SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hazelb_gw

attracting goldfinches in Z5 in November

hazelb
17 years ago

I'm new to backyard birdfeeding and have searched the forum messages but not found an answer to my question. I recently hung a black oil sunflower tube feeder, suet feeder and upside-down niger seed goldfinch feeder on a post in my back yard. After about a week and a half, I have birds on my sunflower feeder and suet feeder, but no goldfinches on the niger seed feeder. I've seen a few sparrows (I think) try to get to the niger seed but they can't feed upside down and give up. I put a couple of yellow ribbons on the feeder--at the suggestion of a wild bird feeder store here in Denver--but no luck.

Since I live in Z5 (Denver) I can't plant sunflowers to attact the goldfinches this fall and winter. Any suggestions? Could the problem the proximity of the sunflower seed feeder or soot feeder?

On second thought--I don't have binoculars yet to identify the birds at my feeder, but is it possible that the goldfinches are actually choosing the sunflower feeder rather than the niger feeder? I have to admit, I'm don't know how to identify a goldfinch before it turns yellow!

Thanks for any help!

Hazel Bond

Comments (8)