies. Just not the full grown ones.

Sherri, we had a 10' x 10' sandbox in the backyard. When we got rid of it, we took lots of the sand and put it in my gardens. Still a lot was left in the original spot. I put sod over it, and now have to water that area tons more than the rest of the lawn. Soon I will have to make it into a garden. LOL The sand seems to have done no harm at the least. (easier to weed).

Thanksgiving recipe - well, my hubbies and brothers favorite. I make my husband cook this one.

Smoky Calico Beans

1 lb. ground beef, pre-cooked on stove.
    1/2 lb. crisply-cooked bacon, crumbled
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup dark molasses
    1/4 cup honey
    1 teaspoons dry mustard
    1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke seasoning
    4 Tablespoons Ketchup
    1 (16-ounce) can butter beans, drained
    1 (15 1/2-ounce) kidney beans, drained
    1 (28-ounce) can pork and beans, undrained

Stir together all ingredients well in a large bowl. Place bean mixture in a 4-quart casserole.
    Bake, covered, in a 350 degree F. oven until hot and bubbly, about 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

I was just informed I have to make my French Apple Pie for Thanksgiving. Just some pointers here for anyone that doesn't know them. Use at least 3 different types of apples, and use dry Tapioca. I use Kraft Minute Tapioca for Puddings and Pies. Follow directions on box for how much to use depending on what type of pie. Makes pie more solid than just using flour. For the rest of the pie, I just follow Betty Crocker.

DD is giving blood (at school) for the first time today. She informed me I have to stay home till 11am to make sure she gets through it ok. LOL Both her Dad and I give regularly.
    sharon/tma

• gloriab3
    18 years ago

Mary, have alot to say but ill have to run back....

yes, it was me and I made the brown bag turkey for thanksgivning number one, and we are doing it thursday...

so here goes...

the turkey, place butter all under the skin, and of course on the top... salt and pepper heavily, inside and out,,,

now take the burd and place it in a brown paper bag, it must COMPLETLEY COVER THE BIRD AND YOU MUST SECURE THE ENDS,,, SO THAT NO AIR COMES OUT, I USE PAPER CLIPS... STAPLE, WHATEVER... NOW TAKE BOTTLED OIL AND COMPLETELY COVER THE BAG WITH OIL.. ALL OVER.. THATS IT! PERIOD... COOK ACCORDING TO POUNDAGE DIRECTIONS...

i DONT KNOW WHY BUT ITS AWESOME AND THIS " WAY" IS AT LEAST 50 PLUS YEARS OLD... NO BASTING, NO NOTHING...
    LET ME KNOW MARY!
    IF YOU NEED ANYTHING MY EMail is... woops you know it.. feel free to email me mary but not thru here... you must do it by hand...

hugs...

• mareas
    18 years ago

Go Gloria! Thankful for you most of all, I think.
    Thanksgiving arrangements & adventures everywhere, huh?
    Well, when dinner is over & done, will somebody talk to me about daylily genetics?? I want to talk about PLOIDYS... It seems my more knowledgeable daylily buddies seem to be throwing out their diploids to focus on the tetraploids - but here I am, a complete novice, thinking thats like throwing out the baby with the bathwater...
    But I see the call of the tets alright: Night Rapture seeds are mine at last!

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Marea, Don't know about 'more knowledgeable', but just wanted to say that I think if we ever get a 'blue' daylily it will come through the diploids first. So if you are still into the blues then I can see why you need to be into the diploids.

Gloria - did you get the picture of the tulip? It was an attachment to an email last week. Open the one that says smaller picture. The other picture is HUGE. OOps!

Paul, if you haven't sent the brug to me yet, don't. Getting too cold here and I'm working from today through Tues. Friday off of course (have to shop). So I won't be here during the day to get the package into the house right away.

sharon/tma

• User
    18 years ago

You are not going to believe what Jo sent me for the Thanksgiving swap. I have been crying since Thursday evening. I'm having a tough time trying to tell you about it. I have never been so overwhelmed with a gift in my life.
    Here's the first picture:
    {{gwi:1308734}}
    From left to right:
    My gift that will make you all wish Jo was your partner, is the ladybug beanbag pillow and comfy red fleece blanket. I will bask in Jo's friendship everytime I use these, and she made them with her own hands, too!
    In front of the pillow are embellishments for my Brian scrapbook, as are the beaded trims and ribbons you see in the picture.
    Jo knows I sew and sent a cool tape measure and beautiful sewing themed stationary set that says "Memories are souvenirs our hearts collect throughout the years." How true.
    The bag you see is a Brian R. dahlia (my very first dahlia and so special!) A set of three wrapped soaps to pamper myself and 4 mini pumpkin candles that smell heavenly.
    {{gwi:1308735}}
    She also sent me more decorations for my Thanksgiving table, the glittery pumpkin you see, the golden candle that is too pretty to light (but smells sooooo heavenly), a large floral arrangement (not in picture) of burgundy mums in a pot with a big bow. The adorable birdhouse you see will have a special spot on my spring table.
    See the scarecrow and turkey? SHE MADE THEM!! Out of colored clay. They are so tiny and detailed, a tribute to her talents. I'm amazed.
    Jo also made the stunning vase you see. I cant' tell you how impressed I am with her abilities and creative talents. The vase will go in my meditation room, it's perfect.
    She sent me a voodoo lily bulb as the Doesn't smell good item. That made me smile. The bulb itself smells okay, let's see what happens in the spring.
    Jo didn't forget Walt (Reece's peanut butter cups) or Maizie (bag of biscuits).

There were two things Jo included in her package that have had me crying for two days. I emailed her a thank you but it feels so insufficient. I've tried to call her but have started crying each time and hung up.

Jo wrote a beautiful poem (it's in the frame) entitled, In Memory of Brian. I feel like she looked directly into my heart and put into words what I can't express. I was speechless after reading it. It's on my dresser now.

She also arranged for a spring delivery of a plant I've tried to acquire for 2 years, a miniature rose named Brian Lee. I don't know how she did it, I'm just weak from her generosity of heart.

Again, let me express how amazing this package was, like it was packed by angels. I think this is the most awesome package ever sent in any of our swaps up to this moment.

Dianne/dian57

• namso
    18 years ago

Good morning all, just a few secs but wanted to put up promised pics....
    Maryb's awesome box
    {{gwi:1308737}}

and the ooh icky dont want ball - too funny
    {{gwi:1308739}}

Thankyou again MaryB.

Marea - wow is Night Rapture a beauty :). too new here at seeds to comment...i just use the ones i like.

Have a nice thanksgiving all...!!

Sherri, if the kind and talented Carol can redo the raccoons for you.?...i like the other one...

can't get it to work today...back to instructions for me..
    Cindy O

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

Oh Dianne, now you've got me crying! Jo, what an awesome box - you truly are one special person.

Did you all get the email from Deni asking everyone to get their questionnaires in? Hmmmm? Did ya? Well, do it cause my December swap partner is one that doesn't have theirs in yet and I'm needing a little guidance on what to put in the box. Please everyone - get your questionnaires to her!

Canna, be safe on your journey today. Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

Gloria, thanks for the info on the brown bag turkey. I think I am going to try it this way. I'm debating between this and trying a turkey fryer just for a change, but a fried turkey just doesn't seem Thanksgivingish to me. We actually always go to hubby's uncles house for Thanksgiving Day dinner, but I prepare a full Thanksgiving dinner for just my immediate family on the weekend after so that we have all of the yummy leftovers that we don't get from uncles house. So, this is when I think I'll do the brown bag method.

Sherri, I knew my son had apnea at night because I could hear that he would stop breathing while sleeping. I put off the surgery for so long because I too couldn't stand the thought of my little one being put under and going through that. I'll tell you what though, it was over so fast and the change is so remarkable, I wish I had done it sooner. The recovery wasn't too bad either - much easier on kids. Yes, he is supposed to go back for a follow up sleep study again, I just haven't scheduled it yet since we've been so busy. They like you to wait at least a few weeks after surgery before doing so. Will do it after the holidays.

Marea and Cody, if the two of you don't stop talking about DL seeds, I'm going to have to start investigating at the lily auction and I really don't want to go there. I'm am fighting urges to "just have a look".

A day off from work today and there's snow on the ground. Oh man, I might have to do some housework.
    MaryB

• onesherri
    18 years ago

Oh Mary, have a look. :) From the looks of things we will all be trading seeds and seedling here in few years. Better get ready. :)

I see that a lot of us are doing our own crosses, is anyone getting serious about hybridizing?

Merea, I tend to think that in most cases dips are cheaper and multiply faster so we all start off with tons of them and then start working on getting the tets. Wouldn't throw mine out but most of the tets are more showy and have more bloom.

• namso
    18 years ago

Dianne,
    was posting while you were. Jo, that is so sweet!
    Cindy O

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

sherrie
    i'm very serious about the hybridizing, but i'm limited by how much i can spend. i really try not to go over 500 dollars a year on daylilies but i usually do by a couple hundred. i'm still working on getting the 'basics' ie ed murray, clothed in glory, spc starburst (i have them, they're just examples). this year i'm going to work on reds and purples with watermarks and ruffles, maybe with a gold edge. i also want to work on more toothy daylilies and i'd love to start with some of the metallic eyes, but they're still so expensive. if anyone wants to send me johnny cash, i wouldn't say no!! lol!!!!

maybe some of us could go halves on some of the new intros or at least trade a fan of them in the fall? anyone else besides me and sharon planning on buying 06 intros?

• pchanggeo
    18 years ago

Dianne/dian57... what a great package... nice job, Jo. I feel like such a newbie cause I don't know the Brian's story, but it seems you've lost a loved one. I'm sorry about that, but it's so great to have friends that care for you and will help you heal.

Cody, you're welcome.

Shannon, I already sent it :). If they don't make it, no worries... I'll send you some more in the spring.

Carol, you got yours, right?

Hope everyone has a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

Paul

• mareas
    18 years ago

Dianne and Jo - you both did good! Big sentimental smile here with tears in my eyes, too.

Cody-Mon, I lucked onto 'Beyond the Looking Glass' and was just mesmerized by that shiny silver ring in the eyes this summer! I will remember you might like it. Let's compare '06 wish lists - your idea of going halves is super.
    I guess it is inevitable I will try hybridizing because I want a huge purple daylily with matching molted metal eye and edge and haven't found anyone doing that work yet.
    And OH YES, Sharon, I am far gone into the blue daylilies: Gloria was quite the blue enabler this Summer & sent me several fancy ones, including West Coast Blues! So far this Fall I have splurged on both 'Seeing Blue' and 'Finding Blue', my first '06...
    I just got Munson's daylily book - has anyone else read it? Marea

• nyvoices99
    18 years ago

Hi All,
    Thought I would stop in & wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving, as I know I will not be on tomorrow, Cooking for 13, lucky me:)

Dianne,
    Jo read me your poem last night, I could not stop crying, she really touched my heart with the words from her heart to you. With this special gift, would it be OK to ask Jo to post your poem for all to read?

off to get done today what I don't want to put off till tommorow

• veeja11
    18 years ago

I got my brugs thankyou paul, please e-mail me as to where I can buy your cards, I love them. I am working on Racoon for Sherri, will post as soon as done
    Happy Turkey day eat eat eat
    hugs carol