SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shyspook

Newbie Found Worms Trying to save until I get or build some bins

shyspook
16 years ago

I tried unsuccessfully to do container worm composting about 10 years ago and gave up because I couldn't get the few worms I could find to live very long. About a year ago, I found more information about it on the internet and I decided to try it again, but couldn't find a local red wiggler supply..my idea was to pick up a container from a bait shop as a start. I looked all over my yard and couldn't find worm one. So, I put the worm idea on the back burner and decided to try a compost pile, it is very hard work! But, I tried it until my neighbors compost pile caught on fire and nearly burned down his garage.

I got sick this year and could not keep up with my yard work and a few things like bags of leaves,a few bags of shredded paper, boards, and just junk and bricks piled up in my pea-gravel drive way.

When I began to clean up the mess, I found thousands of red wiggler worms nesting under any and everything laying on the ground. They were huge and wiggled so vigerously one would think they were snakes! I grabbed up coffee cans and flower pots to put them in because I really do want to get some kind of worm composting going. I don't have any bins made and I was afraid they would die if I left them in the cans, so I started throwing them in my flower beds and I put down a layer of shredded paper over some dead leaves and covered them with some black plastic. I did not add water to any ground that may have been already damp. But Can I just put them in my old, cold compost area and board it in? Will they stay there until I can get some regular bins made? I have gophers and moles and armadillos,fireants, and sugar sand soil (which is really what I wanted to improve by composting). In the pea-gravel they were not bothered by the fireants or moles it seems. Any suggestions at all would be very appreciated. They are local red wigglers and only borough in winter months.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!