SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturegirl_2007

Help ID this tomato disease, ?Late blight?

Okay, I think now that a few months have passed, I can stand to deal with this. A garden I help with was hit by disease unlike any I have ever had in my own garden. And I hope to never see it again.

Here's the background. Garden is in SW Michigan, sandy soil, with tomatoes growing well in late August. A huge crop was on the vines with only a small amount already ripened. Several varieties were planted, heirloom and hybrids, regular and potato leaf, close to 100 plants total spread in various places throughout the garden. All varieties were affected. We had a solid week of rain. It seldom dried out although there were some times it was not actually pouring rain....but not many. We had more rain in that one week than the previous 10 weeks or so combined. I got a call from another garden helper telling me that all the tomato plants had died. Yikes!

This is what I found when I got there.

I had picked several green tomatoes before the predicted week of rain since I wasn't sure if I would be able to get into the garden to harvest for awhile. When I checked them after the call, I found that they must have been infected while everything still looked fine. They were in my house to ripen, not out in the week of rain, and yet they looked like this....eeeew:

A day or two later I decided I could not be sure what exact disease this was and I would need some photos and help from others. Between starting a new job and hauling all the dead and rotting tomato stuff out of the garden, getting a diagnosis fell quite away down my priority list. Plus we were all bummed out and didn't want to think about it. I also had a few days I physically felt bad. My tongue was numb and tingly and my chest felt tight. I wondered if it was related to fungus I stirred up while removing all this yucky stuff. If I ever do anythng similar, I will wear a mask.

Now it is past time to get a diagnosis from the experts. So here's the close ups. Be warned, they are as gross as the previous shots.

Some of the fruits looked okay at first glance, but careful examination showed most were infected. Green ones that looked okay went bad in a day or two. It was a gross, smelly mess. When I looked at this photo later, I noticed lots of white flecks I didn't remember spotting that while at the garden. I wonder if that was what made me feel so bad. I don't think any photos show it, but many of the vines had large areas that were black and shriveled.

Clicking on any photo should bring up a larger copy with greater resolution just in case you need to see more to tell what this disaster is.

My limited tomato disease knowledge and research lead me to think this was late blight. What do you think?

And what suggestions and hope can you give me for gardening at this site next summer? I would be most grateful for any help you give with this problem.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH