SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matthebrute

new composter a couple quick questions :)

Matthebrute
12 years ago

hey guys/gals. i recently tried to start a outdoor compost pile but the weather seems to be holding me up so im thinking about thatsting a worm bin indoors.

I am going to buy a good sized rubbermaid container and drill holes in the bottom. i will set it on the lid to catch any runoff i may have and drill holes throught the bin for airation.

i also have a metal screen with 1/4 inch holes i was thinking of using this for the lid with something opaque to block light like a black trashbag since the cover will become a drip pan.

ok onto the question!!

1) can i buy trout worms from local store to get started (not nightcrawlers) they are a red colored worm and they are a bit smaller than a crawler, just not sure if they are the correct kind of worm.

2) i have a TON of dead leaves and old hay that i gathered for my outside bin, can i use this in conjunction with some of the matter in my outside bin for the worm bedding? i will also be using some carboard and i plan on running it all down with my lawnmower to get a chopped up material.

3) we just cleaned out the fridge so i have a good amount of waste but not sure if i can use it. there is some cream cheese and chip dip mixed in along with carrots mac and cheese and coffee filter/grounds, also some egg shells and eggs

4) if i can use the trout worms how many should i start with, they come 24 to a container. i really dont have alot of money to get started and am hoping 1 container will due the trick but i dont want to short it and not get my desired results, i know more is better :) wich leads to my next question

5) will these worms reproduce and how fast will they make offspring?

thanks in advance for your help, i know with a bit of searching i can probally answer all of these questions but i figured a helpfull experinced member could help me find all my answers in a much shorter time

Comments (7)