SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denno_gw

surviving the heat wave!

denno
16 years ago

I decided to start my worm bin a few weeks ago, knowing the warmest weather would still be coming. I made a wooden box( 30 x 18"), and cover it with 3/8" CDX. (2 pieces laid over the box) The worms seem happy, and have really started consuming the bedding and food I have put in. Anyway, since the weather has been going to the high 8os and beyond, I put a frozen gal btl of water on top of the CDX every afternoon. I have the bin in my steel shed,(21' x 26")which pretty much follows the outside temps. Yesterday, the outside temp reached 97, and I measured 90 in the bin. However, I noticed a bunch of the worms had migrated to the top of whatever cardboard I leave over the bedding, in order to get the cooler air coming through the wood from the frozen btl, which I change a couple times in the afternoon on a day like that. None have tried to bail out, as far as I can see, and this morning they're back to normal. But this is part of the test to see if I can get them to survive year round, before I start expanding the population. So far, so good! Soon, I'll be trying to figure out how to insulate them from the cold! Will be watching for any posts on this very helpful forum on that subject. (surviving cold)

Comments (14)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional