SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
torajima

2008 Winners & Losers

torajima
15 years ago

I planted a lot of plants this year. Here are what I consider to be my winners and losers for 2008. Note that I like multi-use plants, plants that only do 1 thing well are probably going in my loser column.

WINNERS

Agastache - Golden Jubilee, Blue Fortune, & Cana

I had never heard of agastache before this year, but it has quickly become one of my favorite perennials. The foliage looks good & smells wonderful, the plants were covered with pretty blossoms for months, and they were one of the most popular plants with pollinators. The bottle-brush types (Golden Jubilee & Blue Fortune, which appear indistinguishable to me) were extremely popular with bees, especially carpenter bees and assassin bees. The red and orange cana was one of the preferred plants of hummingbirds, but they were less interested in the pink flowers.

Echinacea (Coneflower) - Magnus, Big Sky Harvest Moon, Sundown, & Summer Sky

Beautiful flowers, loved by bees, and tougher than nails. Out of the 'Big Sky' series, Sundown was my favorite by far... gorgeous orange red blooms. Harvest Moon was a little too 'popcorn yellow' for my tastes, and Summer Sky only looks good at a distance. Up close, the flowers look like they are dying, as the petals are yellowish brown on the tips.

Sedum - Matrona, Autumn Joy, Angelina, Variegatum

The upright sedums (matrona & autumn joy) produced a mass of attractive succulent foliage, which provided a home for several species of spider (including a nursery spider and a few hundred babies) and one large praying mantis. The numerous flowers attracted bees as well as the only Monarch Butterfly I've ever seen feeding in my yard! Between the two plants, I thought Matrona had nicer foliage, but preferred the flowers of Autumn Joy.

As for the 'creeping' sedums, Angelina never bloomed, but the foliage is attractive (yellowish green to nearly orange) provided cover for skinks, and it germinates ridiculous easily (it seems all the sedums do). Variegatum had pretty, variegated foliage and was covered with yellow & orange flowers that attracted tiny metallic looking bees. Unfortunately, this variety was looking fairly ratty by the end of the summer, and if it doesn't come back in the spring it may lose it's 'winner' status.

Penstemon - Huskers Red

Another species I discovered this year, I will almost certainly be trying more varieties next year! I bought it for the pretty purple & dark green foliage, but was quite surprised when it started producing pretty white flowers. The flowers were THE preferred food for hummingbirds and carpenter bees, who basically ignored everything else while the penstemon was in bloom. Unfortunately, the flowers didn't last long, and the plants flopped afterwards, but for me, the good outweighs the bad.

Nepeta - Catmint, Catnip

I planted both Walkers Low catmint and regular old catnip. The catmint produced pretty purple blue flowers most of the summer, and surprisingly, the hummingbirds adored them (this was their third choice, after penstemon and agastache cana). I planted catnip for my cats, but after tasting how good fresh catnip tea is, I may devote a large part of my garden to growing catnip next year! Unfortunately, I don't think it ever bloomed (probably because me and the cats kept it well pruned).

And for those that are wondering, catmint doesn't appear quite as attractive to cats as catnip, probably because it doesn't smell as strongly. However, if you break it or crush it, cats will indeed go loopy for it.

Salvia - leucantha (Mexican Sage)

This is border line perennial in my area. Hopefully it comes back, as it was absolutely covered with purple flowers at a time when little else was blooming. The show finally ended in November, after a hard frost. My only complaint... it didn't start blooming until after the hummers had left... but the bees still enjoyed it.

Dianthus - annual

Although my perennial dianthus didn't fair too well, the supposed annual variety is still going strong. It's January, we've had numerous frosts and several hard freezes (got down to 20 a few nights ago), yet it's STILL green and STILL blooming! I need to find more 'annuals' as tough as this one.

Cinnamon Basil

Yes, another annual, but I've got to mention it as it was one of my favorites of 2008. Mine was growing in pots on my deck, and the slightest breeze would fill the air with it's delicious scent. But it's flowers were the biggest surprise... they attracted pollinators for months, and with flowers and stems slowly changing colors from green to purple to yellow to antique brown, the visual effect was stunning. I'll definitely be growing this again.

Spilanthes (Toothache Plant)

I had never heard of this annual, but bought one at a herb sale for 99 cents. It quickly tripled in size and was covered all summer and fall with pretty (and unusual looking) flowers. It's called toothache plant because the leaves and especially the flowers have a numbing effect when chewed. As I had some tooth issues last year, I was able to make use of it on several occasions... and it actually works.

LOSERS

Salvia - Greggii

I know this plant has a lot of fans, but it did not perform well for me. The largest one never bloomed, and pretty much looked like a badly pruned boxwood bush all summer. 'Wild Thing' did indeed bloom, but never proficiently, and the bees and hummers showed absolutely no interest. I'll give these another year, but if they don't perform next year I'm going to yank them out and plant more agastache.

Achillea (Yarrow)

Not sure why I even planted yarrow... I've always thought it looked weedy. But the new colors look interesting, and it's supposed to attract pollinators. Well, guess what? The pollinators weren't interested. And soon after planting, the plants with pretty pink flowers reverted to boring white, and the pretty peach flowers reverted to an intense, ugly yellow. I soon replaced them with:

Veronica - Sunny Border Blue

This has pretty blue flowers, that's it. Remember what I said about multi-use plants? The foliage was ugly, bees avoided it, and the plants were way too thirsty. I yanked them out and replaced them with agastache, thankfully.

Gaillardia (blanket flower) - Arizona Sun

Boy do I hate listing this one under losers. It produced an enormous amount of flowers for months (you might even say it was blanketed by them), and the bees loved it. Sometimes carpenter bees even slept in the flowers. The problem with these plants is, they all died. And I'm not sure why. I suspect they are not quite as drought tolerant as advertised. Still, I will probably try again next year, perhaps with a different variety.

Dianthus - Firewitch

This was pretty... for about a week. Then it stopped blooming and looked like a weed growing in my flower bed. So I sheered it back like you're supposed to, and it died.

Dianthus - Sweet William

Started from seed, advertised as blooming the first year. It did bloom, but the blooms were all solids (not multi colored like on the seed package) and they had NO SCENT! What's the point of growing Sweet William, if it has no scent?

Comments (28)