SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chtorr00

Looking for reality check on bamboo screen project

chtorr00
18 years ago

I live in the burbs slightly west of Philadelphia (Zone 6b), and would like to plant a bamboo privacy screen along my rear fenceline.

Project specs:

Bamboo Type: Clumper (due to cranky rear neighbor, fenceline trenching issues).

Intended screen height: 10-12 feet ideal, a range of a solid 8 feet minimum to a sparse 15 feet is OK.

Screen length: Approximately 65 feet, currently there are about 6 60 foot evergreen trees planted with 5 feet or 10 feet spacing. These trees were pruned on the bottom 10 feet by previous owners, so they are basically useless for privacy. The trees are nice, and I intend to leave them in place.

Width of bed: 3.5 to 4 feet. Very upright bamboos wanted if possible.

Sun/shade: Bed is shaded from morning and mid-afternoon sun, after 3 or 4pm the sun will directly hit the bed during the summer.

Given all these factors, it seems like Fargesia Robusta seems to be the way to go. My plan is to get about 10 or 11 plants, ideally in 3 gallon buckets, and plant them with spacing that will range between 5 and 6 feet. For about half the length of the screen, this will put the bamboo plantings right between the existing evergreen trees.

I realize it will take a year or three to have anything resembling a functional screen, and that is fine. This is intended to be a long-term project to salvage the rear view.

I would like any feedback and tips on the this privacy screen project you might care to share:

1) Is Fargesia Robusta really the right way to go?

2) Is the 5 or 6 foot spacing too narrow? Would a wider spacing (10 feet, say) still be able to fill in the gaps by essentially going "through" the existing trees?

3) The soil is pretty clayey dirt - does the soil need much amending with compost - especially if I don't want the screen to get much higher than 12 feet? Or, would not amending only manage to stall the rate of the intital growth?

4) Is the width of the bed Ok in the long run? I know that I might need to prune some new shoots eventually as the plant expands up against the fenceline, but I am assuming that since this is going to be a clumper it shouldn't be that big a deal.

6) I plan to plant in mid to late April. From what I read, the plantings will need pretty regular waterings though the summer to get them established. I would like to use a soaker hose through the bed for watering the bamboo. How long should a soaker hose in bamboo run daily to keep it happily watered, but not drowned?

7) Any guesses as to when I would have a half-decent screen? Summer 2008, when "they leap?"

Thanks in advance for any guideance. I'm a newcomer to bamboo, and am still a bit wary before pulling the trigger on this big gardening project.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!