SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigeric_gw

Am I too late?

bigeric
13 years ago

Just moved to a new house and wanting to plant some tomatoes. I ordered some EarthBoxes since I don't have a garden space and expect them to arrive by next weekend. (fingers crossed)

Anyways, it has been raining for about the past two to two and a half weeks...nasty drizzle for most of the day. Temps are in the low 60s during the day and for the most part high 40s at night. There were a couple morns I noticed it was 43 when going to work at 6am but for the most part around 47. Forecast is half and half next week.

The local nursery has some tomatoes, both indeterminate and determinate that are about 1-1/2 foot high.

So the big question....is it too late to plant tomatoes or should I just go for it and see what happens? I suppose I would be better off with determinates this late eh?

Also, aside from Pro-Mix, could someone recommend a suitable sub that is commercially available instead of having to make? I've used search a lot but come up with a lot of varying answers.

I have 3 earthboxes coming and plan on getting 5 or 6 tomato plants. I may try an indeterminate in its own box just for grins.

I am also going to get another couple planters about the same size of earthboxes that I'll plant with something else. Don't know what though. Any ideas of other veggies? I was thinking maybe lettuce, beets, or maybe some chinese cabbage (I like kimchi).

I guess I'm just way behind and trying to catch up.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County