SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carduus

Part/full shade high-traffic flower for Z5?

carduus
13 years ago

Greetings, perennial gardeners, I have a conundrum. Sitting next to my back door steps is a strange little 2.5x2.5 foot nook with northeast exposure. Between a nearby tree to the south-southeast, a 100+Â tree 100Â to the east, and the house rising to the south and west of it, it probably receives 2 hours of direct morning sun in the summer followed by two hours of dappled sun before being swallowed in full shade for the rest of the day. As itÂs right against the north of the house, fall through spring it will be in the shade of the house from 11:00 on, though it may get a little more dappled early morning sun from the loss of the 100Â treeÂs foliage.

IÂm trying to find a perennial (or a set of perennials?) for this space with the following qualities, from most to least important:

1. Will grow in Zone 5b.

2. Will grow on the borderline of part and full shade.

3. Will fit in a 2.5Âx2.5Â area.

4. Looks okay from above. ItÂs right next to a 2 foot high set of concrete stairs, so weÂll be looking down on it most of the time.

5. Not insanely toxic. I have a 1 year old and a lab mix who doesnÂt mess with plants, but if theyÂre already broken sheÂll play with the parts, and given point 6, this might happen.

6. Can take some indirect hits. ItÂs in a high-traffic corridor with a dog and 3 humans, so there will likely be some brushing against it.

7. Has 3-4 season interest, or at least doesnÂt look awful in late fall through early spring. Dying back completely (or being able to chop it back to the ground) is okay. We have to pass by it to get to the backyard, so itÂs kind of your first introduction to the space.

8. Is flowering. IÂll do arborvitae if I must, but IÂd really rather not go the only-evergreen-foliage route if I can help it.

9. Is scented. Given point 6, thereÂs plenty of opportunity to brush against it.

Is there any perennial (or combo of perennials) that fulfills most or all of these?

Comments (15)