SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david52_gw

vegetable 2013 winners and losers

david52 Zone 6
10 years ago

Tomatoes: Casey's Yellow, Ludmilla's ox heart were very successful. Thessaloniki pulled through again with minimum disease issues - this variety seems to have what ever it takes to fight off what ever diseases I get. Everything else did ok - nothing really awful, nothing really spectacular.

I tried saving seeds from Johnny's hybrid squash "ChaCha" and planted those. Very interesting fruit, bit larger, very heavy. Very, vigorous vines - like 20 feet long. I still need to taste it, but looks a winner.

Along the same lines of stabilizing hybrids so as to save seed, my pepper mixes, year two, came out very well. I just finished saving the seeds from four of the most spectacular plants. One hot variety, which is a crazy cross between a jalapeno and who knows what all else, but produces very thick, 6" long, 2" dia, very flavorful peppers with jalapeno heat. Then three sweet varieties of unknown parentage, but again thick-walled and great flavor. Problem with these is cat-facing on the fruit, but thats only cosmetic.

I tried "Highlander" chili hybrid from Johnny's and grew them in containers. Picked at least 20 mature, full-sized, thick-walled chili's off each plant.

Grew sweet potatoes. Goofed that up because I had the plants, root-bound in pots, in the greenhouse before transplanting out. Ended up with a mess of small tubers all twisted together. I need to set the tiny slips directly in the grow-out containers.

Failed completely on Diva cucumbers, again. I think I'll get fresh seed for next year.

Grew one heckuva stand of Italian Large Leaf Basil - rich soil, bit of nitrogen fertilizer, and baboom. The plants were 3 feet high. We've frozen enough for pestos through the winter.

Comments (27)