SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Just an introduction - moving to Saskatchewan!

xmpraedicta
10 years ago

Hi all!

First time to this part of the forum - I usually hang out at the orchid end of gardenweb. Anyway, I've recently learned I'll be moving to Saskatoon for the next 5 years, and just wanted to get in touch with some other gardeners out in the prairies/in similar zones (2b-ish, from what my research tells me)!

It's a super exciting time for me, because I will likely be buying my first house, and thus for the first time in my short 28 years of life, I'll actually have my own garden! I am so excited to get planting already, and I can't wait to face the challenge of gardening in the prairies.

I am a little disappointed that I might have to scrap my plans for building a greenhouse, however, as I can only imagine how ridiculously expensive heating a greenhouse would be. I've toyed with the idea of installing extensive basement windows to take advantage of the awesome winter sunlight (a welcome change to the Ontario gloom we have during the winter), but wanted to see what alternative growing strategies people have adopted in the colder climates. Does anyone here grow with a greenhouse? Are the costs prohibitive? I grow orchids, and so it would really need to be a true 4 seasons greenhouse, although I can tolerate temps down to 15C.

Glad to meet all of you, and I can't wait to learn from all your experience!

-Calvin

Comments (16)