cassiet
18 years ago

Please post here when you send or receive

Cassie

Comments (29)

• MarilynInNC
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone ...

Sorry I haven't posted .. My computer was acting up and I took it upon myself to try to fix it and well made it 100% worse lol. I wanted to thank my Secret Pal (who as always is the best :) for my package last month. It was the best. I got some great things for my computer desk and it matches perfect. Thank you so much Pal and sorry for posting late but I wanted to post and let you know I loved it as soon as my puter was fixed.

Marilyn

• mellen
    18 years ago

I, too, am posting for August. The box my pal sent was just stuffed full with wonderful plants and gifts. Here are the plants I received: perennial ageratum, hibiscus, Kansas gay feather, sun drops, rudbeckia, and gooseneck loosestrife. I am just thrilled, dear pal, with what you sent. We were just about to head out the door to drive to Missouri on Friday for the long week-end when I saw your box. So I stayed long enough to open it. THEN I stayed a little longer to put all of the plants into pots of dirt while hubby waited "patiently." They all looked great when we got home this evening. For gifts my pal sent a cute little picture with two kitties in it plus a book called The Cat's House. Quite the interesting little book--altering your home for your cats. I especially loved the angel that you sent. She is so pretty carrying the birdhouse and holding up the little bird. Also the magnet with the angels and the saying on it is also wonderful. Secret Pal, I feel so blessed. Thank you, Mary Ellen/Mellen

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Cassie's February Check In for 2005 Secret Pal

Q

Comments (79)
    Debi and Debbie, I have planted seeds outdoors also. I got behind in the winter sowing in containers so I figured I would just try direct sowing on some of them and see how they do. I have noticed larkspur and love in a mist coming up from last seasons seeds so hopefully some of these I am putting out will take off too. My daffodils are starting to open up all over so it is starting to look like spring here. Also the Bradford pear tree is budding out. Of course Oklahoma has a lot of last minute freezes so I am hoping that the cold doesn't get everything. I plan to finish off the last of the winter sowing I was going to do and then I guess I will start planting seeds indoors on window seals. I really do like starting the little plants myself. I know that it doesn't really have a lot to do with me, but I feel just like a proud parent whenever my seedlings turn into plants and bloom.
    ...See More

UPDATE: Check In for Cassie's Valentine Swap

Q

Comments (100)
    Oh My: DJM you are THE most dedicated of them all "Let's just stop at the PO on our way to the hospital...." Only a true Garden Webber would utter such words. I hope all is well. A thrombosis in no laughing matter; note the attention long distance flying is getting recently. You all move your toes and legs, exercise your muscles while sitting on those long flights or you'll be at risk. Djm if the trips to the lab daily are difficult ask your doctor to make a referral to Visiting Nurse, assuming you have that, usually every county has a VNS/ Public Health Nurse service. They will come to you, grab your blood, get it to the lab, and talk with the doctor about dosages. Could be a big time/energy saver for you. Just a thought. Hope you stay well! Poochella
    ...See More

NEW: Cassie's Easter Swap 2005

Q

Comments (20)
    Hey guys I guess this is not a go. I think I have enough people however I have only received 4 people's information and I have posted 2 times for info to be emailed to me. Treesa, I received your package. I'm not real sure why you sent it to me however I am mailing it back to you since this is a no go otherwise I would've just mailed it on to your pal. Smile Cassie
    ...See More

UPDATE: Cassie's April Check In for 2005 Secret Pal

Q

Comments (38)
    Cassie I haven't received a package this month yet. I did mail mine out earlier. Debbie, I used to have a lot of trouble with the bunnies too until I tried a simple trick. I bought a few rubber snakes and put them around my garden. You have to move them every couple of days or the rabbits catch on, but it does work remarkably well. The only down side is that I have scared a few of my friends also. Debi, I hope your weather warms up soon. It has been beautiful here. The only thing needed is a little rain.
    ...See More
  • RainbowLake
    18 years ago

Cassie,
    It looks like another month has passed without hearing from my secret pal (although 2 of the other great members did send me make up boxes) Are you sure I have a secret pal at all?

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Hello Everybody! Thought I'd pop in, and see how everybody is doing. I've been really busy, collecting seeds, cleaning, and packageing for fall & winter trades. And, I'm slow...lol Maybe i'm too fussy..Oh well, I'll get there. What is everybody else been doing in gardens?
    Hope you all have a "Super" night!
    Hugs,
    Debi

• cassiet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Karen yes you have a secret pal and your pal has had some serious health issues and your package was delayed however I have a confirm number so I know it is on the way. Be patient.

Cassie

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Good Morning All! Well we had two days of much needed rain. Sunny today & going to be in the 80's. Hope to get out side today and get some more work done in the gardens. Their saying this is our last blast of summer on the news, so get out and enjoy the week. I intend too. lol .. How is everything going with you?
    Have a "Super" Day!
    Debi

• cassiet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Loam Ranger your secret pal has made a donation to the Hurricane Katrina evacuees. This will be her gift to you this month. You will get a notice that will tell you this information. Your pal will send you a card.

Cassie

• the_loam_ranger
    18 years ago

Hi, Cassie (& SUPER Secret Pal)!!!

WOW! Cool gift! Thanks so much, Pal!!

Unfortunately, being a member of the class of folks known as "the working poor", I've not been able to make a cash donation to the cause (DH and I raise a DGD, pay the mortgage, put food on the table and otherwise exist, somehow, on about $22M/year). Although I'm only a short, 30 min. trip up the highway from the evacuees sheltering at the Reunion Arena in Dallas, I've not even been able to do much to assist up there, due to the exorbitant cost of gas (I drive a truck that can suck down a--now--$80 tank of gas in VERY short order).

Fortunately, however, I HAVE been able to help out in regards to the 90-something evacuees who have been sheltering at a church here in Ennis (serving in food lines, sending "all okay" computer messages to folks "back home", shuttling people to the "Soul's Harbor" to get additional clothing, blankets, etc., and donating home-canned goods and fresh produce from my garden), but I still feel that what I've been able to do to help is precious little, and only wish I could do more.

(Now just venting...)
    I've always believed I have a strong, happy marriage, but I'm quickly--and very belatedly--learning how stingy the man I married 14 years ago can be. DH has started grousing at me about the house being a mess, since I've not been here to keep it as tidy as I did before this diaster. Worse, he continuously b*tches at me about the amount of gas I'm using just to make my almost-daily trips to town, since (to hear him tell it) we're already financially "strapped" and barely get by as it is (I live about 20 miles out in the country and before all this happened, there were times when I wouldn't leave the property for 2 or 3 weeks).

I've tried to explain to him why I feel I NEED to help however I can: that, hopefully, other folks would do the same for us if we were in the same situation; that, after 17 years together, he should be aware of my firmly held "kharma"-like philosophy, believing that what you put out into the universe comes back to you ten-fold; that, even though I'm not a church-goer, I always try to ask myself "What would Jesus do?". I've tried to convince him to count his blessings by repeating a little quote that my mom says, "I complained that I had no shoes...until I met a man who had no feet, and I cursed the fact that I had no gloves...until I met a man who had no hands". I've even tried to remind him of the many times when the money to cover an unexpected, unbudgeted expense always miraculously appeared (after a private little conversation between me and the good Lord, of course).

So, dear pal, can I ask for one more gift? I'm sure you'll know what it is...

Well, gotta go now...taking a bushel of tomatoes, some cantalopes, a 5-gallon bucket of okra, and a flat of onions to town...

Best to all,
    Cheryl

• the_loam_ranger
    18 years ago

Hi, Y'all--

Well, now that I'm done ranting and feeling sorry for myself *sheepish grin*, thought I'd share a few pics...

From my new side beds:
    {{gwi:1299026}}{{gwi:1299027}}
    Zinnias 'Profusion Fire', 'Profusion Apricot', and 'Profusion White', with Gomphrena 'Strawberry Fields'.

{{gwi:1299028}}
    Amaranthus 'Love Lies Bleeding'

Here's a gorgeous oregano plant that lives in a 5-gallon bucket on my front porch. I started this plant from seed 3 years ago. I rooted the "artie" and the rosemary from cuttings a friend gave me about the same time. Also, note the petunias in the basket...those are the Italian 'Dolce' series that were featured on the cover of Park's Spring '05 catalog...
    {{gwi:1299029}}

A close-up of those petunias: 'Dolce Fragolino' (cranberry colored), 'Dolce Flambe' (pinkish and/or bi-coloreds), and 'Dolce Limoncello' (yellow, of course)...
    {{gwi:1299030}}

And, finally, here are a few pics especially for my Secret Pal...

One of the trio of Daylilies you sent me (the others are doing equally well).
    {{gwi:1299031}}

And, do you recall the Dark Lavender Dianthus seeds you sent me way back in Jan. or Feb.?...
    {{gwi:1299032}}

How about those little starts of "Moses-in-the-Boat"? Remember them?...
    {{gwi:1299033}}

Well, guess that's enough for now. If I add any more to this post, I'm afraid they'll take forever to load (if I haven't overdone it already...).

Best to all,
    Cheryl

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Hi Everybody!
    Cheryl your pictures are Awesome! Thank you so much I really enjoyed them, as I know everybody will. I have a Moses-in-the-boat plant also, do you know how you take cuttings from them? Mine is nothing like yours though..
    lol.. "Beautiful"!
    Well everybody have a super nite!
    Hugs all,
    Debi

• Boomer _Lady
    18 years ago

Cheryl,
    Your pictures are great. I really like those petunias.

Sounds like you have been a wonderful help to so many people. What seems like precious little to you can make a huge difference to those with nothing.

We have evacuees here as well. I have been wanting to go volunteer at the Salvation Army. They keep asking for help sorting the truckloads of donated items. I just haven't been able to yet.

P.S. I hope you are feeling better after the venting. I usually do. :)

• Boomer _Lady
    18 years ago

I got a nice package & note today from my wonderful pal.

Several packages of seeds. Butterfly garden pack, portulacca & 2 echinaceas. I canÂt wait to get these all growing, especially the echinacea. I have been wanting Razzmatazz & another white one. Right now I have White Swan. The whites are so pretty next to the pinks & purples. IÂm going winter sow everything you sent, except the portulacca. I love the color of those.

Several angels, in different forms. A magnet, a pin & a figurine. All pretty.

A cute terra cotta birdhouse that is perfect for a project IÂm working on. IÂll show you a picture later, when I finish it. :)

Some stickers that will be great for craft projects.

A bottle of wonderful smelling lavender massage oil. It will come in handy on those sore muscles after fall transplanting.

A beautiful stained glass lady to hang in my window. SheÂs in my computer room window right now. When the sun hit her this afternoon it was gorgeous.

A another pretty thing to hang. This one has mosaics & a stained glass flower. Just beautiful.

Last but not least she sent me some gardening magazines. I always love getting those.

Thanks so much pal, I appreciate you thinking of me every month.

I hope you are feeling better now. My weeding has gotten away from me. Hopefully next week will be the end of the 90° temps & I can get busy outside. I noticed today the Clara Curtis you sent me is full of buds about to open. I canÂt wait.

Thanks again. Take care!

P.S. Here's a laugh for you:

I had two windows open & pasted this post in the wrong one. You can read my thanks to you in the Daylily group's thread too. LOL

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Good Morning Everybody! Hope everybody had a "Super" Week-end..and has a "Super" Day!
    Hugs,
    Debi

• the_loam_ranger
    18 years ago

Hi, Y'all--

A-h-h-h...Rain!!!...only .2", but I'll take it. We haven't had a drop in so-o-o-o long. The last significant rainfall we've had here in Ennis was back in July when, from the 12th through the 14th, we were blessed with a total of 2.5". And, although all that "Dallas concrete" has received a bit more rain than those of us out here in the country, the whole North Central Texas area is about 7" below the rainfall average so far this year.

Isn't it queer how plants will just stay alive with regular applications of water from the garden hose, but come alive after just a trace of rain? Even now, in the space of 3 hours and a little of that "perfect" water that has fallen out of the sky, the pastures that surround my home have gone from drab beige to light green.

To all: I humbly apologize for my whine-y post earlier. I sometimes forget to practice what I preach and count my blessings. After re-reading that post, I realized that I make my DH sound like the ultimate "Scrooge", which he is'nt. We are, however, complete opposites, and opposites, unfortunately, sometimes DO attract. I, myself, am a "glass half-full" type of person--he's more the "glass half-empty" type. I, most often, see the "big picture". He usually can't "see the forest for the trees". I wanna go out on the weekends and have some fun--he wants to stay home and watch TV. I'm light and he's dark. And so on...and so on...Perhaps it's his heritage. Ennis, a rural, cotton-farming town, was founded by Czhechoslovakian people, and most of the folks in this town are of Czech descent. I was born a city-girl of Scot-Irish descent, however, and, in the 17 years that I have lived here, I find some of these folks to be frugal almost to a fault...

Well, so much for attempting to explain myself and my frustrations....

To dsterzik: I got the name "Moses-in-the-Boat" from the plant marker that was included with the starts my SP sent me. I think it's a variety of Tradescantia sp. The plant I have is VERY easy to re-root. I just poke any pieces that are broken off of the mother-plant into the soil, keep them well-watered, and they take root...

And to Debbie_SW: yes, I DO feel better after venting, except here I am apologizing for it now (LOL)...Guess you really can't win, huh?

Best to all,
    Cheryl

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

Rain, blessed rain. We are having an all day, soak in the ground, sweet rain. I'm enjoying the sound of it too.
    I agree with Cheryl about watering vs rain. Watering seems to just keep plants alive, whereas rain brings it to life. Our "grass" has been dormant for a couple months, might as well call it dead. Funny thing tho, the crab grass is thriving. LOL.
    Cheryl, in your top photo: Love the orange/rust flowers. Are they the zinnia 'Profusion Fire' ? Great color and flower shape. Sure would like some of the seeds....... Would you tell me where you got them? *please*
    Hope everyone has a nice day.
    Marsha

• MarilynInNC
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone

Before I forget ... Cassie I just wanted to let you know I am sending my Pals package out. I haven't received one yet ... I sure hope my pal is ok. (I think about her all the time and I can't wait to find out who she is ...She's the best!)Anyways, I am going to get new batteries for my digital camera to post a few pics of the goodies my Pal sent. My banana tree is sooo awesome. It's finally looking like a banana tree..lol. My Mom & Dad are coming for there yearly visit to North Carolina next month and my Dad can't wait to see the "Banana Tree" lol. My butterfly bush my pal sent me finally flowered and its sooo pretty. It's a gorgeous purple color and I have my fairy garden stuff scattered among the flowers ..it looks so nice. Thank you pal for my beautiful yard :) Ok ..I have to feed my DH now ..lol ..

Have A Wonderful Day Everyone !!!
    Marilyn

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

I just received a nice package that I think is from my secret pal. It has a nice little bird house that looks like a rustic cabin, 3 pastel colored candles and several packages of seeds. I have especially been wanted to start some malva zebrina, I also received zinna, cockscomb and sweet peas. Thank you very much. I hope that you are feeling better now.

Karen

Loam Ranger, very nice pictures, I enjoyed looking at them.

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Hello everybody! I agree Cheryl, all your Zinnia's are Awesome! Love all your flowers!
    Cassie, I went shopping today, for Secret Pal..Will be mailed out tomorrow or Thursday. Have a "Super" night all!
    Hugs,
    Debi

• cassiet
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Karen your secret pal was having some health issues and didn't get your package out in time... that was for August. You pal states your Sept package will go out the weekend.

Cassie

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Cassie, Wanted to let you know, Hon..My package to my Secret Pal, has been mailed..Have a "Super" night..
    Hugs,
    Debi

• indyjoy
    18 years ago

My package to my secret pal will go out tomorrow. I joined to replace someone that had dropped out. I don't remember if my first month was June or July. Anyway I have yet to receive any packages. This sure would be alot more fun if it went both ways. Do I have a secret pal? Do they have my address?

• the_loam_ranger
    18 years ago

Hi, Y'all--

Oh, WOE is me!!! I'm afraid I'm a DREADFUL Secret Pal. So that it'll get done, I've just gotta commit and PROMISE that I'll have a package out to my pal NO LATER THAN MONDAY (9-26); further, I wish to express my heart-felt apologies for the delay.

(Now for the usual litany of whining and excuses...)
    I suspect my inability to get motivated is due, in part, to the oppressing heat, which we should've been relieved of by now (avg. temp here for late Sept. is around 86*...yesterday we hit 101* and today we expect 97*); my concerns about "Rita", and the evacuees from the Texas Gulf Coast (I offered my home as a shelter on the TX Gardening Forum), and her fallout (although I'm about 250 miles inland, forecasters here in the Dallas area are calling for a resulting tropical storm just short of a Cat. 1 hurricane); and a severe case of "light deprivation depression" (apparently I'm VERY sensitive to it, and I go thru this every year about this time, when the "daylight" hours are roughly approximate to the "nighttime" hours).

Thanks, y'all, for your understanding, and for giving me a forum to associate with other people...I don't get "off the property" much...

Best to all,
    Cheryl

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Good Morning Everybody! Hope everybody has a ""Super" Day!
    Cheryl, That was sooo sweet of you to open your home like that. I'm glad to hear your NOT right where it will hit. I have been watching the news too, and praying for all down there. Keep us updated, please..if you can. Thanks.
    Hugs All,
    Debi

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Good Morning Gardening Friends!
    Hope everybody has a "Super" day..
    Hugs,
    Debi

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

Thank you, Secret Pal, for the nice September box. Once I cut open the tape, I could smell the lavender potpourri, a lovely smell. She sent 1/2 dozen packages of seeds for next year, a string of wooden beads, a cute beaded angel ornament, packages of coffee and cocoa mix, a large tube of hand cream and a box of chocolate. Thanks again.

• MarilynInNC
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone ...

I received a package from my pal and she sent me a beautiful Butterfly Fairy Birdfeeder & A beautiful Fairy Statue for my garden. Thank you so much for a great package Pal ... I loved it !!!!

Marilyn

• the_loam_ranger
    18 years ago

Hi, Y'all--

Just a note to let y'all know that I actually DID get a package sent out to my pal yesterday...

Best to all,
    Cheryl

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Good Morning Everybody! Just wanted to say that I hope Everybody has a "Super" Day today!
    Hugs,
    Debi

• dsterzik
    18 years ago

Good Evening everybody! I recieved my package today from my Secret Pal! As always it is VERY BEAUTIFUL! She sent a large flower arrangement, that she made herself.. The flowers on it she crafted them all... They are astonishing beautiful! Secret Pal Thank You soooo much! I LOVE it!
    You are soooo talented & I love your letter to!
    Hugs,
    Debi