SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anchuz

Just a re-introduction...

anchita
14 years ago

I don't have a specific gardening question, comment or insight (though I'm sure I'll have tons of questions soon!) just wanted to re-introduce myself here. I'm a container gardener in Richardson, near DFW. I used to visit this forum couple of years ago -- mostly lurking, sometimes posting, and was happily addicted to all the fun and knowledge you all had to share... I've only had containers (and a small flower bed in our previous apartment) to garden with/in, and I long for a real garden. But I loved to live vicariously through the friendly and knowledgeable folks here, and tried to implement some ideas into my meager gardening space, which I thoroughly enjoyed doing!

I got somewhat inactive in gardening after having a baby in 2007, partly because I got busier with her and partly because we moved to an apartment where the patio gets NO sun. Sigh... Now that my daughter is almost two, I've started gardening again, with her "helping" me, of course :-) I'm expecting again (a son this time) in late October :-) This time, regarding gardening, I'll hopefully have things in place that I can continue to tend/modify into winter and then start being active again next spring.

I discovered that we can put planters/containers along the walls outside our apartment, and that area does get some sun, so I'm happy with that prospect... For those sunny areas, I've planted daylilies, dwarf cosmos, zinnias and portulaca. And for the shaded areas, I've planted some containers with shade annuals like begonia, caladium and coleus. And I have put in some Turk's cap (red and pink) as well. I do also have a couple of tropicals that I'll bring in during the winter, and an aloe, a cactus etc.

I know it is a very modest "garden" if you can even call it that. But I'm very excited at being able to play in the dirt again :-) and hopefully will be able to maintain these few plantings through the season... A bonus is that my daughter loves to get her hands in the dirt, help me water the plants etc. I should have some pictures to share soon; just thought I'd share my little patch of gardening happiness with folks who would understand :-)

Comments (7)