SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pchanggeo

update: update: 10,700 traveling daylilies

pchanggeo
15 years ago

Am I allowed to start one of these???

We're a wonderful group of people that trade daililies and other plants on occasion, but mostly we work on building gardening friendship. If any would like to join this group please get in contact with one of the members and we will go from there. HAPPY SPRING!

I'm cutting down my brugmansia to make room for some incoming banana. Anyone want cuttings? I believe I have Charles Grimaldi, Dr. Suess, Candida double white, and Sunray... but can't remember which is which... sigh. I would really miss having a memory if I could remember what that was like :).

Comments (103)

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Paul-I posted some iris pictures for you. All those are available if you like any of them.

Hope we get more to sign up for our June swap.

Shirley

• mamabirrd
    15 years ago

Where does the time go?
    Sorry that I haven't been posting much. There is so much going on.

I have been busy trying to keep up with grass cutting at both houses and planning a party. Can you believe Talon will be one year in less than a week? I can't!
    We are going to the Pittsburgh Zoo this week to celebrate then having the party at Critter Country. Remember we went there in the fall?

Anyhoo, I'll try my best to get on and catch up soon.

Hugs,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: 11.500 Traveling Daylilies Posts

Q

Comments (116)
    Happy Fourth of July to my dear, old and new friends! I cannot begin to tell you how happy it has made me to read through this thread. I really needed the smiles. I'm not sure how many threads I've missed and I'm terribly sorry for being absent. Debbie, I am so sad to hear of your daughters dx. HUGS I'd like to talk to you via email and will send a note along soon. I had been hoping to get back here many times since the birth of my sweet boy 2 years ago, but life keeps getting in the way. My family is now in crisis once again and I ask for your thoughts and prayers. We really, really need them. I will send out a group email soon - hope I have all the correct addresses. Marea, 'Snazzy Memories' is in it's full glory - magnificent! We never got around to dividing it yet and the fans have grown into a nice clump at the entrance to my Sis' home. My little one is doing so well. How amazing to watch him grow and learn! He is a wonderful garden helper too! Loves to put the weeds in the wheelbarrow, and digging is his middle name. :) I lost my dear dog to old age - he was over 15 years old! He was laid to rest up on our Bluebird Hill. I sure do miss him. Our birds are doing well, but I know they miss us because we are always working. I can't wait until we get the house done and can spend more time with them again. We still haven't moved, but the house is coming along. I do have water now so that is wonderful. But only a hose- no luxuries such as a sink yet. Working on stoning our fireplace now. Electric is done. We have our insulation ready to put in after an inspection next week and then we can finally sheetrock. Still have to put in septic system as well as our furnace, but all ductwork is done. Kind of running out of money so things are slowing down. I did manage to put in a beautiful organic veggie garden w/ DH's help. It was supposed to be a temporary one but it turned out so nice I have to keep it. Daylilies are in full bloom here in Western PA and I think of you all when I step out the door and see all the color you have shared with me. HUGS, Dawn (mamabirrd)
    ...See More

UPDATE: 11,600 Traveling Daylily Post

Q

Comments (36)
    Hi gang - thank you all again SO MUCH for your support!! Herb is walking again & gaining some strength, has nerve damage in his back so my giant of a man is puny right now, but walking!! I got a weekend job taking care of cats at a big boarding kennel nearby & actually get paid to pet cats. Healing. God is good. Paul, I truly loved seeing your photos - awesome, incredible & majestic Colorado tour you gave your boys AND us. I got to drive through CO once, all I saw was the admittedly fantastic & spiritual views from the interstate & a wonderful diner in Denver where I had the best Denver omelet of my life. Carol, I know you Washington people are used to cool & wet, but it was 110 degrees here the other day, and it hasn't rained here since the beginning of June, so you are actually lucky... I've been feeling very lucky with the daylilies this Summer - the heat has given me oodles of rebloom scapes so I'm going to get to enjoy flowers all this month, too, meaning I'm enjoying daylily blooms for 5 full months this year! AND I got several very promising seedlings, some gorgeous faces that appear to have good branching & bud counts. My favorite has to be an Awesome Blossom x Create Your Dream kid: lavender with purple flames & knobby purple edge. And my 2008 Linda Beck x Bobby Martin seedlings ALL bloomed, just 6 buds each, but they ALL looked like both parents - have high hopes for them. Melinda, our Sunkissed Temptation's registration is now pending & it is going to be introduced at the 2012 National Convention in Ohio. The fan I kept has increased to 5 fans since I mailed yours, sent up a rebloom scape AND has 3 proliferations growing on the first scape! Hope yours is doing as well. Hope all of you are well, cool & happy, Love Marea
    ...See More

UPDATE: Traveling daylilies 5500 send a daylily

Q

Comments (3)
    Earthly...I'm so glad you liked your box. Your thank you is so gracious, it makes me want to send you another box:~) We're down to the wire for our Sept. Swap: Here is the list: Gloria Marea JoAnn Debbie Maryanne Jean Mary S Ellen Carol Dianne Cindy O Shirley Susie Deni Jaye Carmen Dawn Sharon Sherry B Cathy Mary B. Cody Sherri R. Anita Have I forgotten anyone. If I don't hear from anyone else by tomorrow morning, this is the list I will give Gloria. This is 24 of our 34 members. I heard that Georgia has been hit by a tornado or tornados today. Say a prayer for Gloria, Jaye, and Carmen and their loved ones. They are our sisters from Georgia. I haven't heard from Deni who is our sister from Mississippi since just before Katrina hit. Does anyone know about her and her family? Keep all in your thoughts and prayers. One other thing. We used to type our names, a slash, then our GW names. Most got away from this practice, but it may help our new people put names with GW names. If you think this will help, you are encouraged to do this at least until everyone gets to know each other. Debbie/budsnblooms
    ...See More

UPDATE: 11,100 Traveling Daylilies Group

Q

Comments (101)
    Happy New Year + 1 day everyone. I had to work yesterday. Usually New Years day is slow ... it's the eve that tends to get busy, but we were busy busy busy. Marea, keeping my fingers crossed that you find a job now that it is 2009. Dianne, I can't see the picture this morning, maybe it will show up later for me. We had some sick ones in my house this week. DD was sick Mon, tue , got better just in time to celibrate new years eve. Then hubby got it. Both kids were out for the new years eve and I was hoping for a nice romantic hot tub with him ... not to be. I spent New years eve taking care of him. :o) We got a new camera for Christmas, the old one is literally falling apart. Now I have to figure the new one out. Karen, so exciting you have a plant trying to bloom ... seems like a little miracle! Shirley, I love the leaves of the arum italicum. I tried growing it one year since they say it can withstand zone 5, but I think it is too cold here for it. Sadly it lasted 2 years and then withered away. We don't get much snow here, so lots of freezing and thawing going on. Paul, Fantastic that your Dolphins are in the playoffs. I'm hoping for a turn around like that for our Lions. My hubby plays the fantasy football too. He says he ended up 7-6 ... won $2.00. LOL Oh, and the people that own the dog we are watching for 2 years are back for a month, so my baby is going away for a while. sad sharon
    ...See More
  • cody_mi
    15 years ago

hey guys i need some big leaved and tall plants. especially looking for hardy clumping bamboos, ornamental rheums, etc. zone 5 please!

• mamabirrd
    15 years ago

Hello all,
    I'm writing you from my bed in the emergency room. I'm having some troubles but hopefully I will be ok.
    DH said I got a package in the mail from our dear, talented Jo! What could it be? I can't wait to go home.
    I will update you on everything as soon as I can.

Cody, I have Macelaya Cordata if you'd like some of that. It makes a bold statement. I need to send some to Jo if she's ready for it.

Wish me luck,
    Dawn (mamabirrd)

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Dawn,
    I'm wishing you all the luck in the world! Hoping your 'troubles' will get better.

Have a Happy Memorial Day Weekend everyone.
    sharon

• marybz5ny
    15 years ago

Morning Everyone,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TALON!!!!

And a happy birthday to all the recent May birthdays that I have missed.

Dawn, saying a prayer for you. Please keep us updated. Love you.

Jo, sounds like the quilt was a "beautiful masterpeice". Hope Dawn posts a picture soon. Thank you for taking on this labor of love for us!

Sorry - I'm another that's been guilty of not posting too much. Work has been just kicking my butt these past couple of months. I'm still working 6 nights a week - some of them 10 hour shifts. Mondays are my only day off, and I'm always so wiped out that I accomplish very little but sleep. I have a 21 day block coming up in July without a single day off. We need to hire about 2 more bartenders cause I am just WAY TOO OLD for this crap! My gardens are suffering again this year - full of weeds and many things that need to be thinned out and divided this year. Ofcourse I've been ordering quite a bit from the coop too which doesn't help matters! Okay, enough crying about me!

Sharon and Marea, I haven't forgotten that I still need to get out my valentine/thankful boxes to you both. I was actually thinking I have a couple of hours this a.m. and I would go dig in the rain, but then remembered that Monday is a holiday and probably shouldn't. Will get to it very soon I promise.

Shirley, I would love to join your swap, but will need to get these other two boxes out first before committing to another. I will let you know soon!

Loving all the photos on the picture thread - thanks for sharing everyone.
    MaryB

• dirtpig
    15 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TALON :)

Sending prayers your way Dawn,hugs

Thank you Jo for your hard work on the quilt.Can't wait to see it.

As for doing the up coming swap,I really don't have anything new to send...hehe..really haven't bought much in new daylilies.So don't I have anything new to send anyone.
    And gardens are moving slow this year or is that me..hehe

Wishing all a FUN and SAVE weekend :)

Hugs,Dirtpig/Jean

• pchanggeo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Talon!
    Dawn, I hope they made a quick diagnosis and get you back to yourself.

Jean, those garden projects are so cool. I've always wanted to learn to weld...

Shirley, thanks for the iris photos... I'm thinking Pink Magnolia and In Your Dreams.

Marea, your iris photos are great too. Love'em all.

I'm packing again... this time for a backpacking trip with my son to San Miguel Island, one of the Channel Islands off the coast of Calif. No water and no food except for what we can carry. Will try to survive for 4 days :). Wish us luck. Hope to bring back some cool photos. Maybe we'll see some whales, and will be hiking to one of the largest gathering spots for elephant seals.

Have a good weekend,
    Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: San Miguel Info

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Talon!
    {{gwi:1264634}}

• luvmybulbs
    15 years ago

Wow, what a day to pop back in.

Happy Birthday Talon!!!!

I hope to see birthday pictures soon. Dawn, my prayers are with you.

Angie

• ellenh
    15 years ago

Good Morning everyone!

I have off today... and I'm getting paid! This is something that I didn't have for a few years. It feels really nice! One of the perks of being back in the corporate world - that and a regular paycheck ... and health benefits.

Dawn - I hope you feel better soon,

Happy Birthday Talon.

Everyone, on the Plant Trades Forum, I posted two NOID irises that I have for trade or postage. The pics are posted there. I want to make room for the named irises I have. Let me know if you're interested.

Ellen

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Happy birthday to Talon and thinking of you, Dawn.

Paul, You lead an interesting life.I hope you have a great trip!

I just put together 31 pics of my bloomers:
    at the link below.

The corn is all planted. Thank you Jesus! That's about 1000 acres.

We are having good weather for horseriding. School is out! Yeah!

Today's little garden tidbit is to run out and find a ribes odoratum shrub. It was something I picked up at a garden group sale labelled "sweet clove bush" They smell so good for weeks. PLant it by your outdoor seating. I have one pictured in my earlier album :
    "sequence of blooms Feb- to May". Also in Photobucket.

I'm going to picture every bloom this year so you can have a walk thru my IL garden anytime! Some are labelled as to who in the group sent them.

:)
    Go get dirty!
    Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: new blooms- zone 5a

• mareas
    15 years ago

Congratulations on getting all the corn in, Karen! Will email you about your luscious photos.

Hope you are ALL having a SAFE and comfortable Memorial Day.

Just wanted to say that I have remembered your brother and sons in my prayers for the troops today and every day.

If one of you nurse types has some time for emails, I'd love to ask you some health questions.

Back out to get muddy, marea

• ellenh
    15 years ago

Wow it's quiet here! I'm home sick today :( At least I get sick days now.

Karen LOVE your garden! Showed my husband and told him that this is what I wanted to do with our side yard!

Ive been doing my first giveaway of flowers for postage. I've got over 10 clumps of these NOID irises that I want to replace with named irises I have sitting in pots. I got a ton of responses. I filled up 5 good sized boxes with irises but I only got rid of two clumps - one of each color. I don't want to throw away the rest. If anyone wants some let me know. The purple ones are very fragrant. The blue ones have a faint fragrance. I may be selling a bunch on ebay. I never thought I'd get to the point of replacing flowers and rearranging my beds. It's always seemed like my beds didn't have enough flowers. They still have too many weeds though :(

Anyone else joining the swap???

Ellen

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

First I've got to say to Karen ... I'm in awe over your gardens!!! I accidently did this look with my roadside garden. It took several years for the sedum to cover the ground. I just stuck several other EASY to care for plants in the area. Lots of terrible things happen to this garden, so I have to NOT CARE about it. But, 'OH MY', I may be out there putting in a few things to perk it up ... to make it look more like yours. I'm in the proccess of getting a tri-colored sedum to cover the bottom of another small garden, but I have to say I'm not as taken with this sedum as a groundcover.

Ellen, hope you are feeling better. Good luck with the new Iris. I'm not a big Iris fan, but the few I have I just love ... I guess I should say I'm not as big a fan as several others in this group. lol

Speaking of Iris, Shirley, the red zinger you sent me has bloomed .... smile, you said when you sent it, that you weren't sure it was red zinger.

Marea, the red one you sent me - stop sign/or something like that, won't bloom this year. I think you can blame my dog. She has choosen that spot as her place to lay in the garen. lol

Also, Marea, I did receive Bobby Martin about 2 weeks ago. There is no way I can split the double fan, they are right on top of each other. Oh, and my Asao Clematis has just starting blooming ... new for me this year too. It is breathtaking.

We had an fantasic Memorial Day weekend. I had 4 days off. We went to the cottage and got tons of work done. I even put in a garden ... yikes ... I used to say, no gardens at the cottage, only at home. LOL
    I didn't believe the forcast and didn't pack a short sleeved shirt ... found one at walmarts for $3.00. sigh.

I'm trying to get every thing out of the greenhouse this weekend so we can take it down. It does look pretty silly sitting on our small patio. Hubby will be happy.

It has finally gotten warmer here and I'm loving it!!

sharon

• pnwjoy54
    15 years ago

Hi,

Just wondering if this is a closed group? And if not? How would one go about joining?
    I'm a long time perennial collector but started collecting daylilies the last 2 years. I have over 300 daylilies, just over 270 are named plus 150 + seedlings. I'm very addicted already. LOL

Thanks,
    Joy

• mareas
    15 years ago

Joy, the way into the group is to have traded with one (or more) of us and be recommended to be voted in. I'm sending you an email
    about setting up a trade. *grin* marea

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Joy...how nice to see another daylily lover....The group used to swap monthly but unfortunately not much swapping anymore. I would love to swap with you if you like. Marea and a few others like to swap. I know Ellen was interested also and I believe that was it. There is another group which swaps monthly called Our Blooming Friends and most of them have daylilies, irises and other plants, check it out.

Sending you an e-mail.

Shirley

• mary_s
    15 years ago

Hi everyone! I have been MIA for awhile, but I am OK. It has been very rainy here but no floods, tornadoes around here yet! My hostas are loving the weather and growing like crazy! It is hard to keep ahead of the weeds this year and seems everytime the rain stops, I am out weeding.

Beautiful pictures, Shirley! My irises are blooming now too! Marea...love the heucheras! Karen you have a nice yard!Paul, looks like a great trip for you and your son and friend! What beautiful country!

Marea, are we still going to trade some hostas? I would be interested in the daylily trade too.

Annette, I think I still owe you some plants from an earlier trade when it was still winter here. Let me know when it works for you!

MaryS

• pchanggeo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone. I completed the trip log for the San Miguel Island excursion. I hope y'all enjoyed the photos. Has nothing to do with gardening, but it's something special that I thought everyone would enjoy. Thanks for all your comments.

Jean, your epi flower is beautiful! Do you know what it's called?

Karen, your garden look amazing. That photo with the kitten is fantastic! You should enter that in a contest or something.

Dawn, if your husband wants to come out with Talon (when he's a bit older, of course), I'd be happy to take them out to the islands :).

My DD graduated Junior High yesterday... sigh.

I'm packing up again. This time I'm taking my youngest and going up to Sequoia National Park... suppose to be 30's at night up there :-0. Maybe it'll put some hair on my boy's chest... LOL.

Have a good weekend everyone,
    Paul

• dirtpig
    15 years ago

Did someone say HOSTAS ..trading...would love to.
    If I have anything anyone wants to trade for.hehhe.
    Ok could do some dayliles too.LOL

Waving to Dawn..Hope your feeling better hun..HUGS

Sorry Paul I have no idea the name of the epi.I got it in a trade a few years back.Being told that it was pink..hehe

Lot of rain here..have standing water all over the yard.

Hugs all

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Paul, great pictures of a wonderful vacation. Speaking of having nothing to do with flowers ... Hope you all know by now that the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup!!!!

RED WINGS!

The parade was yesterday. had a co-worker call in so she could go to the parade. LOL

shaorn

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

This swap can be hostas, irises, daylilies or any perennials.

1. Shirley
      2. Marea
      3. Ellen
      4. MaryB..maybe
      5. Joy (new prospect) maybe in the swap
      6. MaryS
      7. Jean

If anyone else is interested in joining the swap it will be open awhile longer.

I can't believe Brittney is graduating high school. We are having a graduating party for her so better get busy.

Sharon-So glad the iris was red zinger...it had spread over into other irises.

Paul-You are definetely a good dad....way to go spending time with your son.

Shirley

• User
    15 years ago

I'm going to sit here and read about all the terrific swaps you guys do. Space is precious now, although I did find the most absolute perfect places to plant Marea's Lime Frost and the swap daylilies Carol sent.

I'm not even visiting nurseries anymore! So I'm becoming like a Gentleman Farmer of sorts, a Gentlewoman Gardener--doing maintenance, but few new additions.

Please, for the voyeur in me, trade heartily and post pictures!

Dianne

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

Back from vacation...more about that later. I just have enough time right now to ask Shirley to please sign me up for her swap.

Debbie

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Boy, get tired, stay off line and miss lots, Dawn how are you? I am worried now, check in please. happy belated birthday to the worlds sweetest lil boy. prayers are with you Dawn and lots of big gentle hugs
    love ya
    carol

• mareas
    15 years ago

Here's my current favorite song for all you fathers - and mother's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah

• mellen
    15 years ago

Shirley, I want you to know that I received the wonderful box of daylilies and iris from you this week. I have been busy visiting with my sister and nephew who are here from Texas for 11 days. They are staying with my parents so I have been there most of the week. I don't have the list with me here, but I will post it soon. I was, indeed, overwhelmed, to have received so many!!! I have the daylily that I promised you, but I am still waiting for the hosta.
    Thank you so very much!
    Mary Ellen

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Mellen, I'm so glad to see you're posting. I've really been so worried about all of you in Iowa and other places, but I have so many GW friends in Iowa, you tend to worry the most over friends, even though I've not met any of you in person, I still worry for you and family and friends. I agree with a weather person today saying this is the worst thing we've seen since Katrina. I think its very true. My heart goes out to all in this State (and anywhere else affected). Just know, we're all out here thinking of you all and hoping you're safe.

Debbie, hope you had a good time! Can't wait to see pics!
    It really ticks me we couldn't set something up while you were here, even if just to meet each other. We'll have to do that next year.

Shirley, I'd love to be in your swap, especially if we're waiting awhile before doing it. I have completely overly divided my daylilies this year, they need some rest right now and its hard with the heat we've had. But I do have some I can share a little later, and if we could include some named hosta and iris, I can definitely be in. This is my first TD swap and I couldn't bear to dissapoint anyone:) Please fill me in on when we're doing this so I don't have to backtrack on posts, lol, and I'll let you know for sure.

To everyone that has posted pics, they're all awesome! I especially loved yours Paul, you're the reason we have a Father's Day! For special ones like you:)

Have a good nite
    Sassy

• mamabirrd
    15 years ago

Happy Fathers Day Paul! I hope you enjoyed a fun filled day with your family. : )

Sorry i've been absent everyone. I will try and do some catching up this week including posting all the pictures that i've been promising. ; )

Dianne, I am in the process of getting back to you. ; ) Every time I start typing I have some sort of interruption.

It's been a rough couple of weeks. I just saw my 2nd doctor and am already looking to doc #3 in Philadelphia. I will fill you in just as soon as I have more time.

Gotta run.....baby is calling, lol!

HUGS,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

1. Shirley
    2. Marea
    3. Ellen
    4. MaryB..maybe
    6. MaryS
    7. Jean
    8. Debbie
    9. SassyD...maybe

Well our swap list is growing...I know eveyone has probably got lots of blooms now so we can assign partners in two more weeks and then eveyone will have 2-3 more weeks to mail their package. Don't want to let it get too hot to mail plants.

Mellen-So glad you got your plants. I love sharing with each and everyone of you.

Debbie-Waiting to hear about that vacation. I know you had a good time and came home all relaxed and ready to go again.
    I have to admit there have been vacations where it was constantly go...go...go and I came home more tired than when I left.

We bought a fifth wheel camper Saturday so hope to do alot of camping and traveling. With gas prices so high I guess we have lost our minds. Just hope we can sell our other camper.

Remember I told the story about the jar of quarters I was saving for GD Brittney. The jar held $194.00 and she took it without knowing how much was in the jar. She turned down the $100.00 check. So I guess you can say she made A GOOD DEAL. LOL Everyone who attended her Graduation Party loved the idea of it.

Dawn-So glad to see you post...keep us informed on everything...God will take care of you.

Off to bed I'm taking the Youth from Church to Dollywood's Splash Country tomorrow.

Shirley

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Shirley, Hope you had a great 'Splash' on Monday. My daughter is going to Cedar Point today. Only supposed to get to 69 degrees. I told her that was great weather for the rides, but you know teens, they want that 80 degree weather.
    Its kind of neat that Brittney took the jar ... smart young woman.

Marea, Halleleujah was sung at the Band/Chorus production last year at my kids high school. The Chorus instructor introduced the song as the most beautiful song he's ever heard. The young woman did a fantastic job singing, and there was a standing ovation and many tears wiped away.
    Its been one of my favorite songs since the movie.
    sharon

• User
    15 years ago

Marea--I first heard that song on American Idol when contestant Jason Castro sang it and was swept away by it's haunting beauty. I have to admit I don't "get" most of the lyrics, but love the melody and emotion of the song.

Lime Frost is already scaping! I thought it was a late bloomer. Maybe it's still on Oregon time, like a plant's version of jet lag.

Dawn--I've tried a few times to sit at the computer when my grandkids are here and they will have none of it. The moment I open the guest room door they are like bees to honey. Ben goes for the mouse and Emma wants to pound on the keyboard. I imagine Talon is equally enamored by the computer.

Hugs to all,
    Dianne

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

I'm a little late in getting into things this year! Hurt my knee, but have a good helper to dig with me if necessary.
    I can vouch for Joy-she has sent me a very nice box last year.
    I don't have as many nice daylilies as everyone, but can try and send something someone doesn't already have. Let me know if too late to join, if so I'll try and catch the next one. Thanks, Melinda

• mareas
    15 years ago

Oh hooray Melissa - there are 10 of us now in the swap!

Dianne, so glad Lime Frost is staying on Oregon time for you! I believe the plants DO do that the first year...

My first reaction about you not "getting" 'Hallelujah' was "how lucky!!"
    Here, in Leonard's lyrics from the song, is the point:
    "There's a blaze of light in every word
    It doesn't matter which you heard
    the Holy or the broken Hallelujah.
    I did my best. It wasn't much.
    I couldn't feel so I tried to touch.
    I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool ya.
    And even thought it all went wrong, I'll stand before the Lord of Song
    with nothing on my tongue but Halleluyah."

• User
    15 years ago

Dawn--I was just browsing over at Hallson Gardens and came across the most wonderful thread--there's a daylily named TALON!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hemerocallis Talon

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

We must all be on vacation or in our gardens this last week!

Diane, Since i live in michigan i go to hallsons garden site every once in a while. And you know I saw the Talon daylily ... and i'm ashamed to say that i didn't even equate that with Dawn's Talon. Good for you to find it and bring it to her attention.

Dawn, 'my feathered friend' daylily is blooming away in my garden right now. Such a very pretty peach. Since you are the bird person, would you be interested in it?

I'm up at our cottage right now. Started driving at 5am yesterday, got here at 10 am and hubby put me right to work ... groan. It was 80 and we went swimming. But we had thunderstorms.

So yesterday was 80, but the next 2 days we will be in the 60's ... I'm really wondering about that Global Warming stuff!!!!

My roadside garden up here is doing well, too well. Only one plant has died. It was great though, Only a few weeds to remove.

Tons of fireworks were let off last night ... i'd went to bed at 8pm, and then at 11pm a couple houses down had a small party and let off the fireworks. But hey, it was a Sat. night ... hope they had fun! I love lighting off fireworks here over the water ... so safe and pretty.
    But we will wait till its closer to the 4th.
    sharon

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Hey, it's July!!

I bet you are all out dabbing pollen on your daylilies.
    Can you believe I don't have one daylily here at the cottage. :o( But I go for walks and see tons of the tall orange ones. :o)

It managed to get to 72 degrees yesterday, but with a wind that stayed all day. I cleaned out the shed, walked the dog and took a VERY QUICK swim. Burrrrrrr .... but the water was warm ... after a while.

We might have quests today ... they are sailors so its always iffy as to which day they arrive. I better pick up a little.

Tell us which daylilies you are crossing ...

The only ones I crossed, just before we came up here were:
    Zephyr John x Magic Lake

Can you tell I'm a little bored in the morning with no TV.
    Later, Sharon

• mareas
    15 years ago

I would welcome 72 degrees, Sharon!
    Our thermometer read 101 in the shade!! I've been feeling just like Carol's poor squirrel...

Just a few crosses for me this year since I got such a bumper crop of new sdlgs:
    Crystal Blue Persuasion x True Blue Heart & vice versa
    Mareas Angel & Magic Amethyst x TLBB
    & I have that blue pollen in the freezer waiting for Create Your Dream & Victorian Lace.
    I will probably go wild again, though, when Bela Lugosi & Georgette Beldon bloom...

I've got 2 daylilies on my wishlist: Bella Sera & Blackjack Cherry ~ anybody have an extra to swap?
    ~m'

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

Look no further Marea...I have some Blackjack Cherry...Let me check it out for you though. I've traded from it once already earlier this spring and don't remember how much I had left. E-mail me tomorrow and I'll let you know maybe we can box up some other things too and make a bigger trade. What do ya think?

Dawn how are you? I miss reading your happy mail and seeing pictures of Talon and your house.

I'm planning a cook out here on the farm for the 4th. Not too large this time...The wedding reception just about did me in. This will be hamburger, brats, and pulled pork with everyone else bringing the sides. Mostly family and a couple of friends. We will probably have drinks about 4pm, play some hillbilly golf, horseshoes, and a few other games. If the weather cooperates, we also hope to load everyone up in the farm truck and take a tour of the farm. Then back to eat around 7. My son plans on bringing the fireworks. He lives in Indiana and the nice fireworks are legal there. What is everyone elses plan for celebrating the 4th?

Hi Sharon...I'd love to have a lake house...I am soooo envious. But happy that you live one of my dreams;0)

Hi Roxie, Annette, Diane, Melinda, and Miriam...I haven't forgotten you gals, I've just had a lot on my plate this summer but after this week, things should be slowing down and I will get a little something out in the mail to you. Roxie..weren't you and I supposed to exchange a special daylily? If so, I'll add yours to the box I plan on sending anyway. Is that okay with you?

Paul...WOW...what a trip and what memories to share with your son....you're a really great dad.

Anita, it has been really nice talking to you. Are you still doing well.

Shirley...I've forgotten the details of the swap...would you mind posting them again. Have you decided on partners?
    I am so far behind.

Two more months and I will be a Grammy. It's a boy and is due in August. Audra (the mommy) has developed gestational diabetes and is having to give herself insulin. This of course complicates things but the Dr. doesn't expect any major problems. I sure hope everything goes well. Please keep Audra, my son, and the baby in your thoughts and prayers.

Enough for tonight.

Debbie/budsnblooms

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SASSY:)
    {{gwi:1264636}}

• mareas
    15 years ago

Happy BELATED Birthday, Sassy!
    Hope you had love & laughter enough to last until your next one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSL4Eqpm9l4

Shirley, I think our swap is filled.. ~m'

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Yes Marea I do think this is it for the swap.

Paul-I hope to send out your irises Friday, I have not forgotten you.

1. Shirley
    2. Marea
    3. Ellen
    4. MaryB..maybe
    6. MaryS
    7. Jean
    8. Debbie
    9. SassyD...maybe

1. Melinda

I'm hoping all 10 of us are still wanting to swap if not I will take more than one swap partner.

You can send any plant you like for the swap...daylilies, irises, hostas, coneflowers and etc. Please try to get your box mailed by July 25th.

Ellen sending to Marea
    Marea sending to SassyD
    SassyD sending to Jean
    Jean sending to Joy
    Joy sending to MaryB
    MaryB sending to Shirley
    Shirley sending to Debbie
    Debbie sending to Melinda
    Melinda sending to MaryS
    MaryS sending to Ellen

Ellen-How is your weight doing? Hope you get to where you want to be real soon.

Anita-Missing you in the swap.

Dawn, Cindy, and everyone else who hasn't posted lately sure miss you ladies.

Shirley

• mary_s
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Well the garden tour was Wednesday and last evening we got to tour all the other gardens on the tour. It was alot of fun once the major work was done! My DH said my gardens had never looked so good! I admit I did stress a little over the weeds! Now I can relax a little and enjoy the rest of summer! My DLs were just starting to bloom but the Asiatic and Oriental lilies were really putting on a show!
    I will post some pics of the tour soon.

Shirley, I am glad to see the trade is still on and I am now ready! Melinda, I will be out of town starting on Friday, July 18-22 so lets just wait till after then to ship my trade, OK... unless it will get here before the 18th??? Ellen are you going to be away anytime? I am so ready to trade again!I have not done any this summer D/T the garden tour.

Marea, I will email you soon about our pending hosta trade!

Annette, Hope we can finish our Valentines trade now, too.

We are going to the Lakehouse either today later or tomorrow. It is a nice get-away!

I hate to complain but we could really use a good rain. Our corner of the state is about the only place in Iowa that was not hit with the flooding.

Well back outside to pick out some plants to send to Ellen!

Mary

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

Yeah....Shirley is sending me perennials...I love Shirley's garden...Any/all of what you send will be
    wonderful. And I get to send to Melinda...I've already
    checked her want list and I have some things I know she
    will like. How are you Melinda? Are your test still okay?

Thanks Shirley for sponsoring this swap. This group (me
    included) has been slow and uninvolved in recent months. This is not like us...Time to quit snoozing away the summer
    and start getting things done.

Hugs to All,
    Debbie/budsnblooms

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Hello All! Yeah, Finally get to do my first swap with traveling daylilies!
    Mary, that will be fine with me to wait until you get back! Been in a knee brace for 10 weeks and haven't got to do much at all outside but look! Occasional help from my grandson and dgt.
    Debbie, yes I am doing fine, except for the knee thing, but finally got brace off this am!! And I am sure I will be thrilled with whatever you send me!
    Now, for the next question--How many plants do you usually all send for a swap like this that has no rules as to how many? I don't mind sending lots, but don't want Mary to feel shorted or unhappy with this newcomers box! And do you want just daylilies or other things also?
    Anyway, I am thrilled to be in this swap and awaiting any answers to help me make it a good one! thanks, Melinda

• mareas
    15 years ago

Melinda - I always just send what ever I have on my partners list, regardless of numbers...i have a need to break any rules & these people just shake their heads & grin - you can send whatever you are moved to send.
    Three perennials is good. So send 4.
    No need to add cute stuff, just plants is everybody's preference here, including both Mary's... ~m'

• mary_s
    15 years ago

Melinda, Marea is correct. With this group, anything you want to send is great. We all love plants, especially daylilies (That is how the TD name started)! A few of us happen to be hooked on hostas and other perennials too!

Do not stress over it!!!! It is always fun to receive a surprise box of healthy plants from someone else's garden!

Things are really slow around here. Everyone must be outside!

I tried to post some of the garden tour pics but I must have forgotten how to do it. Maybe its something with this new computer. I sent some to Marea.
    MaryS

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Thanks Ladies! I am not stressing, but want her to like my box! I think I have a few things she might not have and will like.
    So MaryS is daylilies all ok or would you rather have a mix of a few things? thanks, Melinda

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Wow it seems like forever since I last posted...don't know where time goes. Sure is good to see everyone getting somewhat excited about our swap, I sure am.

Will try to start a new thread tomorrow so we can post our boxes as they are shipped and received.

Night All

Shirley