SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
todd_in_texas

Regular Vinegar as Weed Killer (With Pics)

Todd_In_Texas
18 years ago

I've read a lot about using vinegar as an organic weed killer (herbicide) and since my daughter uses the back yard as her playground I was interested in using it there. It'd be nice to use an organic "Round-Up" that I can spot spray weeds and not worry about her running barefoot back there the same day.

I understand that regular vinegar in grocery stores is only 5% acetic acid and that concentrations of up to 25% or so are sold for horticultural use. However, I wanted to give the regular stuff a try.

I went to Wal-Mart and got the cheapest thing of regular old vinegar I could find. I got 1 gallon for $1.47. Here's a pic of the lable:

{{gwi:1346705}}

I found one clump of weeds in my bermudagrass and one other kind of weed in the cracks of our porch. The conditions when I sprayed it were:

Temp: 93F Degrees

Humidity: 34%

Partly-Mostly Cloudy

I sprayed them with the 5% vinegar and then took another picture about 3 hours later which I've posted below:

Before

{{gwi:1346706}}

After

{{gwi:1346707}}

...and the weed on the porch...

Before

{{gwi:1346708}}

After

{{gwi:1346709}}

Hey... for $1.47 a gallon that's a pretty good deal compared to Round Up. Just thought you all would like to see some before and after pics of my test. I'm sure the 5% stuff works best in warmer temperatures and when there's a lot of sun but it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

-Todd

Comments (37)