SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tanarae_gw

UPDATE: traveling daylily angels 5500 send & get daylil

tanarae
18 years ago

Well I am probly not supposed to do this but I am anxious to introduce my self to the group. Ellen invited me over here and I am thankful for her kindness. I am relatively new to daylilies and only have a few varieties so far, but have just purchased 52 new ones that should be here the end of the week. Yippeeeeee! Am I a new addict or what! I hope to have a lot of fun with the group and if someone would let me know what to do next I would be grateful. Thanks Tanarae

Comments (101)

• juspeachy
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OHHHHH, Dianne,

I feel the same about You. You are such a sweetie.
    thanks so much.

A BIG Congrats to Sue. Great going!!!!

((Anita)),
    So glad to see you back, and that you had a great time. Don't forget to call me on Tues.

Well, I have worked all day,and I am beat,time for bed for this girl,
    have a wonderful night all you night owls,(grin)

Jo

• skohler
    18 years ago

thank you jo can hardly wait to add it to my collection :)) my first win :))
    just got home & unloaded the car good thing I didn't have a passenger for there was no room in the car at all :)) what a wounderfull day my friend & I took her truck & we went to 4 garden nurseries & between the 2 of us we bought a truck load :)) . I bought 2 trees that I have to go get tomorrow :)) I can 't begin to list the daylies we got for $3.00 ea - many thing we got 50-75%off all perennials :)) just so you know all know I guess I'll be busy tomorrow ;)) can hardly wait for the next robin ,:)) so I can share a few good bargains ;)
    well it has been quit a day .
    have a great night
    susie

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: 3600 get a daylily, send a daylily

Q

Comments (100)
    Hello everyone - the Sun is actually shining here! Becky - hang in there. Your trials sounds so hard but you have perservered so far - I can't wait to hear the amazing story of how the money comes... Probably through the window like our dear, wise Jo says. CODY!! Welcome back! You are always so fun - I'm happy you're gonna spend more time with us. Canna - I've been touring the many hand crafted shops here in tourist land [Shakespearean Theatre] for info on what's selling best and discovered that PAINTED ROCKS sell like hotcakes. The ones I saw for sale were NOT as beautifully done as yours (of course we all KNOW you are a truley gifted artist) and are selling for $35-$60+. Thanks so much for the Hellebore and Malea's photos - both brought me joy. Jean - Your wonderful Lily photos are helping with the wait for flowers - thanks! I know how you feel - I've been going through my photos & even going to flower shops to help keep the winter blah's away, too... My yellow Flag iris' are holding on in their pots and I send you a great big smile whenever I check on 'em. I searched the web for info on epiphyllium's - all I find are photos of the exquisite flowers but I'd love to know what the plant itself looks like - do any of you have photos of yours? Daylily seeds: I finally fell off the wagon and bought a few daylily seeds - since I'm going to very carefully grow the Ida's Magic ones brother Joey gave us, I thought I might as well try for some others, too, to fill up a flat *grin* The crosses I HAD to have: ((Court Magician x Wedding Band) x Darla Anita) ((Isle of Zanzibar x Great White) x Mildred Mitchell) (Huckleberry Candy x Big Blue) Ornamental Grasses: Hey, Anita, I have several ornamental grass seeds I'll share with you if you'd like. If you still have some on your want list after you connect with Cody, let me know. Dawn - Bird with Maracas was just precious, thank you! Glad you joined the Traveling Daylily band, in your spare time. Mommabear the party animal - isn't G. a hoot? So HAPPY you are out and about, girlfriend, and letting off steam in French restaurants and all... Off to pack up RM's Valentine's box ~ Mareasemp
    ...See More

update: update: 10,700 traveling daylilies

Q

Comments (103)
    Hi everyone! Well the garden tour was Wednesday and last evening we got to tour all the other gardens on the tour. It was alot of fun once the major work was done! My DH said my gardens had never looked so good! I admit I did stress a little over the weeds! Now I can relax a little and enjoy the rest of summer! My DLs were just starting to bloom but the Asiatic and Oriental lilies were really putting on a show! I will post some pics of the tour soon. Shirley, I am glad to see the trade is still on and I am now ready! Melinda, I will be out of town starting on Friday, July 18-22 so lets just wait till after then to ship my trade, OK... unless it will get here before the 18th??? Ellen are you going to be away anytime? I am so ready to trade again!I have not done any this summer D/T the garden tour. Marea, I will email you soon about our pending hosta trade! Annette, Hope we can finish our Valentines trade now, too. We are going to the Lakehouse either today later or tomorrow. It is a nice get-away! I hate to complain but we could really use a good rain. Our corner of the state is about the only place in Iowa that was not hit with the flooding. Well back outside to pick out some plants to send to Ellen! Mary
    ...See More

UPDATE: Traveling daylilies 5500 send a daylily

Q

Comments (3)
    Earthly...I'm so glad you liked your box. Your thank you is so gracious, it makes me want to send you another box:~) We're down to the wire for our Sept. Swap: Here is the list: Gloria Marea JoAnn Debbie Maryanne Jean Mary S Ellen Carol Dianne Cindy O Shirley Susie Deni Jaye Carmen Dawn Sharon Sherry B Cathy Mary B. Cody Sherri R. Anita Have I forgotten anyone. If I don't hear from anyone else by tomorrow morning, this is the list I will give Gloria. This is 24 of our 34 members. I heard that Georgia has been hit by a tornado or tornados today. Say a prayer for Gloria, Jaye, and Carmen and their loved ones. They are our sisters from Georgia. I haven't heard from Deni who is our sister from Mississippi since just before Katrina hit. Does anyone know about her and her family? Keep all in your thoughts and prayers. One other thing. We used to type our names, a slash, then our GW names. Most got away from this practice, but it may help our new people put names with GW names. If you think this will help, you are encouraged to do this at least until everyone gets to know each other. Debbie/budsnblooms
    ...See More

UPDATE: 11,000 Traveling Daylilies

Q

Comments (106)
    Well hello all, Just got the email,and had to come over and see whats going on.Think we all need a group HUG! And you know I think thats the first time I've seen the whole list of the rules.hehe OH Shirley,I'm so sorry for your loss.I'll be prayering for you and your family. Carol,wow what a spill you had.Hope your all healed and the bump is gone. The thanksgiving swap sounds like fun:)Sorry to say I won't be doing much for swaps for a bit.Half the family is out of work.Nothing is hiring around here,sigh.So funds are tight to say the least. Grats to all that wow daylily seeds.What fun:) Jumping up and down Waving to Mamabear:) Gardening is all done here for the year:( Thou I had a rose blooming up till this last week.Bless it's little heart.Winter not really ready for it.Hmmm I know I got some daylily seeds in the last swap..hehe. That should help some. Welcome to the new members:)Hope you find smiles and alittle heart warming fun here with us. Just wanted to let you know that I'm still around:) Man spring seems long ways off...hehe. Hugs all,Jean/Dirtpig
    ...See More
  • gloriab3
    18 years ago

Ok gang...

not all votes came in but alot did and even if they voted differently the outcome would still be the same...

there was a close run between these girls...

dawn
    dianne
    marea
    canna
    susan Flowers
    and debbie...

there were two girls who carried the majority of votes and so for those two I have sent the fans,,,, youll know who you are when you open your boxes and you see a bag saying 100 dayliy fan. i know your hearts well enough that I know to draw attention to yourselfs would make you uncompfortable so I'm not going to single you out.... youll know in your heart how much we all appreciate you and that is cool.

The following email I recieved today and it was so awesome that I HAve to show not only the hearts of the girls but also all of yall and here is the greatest example of true friendship I have seen here in awhile. Tho, the sender points to her friend she indeed uncovers her own special heart.... May we all take several lessons from this email... I had asked for a vote,,, her reply follows..

"Well now, that certainly is a tough one! I feel there have been a few that have helped our group alot - as of late Deb certainly has done alot of
    keeping things straight for us. But there also was a time last year when I believe it was Dianne (or was it Mary S?) that was our unofficial "secretary" and also did alot? And then there's Canna. How could I ever pick between those three? So, this is the angle I am taking with this one -
    I think that in another way Marea is the one who has done the most for this group. I think that she is the heart and spirit of our group - what we are and what we all want to be - sweet, giving and always optimistic. (Not
    to mention that I wouldn't be here without her) So, that's my pick for your special gift - Marea - I think that SHE is a special gift to us and deserves this treat."

Mary.... you hit the nail on the head..... sweet, giving and always optimistic! If we as a group could pull this off in our lifes, public and private, and draw friends to ourselfs that would cause others to say this about us... then dare I say we have improved the world.. Mary can we be friends???? smiles...

mAREA, i KNOW YOUR FLOORED, PRINT THIS AND SAVE IT FOR ALWAYS... HOW AWESOME!

EVERYONE REALLY DOES CONTRIBUTE TO THIS GROUP JUST BY POSTING... YALL ARE AWESOME! THANKS TO EVERYONE!

ALL CO OP BOXES OUT THE DOOR... ITS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU EMAIL ME IF YOU ORDERED DLS AND DONT GET A EMAIL...

MIXED DAYLIES TO THOSE I OWE LATER THIS WEEK... NEED TO REST....

GLORIA

• nyvoices99
    18 years ago

Hugs to my best buddy JO, I wish I could call you right now, but it is to late:( So I will share this with EVERYONE, I just spent 3 hours on the phone with Susan, I GET TO SEE THE BABY NEXT WEEKEND......I don't think I will sleep a wink till Friday..... :)Anita

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

OOOHHHH ANITA,
    That is SOOOOO FANTASTIC. I am so happy for you I just can't begin to say.
    HUGE HUGS girl,
    Love 'Ya

I just wish I didn't have to work today, we could hang out.
    Gonna call you in just a bit.

Mary B,
    You are right, how do we pick? I thought long and hard before I sent my vote, but it was extremely difficult. And like G says, everyone contributes, and this group is so wonderful. Hey, maybe we should all get a $100 daylily, (just kidding, big grinz)

Just wanted to wish everyone a wonderful day, filled with sunshine, love, laughter, family and flowers,

Jo

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Oh, Anita! Happiness for you! My heart aches everytime I hear news of this. My MIL is in a similar situation with one of her grandbabies and it just tears her apart. She has to deal with an evil $%&$@...I won't say more.

Love ya Marea!

Had an awesome weekend! I was called upon to dig DL's for our club auction Sat. evening, so I did not go to the plant swap. If anyone remembers the the awesome wrought iron furniture that was given to us from a man who lost his wife at the beginning of the year. His wife was an avid collector of the latest and greatest DL's every year. The husband kept them this summer to see them bloom again one last time and now wants to bulldoze her beautiful gardens to plant grass. He is elderly and cannot keep up the maintenance of the garden. He wants our club and anyone else interested in the DL's or other perennials to come get them, otherwise they go under the bobcat. I went out there to dig them and will be back out there next weekend and continue until all the DL's are dug. All the DL's are going to the club for a community club garden to grow and have stock for our Show and Sale and auction. I brought 5 huge (I am talking 50 fans) clumps home to foster until we get the community garden plowed and ready. Only the president of the club and I showed up to dig, so we took double and triple fans of each one that we dug and labeled them for the auction. There were a couple of $150(Eureka) '04 Salters that went at the auction for $25!!!! Many nice DL's going for less than $10.

We spent $64 and came home with 7 new Dl's.

Magic Carpet Ride
    Artistic Pink
    Dave Rhyne
    Key To My Heart
    Indy Electrofied
    Larger Than Life
    Comfort Zone

Now Key To My Heart we did not win. Anyone familiar with the Oakes here local to me? Doug and Stuart Oakes got in a heated battle over this DL, and I think it got up to about $30 (Whoa big price, LOL), and Doug back down and I about fainted. I wanted that DL so bad! There were 5 fans, and Stuart broke a double fan off and gave it to Doug. Doug offered to pay half of the cost and Stuart said no. He's an alright guy :).

Ok, out of here to make room for the new children in the garden. Hmm... guess I need to dig some DL's up.

Gloria and Jo, your box will be on their way this afternoon. Will email confirm #.

Ya'll have a great week!

Canna, Canna-havana, banana-banna...

• gloriab3
    18 years ago

INSPIRATION HITS AGAIN!!!!

i HAVE A GREAT IDEA,,,, SINPLY GREAT!

dEBBIE AND MAREA ARE THE ONES THE FANS WENT TO... AND I CAN HEAR IT NOW,,,, SO, THIS IS MY IDEA,,,, ARE YOU EXCITED ONCE AGAIN....

TWO FANS WENT OUT FROM THE DOUBLE FAN THE MAN SENT ME....
    AND I THINK EACH YEAR AS THEY PRODUCE A FAN EACH GIRL SHOULD THEN SEND A FAN ON... AND SO IT GOES... IN TWO YEARS 8 FANS WILL GO OUT AND THEN 16 ECT ECT....

tO COOL RIGHT.... SO YOU GILRS..AS SOON AS THEY GET TO YOU CUT THOSE FANS BACK AND START WITH THE MIRACLE GROW!!!!!!

TOOOOO FUN!!!!!
    iM SERIOUS AS i WANT A FAN TOO! SO LET ROLL... NOW THAT i THINK OF IT....WHY DONT YOU TWO GIRLS PUT THEM UNDER GROW LIGHTS!!! GRIN

CANNA..... WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DL KEYS TO MY HEART IS,, HAD NEVER SEEN IT.... ITS AWESOME.... 5 FANS WAS A DEAL AS WHEN I LOOKED THEM UP THEY WERE COSTLY! YALL ARE SO GREAT TO BE ABLE TO GO TO AUCTIONS.... DO THEY SHOW PHOTOS OR YOU JUST KNOW WHAT EVERY DL LOOKS LIKE>?

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

G, some come with photos, but among us, someone will usually know what they look like and can describe them. If not, we refer to the Eureka for descriptions and also the going price. Most DL's donated to the auction come from member's gardens.

Auctions are soooo much fun...yet dangerous!

Canna

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

canna
    i so wish i was close to you! my nearest society is 2 hours away and i NEVER find good deals on daylilies! congrats on your wins! feel free to go through my want list and pick me up a christmas present! lol
    enjoy the new babies!
    cody

• mamabirrd
    18 years ago

Hello all!

MaryB, your Sept. package is just about on the way. I am off to the PO right now. Here is your D.C.# 0304 3490 0000 2920 0057
    I hope you enjoy everything! And thanks for picking me. : )

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• budsnblooms
    18 years ago

Oh My....I never win anything. Thank you for your loving votes. If you have been with this wonderful group any length of time at all, then I know you too have picked up whatever needed to be done and without an expectation of even a thank you, did whatever needed done. Mary and Gloria are right in saying that depending on the time frame you are looking at, there have been many people who have worked very hard on the groups behalf. I can see why each person who was listed in Gloria's post was chosen. I voted for Marea, because of her kindness, love of the group, sense of fairness, honesty, and for the amount of work she has done for us. I was just lucky to be helpful at the right time and I hereby pledge to share this daylily with someone(s) each year until everyone in our group has one. Thank you....Thank you...Thank you......
    Debbie/buds

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

carol, debbie, ellen and tanarae
    i have your seeds ready to go. i need addresses, i may just be able to send in a regular envelope. if you'd rather not try it this way let me know! i need all of your addresses.

debbie
    what else besides spc sunshine did you want from me? do you think you'll be ready to send this fall or not. either way is fine with me!
    cody

• mamabirrd
    18 years ago

Okay Mary B, your package is headed to NY. I hope it gets there quick, it's supposed to be so hot. Hope you like it!

I wanted to say CONGRATS to Marea & Debbie.....I voted for the both of you (& Canna too) because you have really done alot for all of us. It has been so appreciated!

I agree, depending on the time and the situation, I think everybody helps in one way or another. It was very hard to narrow it down.

I want to thank whoever picked me.........not sure that I am any help, but I am here whenever you need me. : )
    The nomination was such an honor and better than any Daylily EVER!! It certainly made me smile. Big hugs to you all.

Woooooo hooooooo, we won!! Thanks for cheering for us Marea!

Oh, and I wanted to tell you (Marea) that is just the coolest thing about the "Marea Fiat". How clever of you! Wonder if there is a "mamabirrd" car???????

Anita, i'm so happy to hear your GREAT news!!! Things are going to be fine.....you just have to take one step at a time. Baby David is lucky to have the best grandma!

Dirtpiggie, I'm soooooooo sorry, I just remembered while mowing this morning that you asked me about clothespins days ago. My birdie will play with any kind. Especially the wooden ones that "clip" with the little metal thingy that holds the two wooden pieces together. Maybe not safe for some birds, but my big fella loves them. First he shreds the wood (takes 2 seconds), then he plays with the little metal piece for at least a 1/2 hr. I get big bags of them at the dollar store.
    How is your bird-bird doing?

My baby Leroy, aka Skink,(African Grey) just started telling me that "he loves me". It is sooo precious.

Here's a pic of my grandma's carpet at the LUAU...she made all this confetti and it covered the ENTIRE house!!! She is still cleaning it up and I got an envelope in the mail yesterday full of it! She included a note saying, "The Luau isn't over 'till all the confetti is cleaned up". She is so funny.
    {{gwi:1299877}}
    Notice a piece of my grass skirt in there : )

Have any of you ever grown Salvia 'Black & Blue'? I highly recommend it. You can't believe how the hummers love it. Here is one of mine......

It also adds some nice color to the fall garden when most things are done blooming. Hardy to about 15 degrees. You can overwinter it indoors, and cuttings root easily too.

Well, i've got other pictures to show and other things to gab about, but it's 88 degrees out and I need to be out there. Days like this will be gone very soon. Call me crazy, but I love heat and humidity.

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• skohler
    18 years ago

Dawn
    your box is on the way hope you enjoy :)))
    0304 1560 0005 8057 3199
    hope you enjoy your feather down :))
    susie

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Got my august box today, thankyou pal I love my new days.Gonna get my sept box off real soon by end of week for sure. Hand in there sharon I'm buried in puppy poo. Anita I knew this would happen for you and so happy it has.

• mamabirrd
    18 years ago

Thanks Susie, i'm sure I will. Yay, 'Feather Down'!!!

Carol, I was just tending to my ol' pup, Oreo, and thinking of you. Enjoy your days of puppies and poo....before you know it they'll all be in new homes. I laughed so hard when I read about your pup in the tub. Hee hee!

Where are all of our peeps??? Lots of you missing lately....please check in.

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• tanarae
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've been peeping but I am still new and a little shy. LOL Just kinda watching to see what all goes on over here. Tanarae

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Good evening everyone,

ANITA!!!!!!! This is wonderful news. I'm so happy for you! I knew that things would turn around once the initial anger died down. I know it probably felt like forever though,

Tana, tell everyone about what you're doing! I'm sure everyone will be rooting for you like me. Some people's stories go back a long way, don't be afraid to ask why we're all cheering for Anita. Anita's son and DIL (not sure if they're married) have a son, the apple of Anita's eye. They had a fight and she was threatening to not let Anita see him - ever. Anita was ready to take her to court. Guess the court doesn't have to get involved after all!

Cody, I'd rather have a bubble mailer. Do you want me to send you one with postage?

Hey all, I think I'm finally making headway on the weeds! I doubt that I'll ever have a weed free yard though. Only got one big garden left to go!

Ellen
    Ellen

• gloriab3
    18 years ago

CAROL.... IM SO GLAD YOU DID GET YOUR BOX, I WAS SOOOOO WORRIED..... WE HAVE HAD GREAT ROUBLE WIHT THE P O HERE.. GREAT! GAS PRICES KEEP ME FROM RUNNING INTO A DIFFERENT TOWN....75.00 IS WAY TO MUCH TO FILL A DANG GAS TANK SO I AM ON STRIKE,,, I REFUSE TO DO IT. oUR GOVERNER EVEN TOOK 15 CENTS OFF EACH GALLON FOR THE STATE TAX ON TV HE SAID WE HAVE ENOUGH MONEY PEOPLE NEED RELIEF.. I FEEL OUT OF CHAIR! OUT!
    ( FLOOR NOW NEEDS FIXING)

ANYWAY CAROL DID THEY COME IN GOOD SHAPE????

ALSO CAROL ONE SPECAIL ONE DID NOT MAKE IT IN YOUR BOX BUT THEY WILL COME WIHT YOUR MIXED DALS.... SHIPPING OUT LATER...
    HUGS ... GLORIA

PS
    GOOD MORING DIRTPIG....

GRIN

YES TANA TELL US TELL US WHAT ARE YOU DOING????

• mareas
    18 years ago

Oh you dear friends! How come you regularly make me cry? I just cherish your friendships and am so happy to be able to share my love of gardening with such extraordinary people!
    I voted for you, Debbie, for exactly the same reasons!
    I promise to share my daylily until everyone has one, too!

Anita - SHEER JOY!

My Sept box arrived today from dear dirtpig/jean - a bulging flat rate box with FIVE daylilies,a beautiful candle in a butterfly clay pot and M&M'S (!!!) I keep forgetting candy - such a wonderful gift! and omigod huge exotic bulbs! Thanks again, Jean. You were more than generous. Off I go to discover what on Earth 'Nectaroscordum Silculum' bulbs could possibly BE befoe I fall into bed...marea

• User
    18 years ago

Anita, I'm so happy for you and baby David. I'll bet you can't help yourself from kissing him the whole time he's visiting (I know I couldn't).

Congratulations, Debbie and Marea on the megabux daylily. Please post a picture when they bloom for us to enjoy till we get "our share" of the prize. Gloria, what's the name?

I've got a completely unrelated/OT question: if I throw grass seed down now, will it fill in by the end of October? My backyard was so lush and pretty for the rehearsal dinner and the drought just fried it. Looks like Beirut now. I'm having an Oktoberfest and would like the yard to look good.

Talk later, Dianne/dian57

• toomanyanimals
    18 years ago

Marea and Debbie, Congrats! You two certainly deserved the 'MAJOR AWARD'!!!

Anita, I too am very happy for you!

Canna, I have never grew the 'black and blue' salvia. But I saw it 2 summers at a garden and loved it!! If you have any extra seeds I would be grateful. I think your Grandma will be finding confetti for years!!!!!!

Dianne, I just wanted to say again what a good game you posted. I too had figured it out early, but was having fun at the 'Posen Potato Festival' that weekend! LOL

Tanarae, Just 'Pop' in and say what is on your mind. We love pictures too.

Marea, I had to look up the 'Nectaroscordum Silculum' bulb. Looks beautiful! Looks like some of the Alliums.

Carol, take care of that 'puppy poo' first! You will have to post another pic. of those puppies doing something cute. They must be getting big now.

I'm still collecting a few Daylily seeds from my garden. Even have my Darla Anita and Zepher's Song still blooming. My First Knight has send up a new stalk with about 8 buds that will bloom in the next week if the weather stays warm.
    This is my first year of having tons of Darla Anita blooming. I am very impressed with it.

Tons of Laundry, yard work, grocery shopping and visiting Dad to be done today.
    Sharon/toomanyanimals

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

Morning all you wonderful daylily peoples,

AHHHHHHHH, a day off, yes, yes,(well, not quite, I intend to work in the gardens, but thats different isn't it?)

Deb and Marea,
    CONGRATS to you both, you really deserve that mucho expensive daylily. We love you both.

Ellen,
    We really need to get our trade going, we have had nights in the 40's here, and 2 nights ago it was down to 40 exactly. Have you had a chance to look over my list I sent you? Glad you are making headway on your weeds.

Shirley,
    I think I am going to start getting your things ready to send, and if the peonies aren't here by next Tues. I am sending you your box without them and will send them when they get here.

Anita,
    If your funky little self is reading this, "CALL ME" (grinz)I thought maybe we could get together today if you don't have other plans, DD is home to watch my mom today.

I will leave you with a cute little joke;

Several little boys went out one night, tipping over outhouses. The next morning, one was called front and center by his Dad.

Dad; "Son, were you and your friends out last night, tipping over outhouses?"

Son; (who had been studying George Washington in school) "Father, I cannot tell a lie, yes we were."

Whereupon, his father put him over his knee and spanked him soundly.

Son; (through his tears) "But Dad, when George Washington told his father the truth about cutting down the cherry tree, he didn't get a spanking."

Dad; "thats true son, but George Washingtons father wasn't "IN" the cherry tree when he cut it down."

Have a great day everyone,

Big hugs to all,

Jo/juspeachy

• onesherri
    18 years ago

Wow, that salvia is very stunning.

Canna, those auctions are fun. Went to one with Cindy when I was at her house last. Its amazing to see how cheap some of them go.

Debbie, I am going to try to get your box dug either today or tomorrow. Sherri

• tanarae
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good morning ladies. I guess Missy Ellen wants me to share what I have been doing so here it is. It has been a dream of mine to start a small garden center. I have a small house in the town where I work and it is located in a semi-commercial area. So I found out that they would allow me to put in an in home business there. So that is what I have been doing in every spare minute I have is working on the old house to fix it up and open a small garden center in the first part of march. I have come a long way on the house and am close to starting to put in my display gardens. I hope to collect lots of daylilies for a couple of large beds. I have been trading and buying daylilies for this purpose. I will purchase a lot of them in the early spring as well to sell at my garden center and if anybody knows of a good reputable wholesale supplier please let me know. This undertaking has been keeping me quite busy but it is exciting for me as well. I am getting older and this will probly be the last opportunity for me to do something like this so I am giving it my best shot. My mother is investing and has formed a LLC company with me for this project. She is retired and needed to invest some money for tax purposes and so it really has helped us both. Cant wait. The opening day is March 1st, 2006. Sounds like a long time but I have plenty to do to be ready and only hope I can pull it all together by then. Thanks for listening. Tanarae

• gloriab3
    18 years ago

OH I love starting new bussiness and people who have the vision to do that! you go girl...!!!! You'll have to send us lots of photos when you get it up and going..... the sky is the limit! awesome!

JO check with shirly as I think she left sunday on vacation for 8 days.... if anyone is friends with her there is a huricann heading straingt for her,,, not a cat 5 but none the less a hurrican... I hope she knows,,,, someone get to her if yah can,,,,

who in the world said they have tons of darling anita blooming.....

our anita sent me a fan on our first trade, but i never told her it , well ah... it... well ah....

our next swap will start on sept 15th...

heads up gilrs...

someone post for all to start posting again.. i meant emaill

oh and i have a bone to pick with miss dawn and miss debbie as I found out something and yall didnt tell me.... to the corner girls.. to the corner....

has everyone recieved their sept boxes???? if yall need to email me privately thats cool....

all new girls that want in this sept 15th trade sign up NOW!!!!!!
    yall are gonna be first! yahhooooo!

cute joke....

heres somehting worth pondering... on my ice box..

The first sign of wisdom is the ability to shrug!!!!

ok everyone practice.... it feels goods.. looks dumb but feels good.
    hugs for today.... 1 and two and three and four..shrug shrug...

oh susan flowers is well and alive and reads .... I sent her co op daylilies...

bomb her with emails... see what happens,,, grins!!! dont tell her i said!!!

tanna.... yes, I was in that group sweety but didnt like all those emails coming so I backed out. I really really like casper.... alot.. she went to disney right? she is awesome...

if one had fleas in their house how would one get rid of them???? Thats if one did.... HELP1
    Over 100.00 in grommer bills... two days later dogs got em again..... help help help...

thats if one did.....

help help...

hugs... gloria/gloria/ mama g/ mamabear/fleabitten..

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Jo - sent you an email about out trade!

Tana - you should know that there's a few of us who sell but only on-line. I had great success growing pumpkins as an experiment this year. I think I'm going to do a pick your own pumpkin patch next year. It's been waaaay too easy.

Gloria - been there done that - bomb the house. You can buy flea bombs or foggers at the pet store or at the vet. Once they're all over the place - it's the only way to go. Give the dogs a good flea bath at the same time so they don't bring the fleas back. Worked every time. Luckily it's been years since I've had that problem.

Gotta go dig. Too hot today!

Ellen

• skohler
    18 years ago

FLEABITTEN

Bomb the House yes bath the dog but them
    Put vinigar in your dogs water dish zapp no more fleas on the dog . or cats . yeast tabs are also very good .

as for the sept 15 th swap sure would like to join .

just let me know what is to be done :))
    susie

• budsnblooms
    18 years ago

G...I'm standing in the corner..... but you're supposed to tell me what I did wrong. First rule of parental punishment.(lol) Dawn is here with me, did we do the same no-no? I'm glad the $$$daylily was aleady on it's way before I got in trouble(innocent grin).

Tana....Your business sounds so exciting. I have thought about a pick your own strawberry patch, like Ellen's pumpkin patch, but we live so far out, birds don't even fly over. I doubt anyone would drive this far to get them.

Sherri...I'll start watching for the robin this weekend. I can't wait to see what I got. The driveway/lane to our mailbox is about a quarter of a mile and I often have my boxes open and gone through before I get back in the house. I love surprises (doing a ~Marea giggle). BTW what is this sign called ~ ? Someone told me once but I forgot. I know it's not important. But it's one of those pesky little things that buzz around inside this empty head of mine.

Susan...Hurry back...We all miss you...Especially me....
    Psst...Gloria could use your help too (don't tell her I told you)...just jump in and start posting whenever you are ready. I'm going to start bugging you with e-mails too:O)

G...Ellen is right about the fleas...Been there and done that too.

Thanks everyone for your congratulations, your votes, and especially your kindness.

Has anyone heard from Janet? The new grandbaby cant't be taking up every minute of her time....COME HOME JANET.

Joey...Please let us know if everything is okay with you guys. Please come back as soon as you can. You're missed too.

Becky (Becdav). Come out of those mountains and talk to us:o)

And where or where has our Cindylu gone...Oh where, Oh where can she be?

Sherry B, Maryanne, Susie, Carmen, and Tana (Our newest Friends) Get ready to ROCK & ROLL...and start stuffing those boxes after the 15th when G. tells us the rules for the next swap.

Everyone get ready for Deni's e-mail game....If she is calling it a "doozy," I'm calling Menza (you know, that group of geniuses).

Also...Cody is thinking about sponsoring an email game...Lets encourage him to share some of those big buck plants of his :0). Don't worry Cody, little buck one's are great too. Just had to yank your chain. If you haven't checked out his trade list, go take a look, it's unbelievable. For those that don't know...To look up one of the members trade list, get your Traveling Daylily Member List out and type in the usual http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/and put the name inside the ( ) beside everyones name. In my case it is http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/budsnblooms.

Debbie/buds

• gloriab3
    18 years ago

oK SOOZIE q

VINEGAR IN THE WATER DISH???? DO THE DOGS DRINK IT ???? LEASE EXPLAIN.... IM ONLY AN EXPERT ON m&M.S

PLEASE TELLLL ME.. i AM STUNNED!

PLEASE...

WATCH FOR SEPT 15TH.... ITS NOT BILL DAY.... MORE DAYLILIES ARE COMING DAY....

HUMMMM MY TWO CORNER GIRLS,,,,,

HUMMMMM, ITS ABOUT DLS THAT BOTH YOU ALL DID NOT RECIEVE NOR REPORT!!!!!!!!! HUMMMMM NOW WHAT SHALL WE DO??? WITH YOU TWO! HUMMMM

FLEA BITTEN HEADING FOR BOMB STORE... AND WALLY WORLD FOR VINAGER... AND THE WOMEN DR FOR YEAST TABS... GRIN!

HUGS G..... LORIA.... GLORIA... YES, i AM SINGING!

MORNING TO YAH DIRTPIG.... YES, JOEY PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE SWEETY EMAIL ME....

HE WORKS WITH SOMEONE HERE.... WHO WAS THAT???? SAID THEY SAW A PHOTO OF HIM IN/AT OFFICE???
    HELP!
    i SAY WE MAIL BOMB HIM

HUGS AGAIN..

CANNA " mICHAEL" CALLED.. HE "wants" ME!

tHAT OUGHT TO STIR HER UP....
    OFF TO WORK IN YARD... UGHHHHHHH NOT RESTED YET!

CAROL WANT TO SEE PHOTO OF YOUR NEWEST DL COMING?

WHERE IS EVERYONE... i THINK THEY HAVE GOTTON LAZY AND WAITING ON EMAILS ONLY..... HA WE WILL FOOL THEM,,,

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Back away from the 'Michael'...if not, may fleas infest your undees!

Susan!!!! Love ya, my hoosier sister! I have been thinkin' about you today. Guess what bloomed?

No need for sticky fly tape!
    {{gwi:1299878}}

He He, Jo!

Dawn, I have black and blue this year. Love it! How do you pick up the blue in your pic? Mine always turns out too purple. Oh, took the kiddos to the zoo last Sunday and I thought about you! We went to a bird show and saw so many cool birds.

Anybody interested in $5 daylilies?

Canna

• skohler
    18 years ago

yep VINIGAR water For the pets & you don't have to over do it .
    2 tbs of VINIGAR in fresh bowl of water 2 times a
    day for 2 wks .
    as for the yeast tabs I think its 1 per day I had my dog for 12 yrs and never no fleas , my grandmother tought
    me this .
    Viniger gets in the blood system fleas do not like that & will leave .
    as long as the water is fresh & cold your pet will drink the water with the viniger.
    it may take time for them to get used to it but it will work.

happy gardening all
    susie

• gloriab3
    18 years ago

I am doin Mareas happy dance....

would it work if i drank viniger too! hey ill do anything!

Canna...

sweet canna....
    may fleas invest the undies.... oh canna... and i just wrote your frined that we were friends...
    and I showed Michael... he didnt laugh.... grinning big!

• veeja11
    18 years ago

I would love to see my newest daylily Gloria. sharon mailed your box today, should be there thursday confirmation number 03041560000326473783. hope you like the plants I picked for you

• gloriab3
    18 years ago

HUH????? cAROL SWEETY WHY DID YOU MAIL ME ABOX????????
    i WAS TO SEND TO YOU BUT I DONT THINK YOU WERE TO SEND TO ME......
    HAVE I MADE A MISTAKE?????

HELP DEBBIE!!!! HELP!!!!

BLESS YOUR HEART!
    EMAIL ME AND ILL SEND A PHOTO i DONT KNOW HOW TO DO IT HERE ANYMORE..... DANG IT ANYHOW,,,, I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE PRINTED TOSE INSTRUCTIONS OUT! DANG IT!

LOVE FLEABITTEN/ VINEGAR SMELLIN/MICHAEL LOVING/HOTTIE!!!/GLORIA

• mamabirrd
    18 years ago

G!! What did we do?? Debbie, help me out here......I don't want to stand in the corner. A DL that "I did not receive nor report"???? Well how can I report it if I did not receive it??? HELP!

Susan!! We miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cindylu!! We miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joey!! We miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RM!! We miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gaygay!! We miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becky!! We miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who am I missing??????

Debbie, I am soooooo very sorry for not wishing you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I hope it was wonderful. And I really did mean to tell you........

Jo, thanks so much for giving me the scoop on those "birdie DL's". Looks like my paycheck is gone before I get it. Oh well......another day, another Daylily, oops, I mean dollar. : )

Anita, are you still smiling??? : )

Canna, not only will I take a few $5 Daylilies, i'll take a goat too, please.
    What a bloom!!!! That must be what I am looking forward to............I think I got the same plant from Susan last year. Awesome!
    I love the zoo. I'll bet your kids had a great time. We have the National Aviary right here in Pittsburgh ( I believe i've mentioned that already) and we go a couple times a year. And our zoo (The Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium) is awesome.
    Did you see that they just relocated the penguins from the New Orleans zoo to Calif.? They will be housed there temporarily 'till things get back to normal. You can check out the video on www.msn.com under video highlights. Type in "flight of the penguins" in the search.
    I have a soft spot for penguins. : )

Susie, great tip about the vinegar. I will definately pass that one around. I love natural remedies.

Tana, very exciting!! Please take pics. We want to see all the developments.

Well, my spaghetti squash, steamed cabbage, and veggie burgers are ready, so I must go.

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

*puke gag barf*

Ok feel better now. Where's my steak? :)

Coty LOVES penguins! We had to go to that exhibit about 4 times.

~Canna

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

i too love the penguins. i want some penguin eggs and they can live in the ponds here!

canna
    i would be interested in some five dollar daylilies too!! let us know further instruction!

sharons list should be more impressive than mine but she doesn't list everything!! i want zephyrs song too!

oh ps does anyone have an extra blueberries and cream kicking around?

• gloriab3
    18 years ago

oh my gosh.. when i read puke gag barf
    I knew Michael really would love me forever,,,,,,,

oh that was tooooo funny!

ona side note the San Diego zoo is the most awesome zoo on this planet Bar NONE. We use to be members( be nice canna)
    we use to spend hours there... i miss it.... we use to only have to pay... are yah ready... 2.99 to get in.. husband was in the navy.. salior days, he was such a cutie!!!! ( sorry michael!)

well Im broke again..... went to the 5.00 dls..... shes very very nice canna... good job!

Dawn,,, when you dont get a box in august your suppose to say!!!!! Even in private,,,, say!!! ok???? back to the corner.....( till commerical) hugs!
    and their Pen house is way too cute... pent house...lol it alsmost is they are VERY happy there... very!

• msbernard
    18 years ago

This is confession time tonight. Maybe I'll feel better if I share my woes. I am out of room. I spent the entire day going border to border saying over and over "what am I gonna do". I still have 40 potted plants to plant + 2 peonies in pots that I bought 04/30 at Adelman Peony Garden's in Brooks Oregon. That over the Cascade Mtn Range and then up the I-5 freeway until the Brooks junction. The 2 left to plant are Red Charm and an intersectional peony Scarlet Heaven. I still have 2 peonies coming. A neighbor over in Bend does retail sales out of his garden at about 1/2 price of anyone else allowing me some real savings which I promptly spend somewhere else. I am getting MacKinac Grand and another Bartzella as I could not pass up the price. I spent $250.00 on the Bartzella I have. I have 15 daylily hems waiting to be planted + the dozen co-op purchases that will be arriving any moment and the ones dear Ellen is sending. I am about as stressed out as any one person can get and all because I could not stop buying these beautiful wonderful plants. I guess you can tell that buying plants is my all time favorite thing to do. I've had 2 cousins come over from the valley over with their trucks and I basically cleaned out all of my beds in anticipation of filling those empty spots with all my new plants. However, I have now used up all those empty spots and now once again I am in a fix. - well I'm sure you guys all know this story. I am flat out addicted to plants. I live on a small city lot and it is bursting at the seams. Last year I started putting my beds to sleep for the winter season on September 1st and was done mid-October. I have not cut back anything and it is mid-September. I'm going to be out there in the snow. Yadda yadda yadda - thanks for your ears. I may feel better when I wake up in the morning. My oh my..... what am I going to do. I am going to be a strong woman and get these plants in the ground is what I am going to do. SherryB/ msbernard

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

sherry
    do you really want to go into this, cause i can beat you every time!!! lol! i have 160 daylilies from this year rowed out that can't stay where they are. i have 15 more coming this week. i recently started a new 300 square foot daylily bed, i need to rototill and preen again, but i broke my foot at work a few weeks ago and still can't walk on it. i also have three peonies that still need to go in the ground, plus 9 grasses rowed out with the daylilies. i haven't cut back anything yet either, although i will start tomorrow. i'm sooo far behind on weeding because of my foot. you should have seen the 8 foot pigweed i pulled out last week, hilarious. i've divided 30 daylilies so far and still have probably another 30 that NEED to be done this year. so when you're done, wanna come help me?? just a thought. feel better now?
    cody

• budsnblooms
    18 years ago

Oh....The August swap....Angie had emailed me that things were happening and that her internet was down at home and she was sneaking to e-mail me from work (a big no-no there)and then I forgot all about it until she got her internet back and posted, And now I'M babbling. Dang it Angie, you have to stand in the corner with me and Dawn....Just kidding. Here is what actually happened....Angie had e-mailed and I knew her box was going to be late and I told her it was okay.
    Can we get out of the corner now????Please....

Canna...another KY daylily farm I didn't know anything about...THANKS....i think????

Cody....From what I hear, penguins would love the Michigan winters...BRRRRRR

G....I had down that Carol was to send to Sharon and receive from Maryanne. Cindy O. was to send to you and you to Dianne and Maryanne was to get a box from Sherry B. If anyone is unsure who to send their boxes to, or who is to send to them....I don't mind at all if you e-mail me:0)
    Here is the current Sept. Swap List:

Cindy O. sends a box to Gloria
    Marea sends a box to Anita
    Dawn sends a box to Mary B.
    Shirley sends a box to Cindy O.
    Cathy sends a box to Shirley
    Mary B.sends a box to Sherri R.
    Anita sends a box to Cody
    Debbie sends a box to Deni
    Sherri R. sends a box to Debbie
    Cody sends a box to Jean
    Jean sends a box to Marea
    Sharon sends a box to Mary S.
    Gloria sends a box to Dianne
    Ellen sends a boxto Sherry B.
    Dianne sends a box to Jo
    Susie sends a box to Cathy
    Mary S. sends a box to Dawn
    Maryanne sends a box to Carol
    Jo sends a box to Ellen
    Carmen sends a box to Jaye
    Jaye sends a box to Susie
    Carol sends a box to Sharon
    Deni sends a box to Carmen
    Sherry B. sends a box to Maryanne

E-mail me if you have any more questions.
    Debbie/buds

• mareas
    18 years ago

...and I was just emailing Gloria about getting me (or her, whoever's first) an emergency ride to the pysch ward for MY daylily addiction! I only have 7 more daylilies in weak fertilizer water in my big stainless bread bowl still waiting to be planted...
    SherryB - pots on the sidewalk are not bad - just group them and water well...
    Cody mon - I am so SORRY about your foot! I broke one of mine a couple years ago and life was suddenly a whole new debilitated ball game. I do wish I could come help - you poor thing with all those projects!
    Jo - it has become obvious to me that is was completely appropriate for me to have sent you that Heroes daylily...
    As for Susan and Joey and the other silent people I care about - I'm trying snail mail now in desperation. ~m'

• mamabirrd
    18 years ago

Huh! I totally spaced out the fact that Angie was to send to me for the Aug. swap. This is the best part....she even emailed me to tell me it would be late and I asked her, "what do you owe me a box from????" What a dork I am. Sorry G!

I think Debbie and I have been punished long enough. My back hurts from standing in the corner so long.

Okay, so somebody here wants to start talkin' about all the plants they have and where to put them and no room left and what are they gonna' do and the snow will be flying soon and why do I keep buying and more plants coming from trading and Daylilies soaking in the good Tupperware....etc., etc.

The story of my life.

I can't even count how many things I need to get in the ground. And no where to put them. I swore I wouldn't put in another bed this year.

Cody, so sorry about the foot. I've had a broken foot before, too. It happened a few years ago, in the early Spring, the day before I was to go back to work at the golfcourse. Fell down my steps 'cause I had these ridiculous, clunky shoes on.
    Then, as if my face isn't red enough, when I got to the hospital they were all out of beds and had to put me in the psych room! Honestly. It had a big, bubbled window on the door and was really dank and dark inside.
    See Marea, i've really been there, lol.

Hope you are all healed up quick. Stinks when that stuff happens in the summer.

Canna, so I guess you won't be coming over for Tofurky Dinner on Thanksgiving????

Glad you all liked the Salvia 'Black & Blue'.

It is definately one of my fave's. Here's another...

Who grows Caryopteris???
    Here is 'Black Knight'....

I absolutely love this late summer blooming, deciduous shrub. Not such a good pic, though.
    Once again, it gives you a ton of fall color and attracts lots of butterflies.

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• namso
    18 years ago

Good morning all,

Boy am i glad to hear that i am the not the only one who can't keep up on incoming. This year i even got a bit smart and lined the driveway with holding pots. Pretty bad when you start planning to be behind....

I am surprised though that the Northern people (Cody - MI?/others) are still planting dl's. My last are going in this week...and i think im pushing it. When do you stop?

Told DH about tentative plans...was a bit worried on reaction. He said he would see if he could get off work and cater. How lucky am I? Maybe those that come will get better than frozen pizza!.

Anita, so happy for you.

Shirley, i hope you are having a nice break. Worried about your box and hoping someone is retriving for you....please email when you get back.

Marea, love that Susan Prichard Petit. More to that want list :).

Dawn, parking- If is doesn't rain have 4 acres to park on. If it rains have 4 muddy acres to park on & various old farm equipment to pull people out with lol. DH collects although i don't think it was ever an intentional thing. OOh and great pics as always....:)

Canna & Susie, sounds like great hauls!

Seedlings - i have a ist year one in bloom. First ever here. Not that its pretty, but ill take what i can get right now. :)

Clay - does anyone know the name of the stuff you can put in to soften? My beds have turned to concrete and i can't remember.

Boxes - wow such great stuff! Think i should have sent a bigger one....G, you did say 1 fan right?

Cindy O/namso

• nyvoices99
    18 years ago

Good Morning Everyone:),

Thank you all for being HAPPY for me, I am so excited, 2 days to go:).

I received a WONDERFUL September box from Marea, I got:
    Daylily Siloam Sunburst
    " Copper Summer
    " Arabian Magic
    " Derby Bound
    " Karla Kitamura
    Iris Glazed Gold
    Gladiola
    & Butterfly Ginger
    MAREA, Thank you so much, Loved everything:) I need to know what to do with the Butterfly Ginger? I have no clue, HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Dawn,
    I grow H. Breathless Beauty, But with all that has gone on I did not get a PIC of it this year, Will try again in 2006. I am going to try to make it to my sisters today, I had planned on going Monday, Well I never made it.. I WILL NOT FORGET YOU:) Looks like the Luau was a blast:) Still ear to ear smiles here:)

Cody,
    Your September box went out yesterday your DC is 0303 0130 0002 4591 9796, I hope you like what I sent:) better add to the 15 new, But I am not telling how many to add:) I wish you luck getting everything done, I know I wont, I never do. Come spring I am going to KICK BUTT dividing, I have to do it in 2006 no matter what!!

Canna,
    I can relate to your MIL, Maybe things will turn around for her as well, It has hurt so bad, I cannot even put in to word's the pain.

Debbie,
    You cracked me up with that wink wink, Yes it felt like a 2nd honeymoon:)
    You would be suprised as to how far one would go for fresh STRAWBERRIES:) I had a very nice place close by called Botchers garden's, It is now a stupid housing development.. Some people...
    Ellen,
    Yes, it did feel like forever, Did you get my post on your post of FRUSTRATED?

Dianne,
    Kissing him, Oh no not me...Big grin here, Already have an issue with my neighbor wanting to steal him 1 of the days I have him... I think NOT, maybe next time, but this trip he is ALL mine. It will be a total of 54 days come Friday. I am not parting with 1 minute of seeing him. Sorry about her luck.
    Grass seed germinates FAST, it should do well if it get it done soon.

(((Jo))),
    My funky self had to spend the day meeting Joey's new lawyer & then off to Bath to get his PA services going again, I did send you an E-mail...I thought letting you know I would not be home Tuesday:(

Tanarae,
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! March 2006 is not that far off. My dream is in 2008 it will be called David's Daylilies, In honor of my DH & Grandson,
    Gilbert H. Wilds has a first ever Wholesale sale going on right now. 260 named Daylilies for $390.00, or they can be bought individually, as I had to do, as of right now I do not have a bed ready to accommodate 260 new Dl's, so I just got 30 of them. I need to use the new bed I have ready for breaking up some of my original Daylilies. Come Spring I HAVE to do it in 2006 or I will never be ready in 2008.

Mamma G,
    Say it aint so, Please say it aint so, It uhh WHAT????? Tell me, come on tell me, I had 1 very week bloom on mine this year, Tell me what's up with yours.
    If one did have fleas, they would not waste money on the $11.00 a can bomb crap, ( sorry Ellen) That's if one did, Oh, OK So as many of you know I have 2 cats & 2 dogs, well lets just say if one did have 2 cats & 2 dogs, one may have fleas.

Susie,
    Vinegar water??? Oh I am so going to try that, I mean if one had fleas they should try it, Thanks & I do buy my vinegar in bulk works wonders on cleaning the pond pumps out...

Speaking of Sue's,
    Our very own Axelsrose sent me this & yes I was thinking of her this morning also, when I walked out & seen it had opened.......WE MISS YOU!!!!!!
    {{gwi:1299882}}
    Apricot ????? Come back Susan & tell me so I can get the tag right on it:)

:)Anita off to plant Marea's babies in my garden. & get Marea's, Dawn's & Debbie's ready to go out...Thanks again Marea

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

Hi All,
    Just stopping in quickly. Need to get out the door for work but wanted to say good morning. I'll be back later.

Anita, so happy for you and little D. I can't imagine how happy you are right now.

CindyO - GYPSUM is what I think you want to add to your clay soil. I am having the same trouble right now. Think I need to totally redo a main bed by taking everything out and really doing alot of soil amendment.

Dawn, I grew salvia 'Black and Blue' this year too. Love it. Glad to hear it's easy to overwinter. Also have caryopteris. I bought variety last year with gold leaves (can't think of name right off , maybe worchester gold). So far flowers are pretty unimpressive.

Sherri, hoping your box will go today. Will email you tonight and let you know for sure.

Canna, bad bad Canna on the site for $5 daylilies!

You all don't even want to know what I have in pots waiting to go in before winter. Somewhere in the neighborhood of about 75 hostas and 50 daylilies and maybe 25 other assorted perennials. Probably underestimating too. Sounds like we all share this illness.

Hey, just want to remind whoever starts new thread that we need to bump up the number to 5700 next time because it didn't get bumped up this time.

Got more to say, but really pushing time. Will be back.
    MaryB

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Vinegar...Hmmm...pickled cat.

What do you serve with it?

~Canna

• mamabirrd
    18 years ago

Dianne,

The good news is, there is hope for your war-torn lawn, lol.

Just scattering seed around without doing anything else probably won't do much good. Reason being, when overseeding, it is especially important that the seed comes into contact with the soil and has space to germinate and develop. If it germinates in the thatch and the thatch becomes dry, bye-bye new grass.

I'm not sure how large of a lawn area you are looking to do, so this may or may not be practical.

Here is my best advice for fall lawn renovation....

I would generally recommend a weed control as the first step, but i'm not sure if you have enough time for that. You generally need to wait a few weeks after doing so before overseeding.

Next, mow area closely (approx. 3/4 inch) and remove all clippings.

Now you must tackle the thatch. Many people just use a good rake and do it by hand. Not me. : )
    Thatch is best removed with dethatching equipment that you can rent by the hour, unless you already have a de-thatcher. Remove thatch on a cooler day when the soil has adequate moisture.

Now I would recommend aeration of the lawn, meaning the use of a mechanical aerating machine that removes plugs of soil from the turf area. This will alleviate soil compaction and prepare a partial seedbed. You can also rent an aerifier by the hour at most equipment rental places. They are fairly easy to use. You must be sure you lawn is not dry as a bone when aerating. If you haven't had rain, be sure to water beforehand.

You can rake up the plugs and add them to your compost pile if you'd like. I use a plastic snowshovel to pick them up after they've been raked into piles.
    If you allow them to dry, they break up pretty easily too, so leaving some of it on the lawn is fine.

Yes, it may seem as though you are tearing up your lawn, but believe me, the more you tear it up, the better it will look.

Now you will want to apply a starter fertilizer. One with a higher phosphorus (middle number) count. That nutrient is very important for young plant and seedling growth.

Okay, now you can spread your seed.

The last step is to keep the area well watered.

I think if you get busy this weekend, you will have a gorgeous lawn by Octoberfest!

Now if that sounds like too much work, you can always just go in by hand and dethatch with a rake, fertilize, overseed, and keep watered. Your results probably won't be nearly as nice, but it will look better than "Beirut", lol.

Hope i've helped a little. That was my condensed version, so please let me know if you need any more help. : )

Back to work,

~The Lawn Ranger / Dawn/ mamabirrd

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

i try not to get any plants after the end september, if they're proven hardies. want to know a little trick? dig a trench now. pot up whatever new plants you getting. let the pots sit wherever you have room, till it starts to freeze. once it freezes put the containers in the trench on a steep angle, so no water can sit in them. pack mulch or fallen leaves or straw in around the pots and put a deep layer over the top of everything. you still run the chance of losing a few, but it's very rarely because of the cold, it's usually from rot, which is why you put the pot on an angle.
    hope this helps yall
    cody