SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate6_gw

Need ID of spreading tomato disease and advice on what to do next

kate6
11 years ago

OK,

Second try posting this!

Here's the photo album: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3408185043118.2127229.1224695288&type=3

Short story: we redid the planting beds and built a few raised beds (still an ongoing project). PLanted the tomatoes I grew from seed in early May. Seemed great. They were getting established then started taking off, except a few were not growing quickly and seemed stunted. Then wilting and yellowing leaves. I removed them and found brown vascular tissue in all stunted plants. EEEK!

Here's a stunted one in front left:

{{gwi:1349231}}

Cross cut near stem base after pulling:

{{gwi:1349232}}

Leaves that keep reappearing on the remaining healthy (not anymore) plants:

{{gwi:1349233}}

My fear is bacterial canker. Leaves wilt a bit and curl some, yellow and browning starts at edges and moves inward as whole leaflets are affected. Leaves do not drop.

I clean pruners and my hands in between plants to no avail. Seems to be too late.

Peppers from nursery may have brought something into garden, or be something from a previous year (though I have rotated the crops and this is a new planting bed).

Pepper sample:

{{gwi:1349234}}
Peppers had some sunscald, or so I thought. The new, healthy foliage that came about after all my attention has given way to these dropping leaves full of bacterial spot (or something).

DO I give up on tomatoes and/ or peppers? I have green fruits with no symptoms yet. What is safe to replant? What wont harbor these diseases?

I am severely bummed as I had to give up my garden last year due. Had to take care of sick person. This was supposed to make up for that and now I feel rather hopeless about having tomatoes this year and am worried about there being something hard to get rid of in the soil.

Anyway, need advice about what it is (canker, F. wilt, southern blight, etc, as so many have ruined pith/ vascular damage. I can't tell.

Is it worth trying to manage? I have done neem oil spray, but we have had highs in the 90s, evening rains (heavy ones) lots of wind, etc etc working against me.

Just not sure what to do.

Saw some brown specks on the leaves today and some stems too.

Comments (7)