SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gc77584

Please Help Me ID This Plant/Weed

gc77584
14 years ago

Earlier this spring, a plant (or weed) started growing in a pot out of which I had pulled dead pansies. The pot was left on the patio, full of dirt. A plant started growing, and at first I thought it was perhaps some type of tomato or squash since the leaves initially looked like those and it was growing tiny white flowers that turned into small, round, green "seeds" that I thought would perhaps grow into something.

I now know that the pods get to be about pea size then turn from green to dark purple, and the mockingbirds love them. I cut open one of the pods, and it was similar to a tomato - fleshy inside with countless tiny seeds. I assume the seed arrived via bird poop. I managed to snatch a few ripe purple pods before the mockingbirds did, and I'm going to try starting new plants from seed since my gardening goal is to plant for the birds and butterflies.

I'd love to know what this plant is, whether weed or not. Below are two pictures; one of the whole plant and another that's a close-up of the leaves and "berries".

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Gretchen

Northern Brazoria County

South of Houston

Whole Plant/Weed

{{gwi:1358208}}

Close-up of Leaves/Berries

{{gwi:1358210}}

Comments (6)