SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aeleva

Planting beans next to tomatoes - Do I need a barrier?

aeleva
10 years ago

I am setting up my garden plan for next spring. It's high density, loosely based on SFG, and very small. I have only two, 8' sections which have built in trellising.

I'd like to plant pole beans, cucumbers, and tomatoes along the trellis. If I could have my way, I'd plant 2' of beans and 6' of cucumbers on one and 2' of beans and 6' of tomatoes on the other. Based on wikipedia's list of companion plants, cucumbers and beans work nicely together, but neither is compatible with tomatoes -- so it seems like I shouldn't do what I listed above.

I was wondering --
1. Any concern among the gardeners here for a square of beans next to a tomato plant? Old wive's tale or legit?
2. If so, can I bury a wood board or other soil barrier between the two squares (maybe 12-18 inches deep would be as deep as I could go) to keep the soil and roots separate? I tried to google this but I didn't find anyone doing this� so maybe it's a crazy idea.
3. Does a tomatillo have the same adverse reaction to beans as tomatoes do? I understand they are related, but tomatillos are closer to ground cherries than nightshades. If I could plant a "tomatillo barrier", I could probably rearrange things so I could still have all of the bean and tomato plants I wanted with some additional trellis help from some tomato cages, etc.

Worst case, I could remove one bean square or one tomato square and put a buffer plant. Basil looks like a decent candidate, but it seems like a waste of trellis space.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting