SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecap_gw

Spring Visions, Summer Realities

whitecap
13 years ago

The black and blue salvias were a great disappointment. They grew large, and attracted hummingbirds, but the blooms just didn't show up well from a distance. I guess direct light from 9 to 2 just wasn't enough. The ancient at Rainbow Gardens tried to tell me they wouldn't do well, but I thought I knew better. The cigar plants also had to come out. Way too leggy, along with the betony. Never saw a hummingbird go near the cigar plants. I've replaced them with firecracker plants, which are growing rapidly, but haven't bloomed much yet. Time will tell. The Philippine Violet has become something of a brooding giant, towering above all else in the bed, but disdaining to bloom. I read it blooms well in October. It had better. The cedar sage and calylophus are taking a rest, after blooming their hearts out. The big surprise was the Blackfoot daisy, now well over a foot tall and a yard wide. It has bloomed profusely, and shows no sign of slowing down. The Mexican heather is doing well, as is the bicolor iris. The plumbago, as expected, is outperforming.

The dwarf Chinese fringe plants I put in are holding their color well, but I see that some of the regular fringe plants in the neighborhood are turning a sickly lime green. The new altheas are blooming well, and growing nicely. The pavonia is blooming, but is afflicted with powdery mildew, which I expect will be an ongoing hassle. Three of the four bamboo roots I dug up alongside a country road have rooted well, and are putting out a lot of new growth.

Haven't been here much of late, owing to my Ahab-like obsession wih the Great Striped Bass. Hope your toil is being rewarded.

Comments (4)