Hi!!!

Here's the new link for April packages for secret pal

Cassie

Comments (38)

• cassiet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey everyone,
    I wanted to post a short note just to clear up a few concerns. I just received a rather mean email. It appears that some people have not been getting packages. I checked as best as I was able to do this month(March)and checked off people and posted on the 18th for anyone not receiving a package to let me know.
    I didn't receive any posting on the site and one in email which I responded to at the time. I also posted that I have had numerous sicknesses and 3 deaths in my family so I was not able to be on as much this month as I was the past 2 months. Please let me know if you are NOT receiving your packages when I post and request this information. I usually post about the middle of the month.
    One person has dropped out and this will be their last month of participating. I have already notified that person's pal.

Thank you again and I STILL have the best group of people.

Cassie

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

Cassie,
    I know you have had a lot on your plate lately. I'm so sorry you have suffered so much loss in such a short amount of time.

I'm sorry things aren't running smoothly right now. Hopefully we can turn this thing around & get it back to being enjoyable for all.

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap.....June check-in!!!!

Q

Comments (46)
    My secret pal sent a lovely surprise box again. A nice card with a short note. A very cute cat planter holder that wiggles, or I don't know what to call it, it is not a cat pot holder. It is a wire cat that wiggles that holds a 6 inch clay flower pot, included. I will have fun filling that pot! There is personalized stationery to use with my old people I write to. Gotta be careful there, I am in that bracket! A cute book on cats, questions and answers about cats. A real nice pair of garden gloves, which will come in handy. Mine have holes in the thumbs. Why do we just hang onto the old and not replace them? Then a super nice can of nice smelling garden soaps. No plants, which was super fine, we went to Ore. & I stopped at a few nurseries, and got plants for 50% off, and for over a week, have been working on getting them into the flower beds. I am taking pictures to send her eventually. I enjoy my secret pal, and it gives us a break in our routine. Now I have another great cat book to read! Thank you so much for all you send. P.S. we have sort of adopted a stray cat a mo. ago, and sure makes me long for a new one again. This one is outside, and always in fights, a unneutered male. Last week, he got part of his ear removed and his face all gouged up, fighting with a racoon. Have a good month secret pal!
    ...See More

UPDATE: Cassie's July Check-In for 2005 Swap

Q

Comments (60)
    Thank you everyone for the kind messages. I'm not so upset at not receiving things, its the fact that I was passed over. I read all the neat messages about the special effort that the secret pals in this robin are going to for each other and the extra thought put into each package and then mine hadn't even bothered to send a note. I just got feeling kind left out. Also mad that someone would be receiving from their secret pal and not bothering to follow thru on the other end. All these nice words have made me feel much better. Debbie I will say that I enjoy getting my packages ready each month (and I hope that I put the special care into them that all the others are doing) I have my August package ready to send. I appreciate you comments but really I do enjoy getting surprises ready for someone else. (Your "guesses" were very amusing and accurate! LOL)
    ...See More

UPDATE: Cassie's August Check-In for 2005 Swap

Q

Comments (69)
    Rainbow-- Thanks for the compliment. I'm really proud of how these beds turned out, especially in light of the fact that they were A LOT of work. The ground was so hard and compacted when I started that I had to use a grub hoe to break it up...my tiller wasn't doing much more than skipping around on top of the ground--and that was AFTER I'd been watering the beds daily for about 2 weeks prior to starting on them. The towers at the end are rose trellises. I have "Buff Beauty" climbing roses planted at the bottom of them, although you can't see them real well in the pics...the plan is for the roses to grow up and cover the towers. Well, that's the plan, anyway *grin*... Best, Cheryl
    ...See More

UPDATE: Kathy547's Secret Pal Swap - August check-in

Q

Comments (42)
    Hello Pal! I received a wonderful package today from my pal. A nice assortment of a variety of different coffees. I love flavored coffee, and will be treating myself to a pot on my day off this coming Friday. Don't worry about not sending me a bunch of plants; I know what you mean by not having a bunch ready to divide, etc. Sounds like you are really having a dry summer. We had rain through June, then a heat wave for most of July & August and now a little relief. We have set heat records here. I figured out how to use the digital camera and how to post pics, so I will post a pic that you have requested. One is a pic of our cabin as I stand on the end of the dock and the other from my neighbors dock. The one from the neighbors dock shows the beginnings of the flower bed/strip I am starting. It will be about 75 - 100 ft long and 15 ft wide when done. I have a long ways to go, and it's a lot of clay to dig through and out. Pictures make it look a lot nicer shape than it is. Needs lots of updating. Now to figure out how to make them smaller, they are way to big - sorry about this.
    ...See More
  • cassiet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Smiling... I think they are going good. Just a bump in the road. I am settling down to life without loved ones and although this is very hard on all of our family... spring is here. I have been in the little garden and this has relaxed my mind and soothed my spirits. My plants are arriving that I ordered back in the winter so daily bulbs, plants and packages are arriving. I am loving this. I just got strawberry plants and the bags which probably should not be going out in WV yet but they are here!!!! So I will plant and hang and bring in and out until they are safe in our area. Thank you for your thoughts.

I'm bumping this up

Cassie

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

My sister called me the other day & said they were getting snow in WV. That was the same day I was out planting some of my ws flowers. She sure misses Oklahoma this time of year.LOL

• the_loam_ranger
    19 years ago

Hi, y'all!!

Well, apparently, I received a package from my SP yesterday, but I didn't find it until this morning...I guess my mailman got all ate up with what we call the "Texas Dumb-*ss Fever" or something *grin*, as he left the box on my FRONT porch, when he KNOWS to leave things on the side porch since we rarely use the front porch.

A-a-anyway, I opened the package immediately *giggle* and the contents were as AWESOME as always...

This month my pal sent me a DARLING little flowerpot with multi-colored "daisies" on it, as well as a trio of caladium bulbs and a trio of Asiatic Lily bulbs. I toyed with the idea of planting the lilies in with the rest of my collection in the lily bed I created last fall (75 lily bulbs in that bed...and counting *big grin*) but decided to put them in with some callas and ixia I have in a large container underneath my kitchen window. That way, when they start blooming, I can look out and see them as I'm having my coffee in the morning. As for the caladiums, I have an old beat up washtub on my back porch FULL of caladiums and, while I thought about putting them in with the rest, I think I'll be putting them in the cute little pot SP sent instead, so I can enjoy pretty caladiums in more than one spot out there.

Then, my pal also included some cuttings of "Moses in the Boat". Once I get those started, they'll be going in with the pink impatiens that I'll be planting in the pair of "wall baskets" I have on the back porch. I think the purple "Moses" hanging down, together with the pink "imps" on top, will look fantastic! (As soon as I took the cuttings out of the box I thought of this combo. Evidently, pal, we're on the same wavelength, since it's EXACTLY what you suggested in your letter. Still, *smiling* it was kinda "spooky" when I read what you wrote.)

I also received a terra-cotta birdhouse that will be just right hanging in the tree that my birdbath sits under. Along with the feeder that's already hanging in that tree, I'll now have perfect "accommodations" in the little "bird town" I've got going out there (which, coincidentally, can also be viewed from my kitchen table).

My pal also slipped in the aforementioned letter, in which she (he?) explained the "jar lid" and how she (he?) creates the neat cards that are sent along. And, yes, pal, being an avid home-canner, I DO have some of those old blue Mason jars. I think I'll have to tat a tiny little doily and mount it on the lid with blue velvet underneath so the detail shows up, then I'll find SOMETHING to store in it (Lord KNOWS I've got enough craft-y stuff around here and never enough cute things to store it all in *tee-hee*).

Oh, and don't worry that you have or will send something that's "not me"...so far, you've done a wonderful job! just think "Martha Stewart" (my family nickname) and you'll do just fine...

A million thanks for the great package! You're such a GOOD pal!

Best to all,
    Cheryl

• cassiet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Pal for toddybare.. he is in very ill health and is not able to participate any longer. Please do not send him a package. I will email you personally in a couple of days. He has just written today.

Cassie

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

Sorry to hear toddybare is in ill health. Best wishes for him.

• grannymarsh
    19 years ago

Where is everyone???

• cassiet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey everyone... I have had a wonderful and semi productive day outside. I found out just how fat I am... hehehehehehe when I tried to work on the patio and put underlayment on it to keep weeds out. Shaking my head however I DID manage to get one row done. I then went out front and made not one but TWO new flower beds however small for my bulbs that arrived this week. My neighbor gave me some mulch... SMILE. We trimmed the tree and I even managed to break a lot of pads off my cactus. Because as we know cactus ROOT where they FALL and Lord KNOWS I don't need any more huge POTS of these... Guess what some of my other garden pals will get this month!!! Giggling. I love flowers!!! I think I now officially have Spring FEVER!!! Hope everyone enjoys this month and swapping will be wonderful.

Cassie

• MarilynInNC
    19 years ago

Hi

Sorry I am late in posting this as I have been ill lately ... I received an awesome bi colored butterfly bush from my Secret Pal. I was soooo excited as I really wanted one of these :) Thank you pal not only did you make my day ...you sure sure put a big smile on my face and made me feel alot better !!! Thank you so much again

Marilyn

• dsterzik
    19 years ago

Hi Everybody! Well, alot has happened since I posted last. My son fell two weeks ago on the ice, and broke his kneecap all the way accross. Had to have surgery on it and put 5 steel pins to hold it together. So, alot of my day is takin up taking care of him. He is 16.. He has it in a brace, and has to walk with a walker right now , and can't put any pressure on it. He will be laid up for 6-8 weeks. I do, get some gardening done, when he is napping. Cassie, Wanted to let you know I mailed my Secret Pals box today..Sorry for running late.. Well Dear Gardening Friends, talk to ya all again real soon. Have a Super night!
    Debi

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

Marilyn,
    I hope you are feeling better soon. I hate being sick any time of the year but spring is really a bad time as it cuts into the gardening fun.

Debi,
    Sorry to hear about your son. That sounds really painful. I have to use a walker at times & it is no fun, especially on ice & water. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

• RainbowLake
    19 years ago

Hi everyone
    Debi, sorry to hear about your son. That sounds very bad. At least he is young and that helps getting over something like that. Good luck to both of you.
    Marilyn, sorry to hear you are sick. A lot of that has been going around this year. Hope you feel better soon.
    My yard is looking simply marvelous. I love spring. The tulips are finishing up and the Iris are starting
    Debbie, Have you planted all those winter sowing plants yet? I am going to start transplanting mine this weekend if it doesn't rain. Mine are just now starting to get as big as yours were in the pictures.
    Happy Gardening everyone.

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

Rainbow,
    I have planted about half of my ws plants. I tried to plant them all last week but got tired of fighting the wind. I hope to get the rest of them planted this week.

• dsterzik
    19 years ago

Hi Everybody! How's everybody doing today? Son's pain is getting alot better.. he's getting physical therapy on Weds. She comes to house, and shows me too, what I have to do with his leg the rest of the week. Keeps me pretty busy! I run between flower beds & taking care of him, but getting it all done.. ;-) Loving this weather, been really cold at night yet tho.. Have a Super night all!
    Debi ;-)

• grannymarsh
    19 years ago

Yesterday (Friday) I received a WONDERFUL April package from my ever thoughful, ever dependable, ever timely Secret Pal. She/he is certainly a kind and generous Pal. I have a 1/4 barrel that I've been trying to figure out what to do with. The barrel sits right next to the gutter downspout. Welllllll, in my box of goodies were 3 Frogs.
    "See No Evil, Say no Evil" and "Froggy goes a courting" on a lily pad. So, now I'm thinking about putting in a shallow bowl of water, my new frog friends and some coleus for a tropical look in that corner. AND SP pal sent TWO packages of Gladiola bulbs, they are nice and plump. AND the sweetest, cutest Fairy ever !! This little darling has the most precious face. Each item was wrapped in lovely paper, it was like Xmas. Thank you SP for sending such nice things and for being you.

• Eliz33
    19 years ago

I got a box today from my Pal. It was filled with plants. I am really going to miss my pal. I am very greatful for all of the things that were sent to me. Thank you very much for having been a WONDERFUL and THOUGHTFUL PAL!

• dsterzik
    19 years ago

Hello Everybody! Just checking in to say "Hi"! Boy did I have a workout today! Cleaned flower beds, washed planting cups & trays, Cleaned out all my potted plants from last year, picked up around the yard & boy am I tired! But, it's a awesome tired! Loving this weather! Sure will be glad when it warms up at night tho, still getting freezing temps. at night...Have a good night all..
    Will let you all know when I hear from my Secret Pal, she or he is a "Sweetie"..
    Debi

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

I received a wonderful package from my secret pal today.

She sent me some of the cutest little flowerpot citronella candles. They will come in handy on the patio & not a moment too soon. I spotted my first skeeter of the season this past weekend.

Some garden related reading material. One is Oklahoma Gardening magazine & other is a grower's guide. They both have great info in them. I can't wait to read them from cover to cover.

Really pretty light switches that have gorgeous embellishments on them.

A nice smelling bath fizzie bomb. That will come in handy now that planting season is here. My aching body thanks you. LOL

Two nice vases for flowers. I like both of them but especially the one that looks like it is smashed in the middle. Such a beautiful blue butterfly on it.

Speaking of butterflies, she also sent a cute butterfly on a suction cup & long wire. It looks like it flying on my patio door right now.

Last but not least she me sent some seeds. I ws all the seeds I had so these were really nice to get. I've never direct sowed seeds so it will be a good learning experience.

Thank you secret pal. Your thoughtfulness is appreciated as always. I hope you have a marvelous garden season!

• dsterzik
    19 years ago

Hi Everybody! Thought I'd stop in see what everybody is doing? How's everybody's gardening coming? Had three nice, beautiful days here, got all plants cleaned up, and now working on transplanting my little seedlings into individual cells, from winter sowing.. Got a another good work out today! lol
    Have a "Super night all!"
    Debi

• cassiet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Please post if you haven't received yet for this month. I want to get a reminder note out to your pal.

Cassie

• the_loam_ranger
    19 years ago

Hi, y'all--

Just wanted to drop a note to say that I mailed out a box to my SP yesterday. I didn't get a chance yesterday to post as such, as I had a fun-filled day (NOT!!!) dealing with a teensy (NOT!!!) problem involving my DD (22 yrs), that "THING" she's been living with, a couple of Sheriff's Deputies, and an arrest for assault. I finally got her, my DGS (3 yrs), and her things back to my house around 12:30 last night, but I was so keyed-up that I couldn't lay down and relax 'til about 2:30....then I had to be up at 5:30 this a.m. to get my DGD fed and off to school (school bus usually gets here between 6:15 and 6:20). Needless to say, I'm now pretty much "running on empty"...

I don't mean to air my "dirty laundry" to one and all...I guess I just needed to vent a little...Mama told me there'd be days like that, I just wish they wouldn't all gang up on me at one time *tired grin*.

Hope y'all's day was better than mine, and I hope my SP likes what I included in her box this month...

Best to all,
    Cheryl

• dsterzik
    19 years ago

Cassie I have'nt heard anything yet,from my Secret Pal, but still little over a week left in the month..Guess what? Were getting snow Sat. ;-( with accumulations.. Dropping down to 29 degrees tonight. Putting a heater out in the greenhouse tonight, hopes it keeps them warm enough...I thought winter was over! ;-( Hope all my other plants coming up in the flower beds will be ok. Have a "super" night all!
    Debi

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

Well since no one is posting about packages received, I'm going to bump this up by answering some questions my pal asked in a nice card she sent me the other day.

My garden is growing great. Iris, clematis, dianthus, spiderwort, salvia & roses are the perennials blooming right now. Some annual snapdragons that survived the winter are blooming as well. The clematis you sent me is putting out lots of new growth. The glads are poking up too.

Glad your lilacs & wisteria are blooming for you. I bet they are really pretty. I haven't tried to grow either one of those here, yet. LOL
    I did plant two Purple Robe Locust trees last year & they look similiar to wisteria blooms, I think. They are blooming right now & smell wonderful.

Sorry to hear about the gopher or vole problem. I hope you can get rid of them/it before it does anymore damage. I've never had those here. Maybe I better knock on wood as I type that!

My biggest problem here has been bunnies. I planted 3 black, deep purple, hollyhocks 2 years ago. I've yet to see a bloom from any of them. The bunnies eat all the foliage before it ever sets buds. Hopefully they will bloom this year. I've been pepper spraying them this spring & so far they haven't been nibbled down. I'm gonna knock that wood one more time. LOL
    The bunnies have been feasting on the spiderwort instead. Which is fine by me as it has become invasive & I've been pulling it out by the handfuls. I did leave some for the bunnies once I figured they were eating it. Maybe that will keep them off my desired plants. If not, then I will ruin their dinner of choice with pepper spray.

I hope you are having a wonderful spring. :)

• cassiet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Someone has ask me about the posting... we are just a few now as a couple have dropped out for various reasons and a couple were removed as they were not sending packages but receiving. I have sent a note to those remaining who have not posted. I haven't heard yet this month from betty boop. I got your message dsterzik... Please post if you have sent and/or received.

Cassie

• the_loam_ranger
    19 years ago

Cassie--

I've received a box from my pal who sends to me (WONDERFUL package!!), and sent a box to MY pal on 4-20 (see my post above).

Have a great day!!
    Cheryl

• grannymarsh
    19 years ago

Sent and received

• dsterzik
    19 years ago

Ohhhh! I recieved the most wonderful package today from my, ever dependable, "Sweet" Secret Pal! Everything was just "Awesome"! First of all, I absolutely "Love" handcrafted items..They mean more to me than storebought. And, my Secret Pal is Very talented! She sent me, the most "Beautiful" Gardening apron, that she made for me. It has lots of pockets, beautiful flowers on it, and fits me perfect, it's almost to pretty wear..I don't want to get it dirty..I can tell she put many hours, of friendship into this box. She also made me, Hand craved wooden plant markers out of prunings from her wild plum trees..They are "Awesome", there is even a placed carved out on them where you write the name of your plant! I know she could make alot of money selling these. She also sent me some seeds, Profusion Zinna Pink ones and pack of White ones, that were harvested from her gardens. She also sent me three plant starts, already potted.. Peppermint, Lemon Balm & Bergamot, that made the trip perfectly! I love them. She also sent me a big bottle of Corn Husker's Lotion, and boy was this needed! My hands are all cracked open from planting so much. I have never tried this, but just told my DH I needed to get something for my hands..How did my Secret Pal know? lol And, she also sent me a box of Animal cookies for my Grandbabies, with their name wrote on each box! My Secret Pal is sooo "Sweet", I wish I could give her a "Big" Hug!
    Secret Pal..Your kitchen sound awesome! I would love to see it..My kitchen, was just painted a melon color, it's sorta country style too, the cuboards and such. But, I don't have a theme for it yet, been trying to think of one, just don't have any ideas! The walls are melon, the cuboards are light oak, the appliances are white, that's about it..Got any idea's? Thank You so much for the "Wonderful" gifts.. I Love them all! I'm so excited! Big Hugs!
    Debi

Cassie: I sent & I recieved! ;-)

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

I have sent & receieved.

• grannymarsh
    19 years ago

dsterzik;
    How about a photo of those plant markers.? They sound pretty cool.

• becksterca
    19 years ago

I received a really neat book from my secret pal.
    It has a calender of gardening tasks and a place for notes.
    Lots of pretty pictures too.
    My secret pal also sent me some oragami paper to use on my cards.
    Thanks Secret Pal!

• RainbowLake
    19 years ago

Cassie
    I haven't received a package this month yet. I did mail mine out earlier.

Debbie,
    I used to have a lot of trouble with the bunnies too until I tried a simple trick. I bought a few rubber snakes and put them around my garden. You have to move them every couple of days or the rabbits catch on, but it does work remarkably well. The only down side is that I have scared a few of my friends also.

Debi,
    I hope your weather warms up soon. It has been beautiful here. The only thing needed is a little rain.

• Boomer _Lady
    19 years ago

Rainbow,
    The rubber snakes sound like a good idea. I will try that later, if the bunnies become more of a problem.

I have an empty field behind my house & I think there must be hundreds of them living back there. I had my helper leave the grass a little taller behind my fence the last time he mowed. So far they seem happy munching on that.

• bettyboops
    19 years ago

I sent my SP today. I haven't received one this month yet.

• the_loam_ranger
    19 years ago

Debbie SW OK--

Re: your bunny problem, I have also heard that if you collect the hair from your hairbrush and put it where you don't want them, they will avoid that area.

I don't know that this works first-hand, as I don't have a problem with the bunnies eating up stuff around here (although I have quite a few). I suspect it's because we sow oats and winter rye in the pastures that surround my house, so that they're getting plenty to eat and my "cultivated" stuff isn't as attractive.

• RainbowLake
    19 years ago

While we are talking about getting rid of critters. Anybody have suggestions for getting rid of moles and gophers? I have plenty of both. Also an armadillo living under the side of my house that I can't seem to get rid of.

• MarilynInNC
    19 years ago

I wanted to let you know that I sent a package :)

Marilyn

• cassiet
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Betty & Karen,
    LMK when you get your package. I have them as being mailed by your pals just a little late.

Cassie