SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamato3_gw

help- how big do I need?

mamato3
15 years ago

I started a bin in fedbruary. I've discovered that I wayyy underestimated just how big of a bin I need.

My ultimate goal is to have worms to completely process all of our junk mail, paperboard containers, etc. I don't do much gardening, only select houseplants, so castings aren't really my concern. My goal is to have 0 compostable materials leaving our house in the form of trash. (meaning, it doesn't really matter if it takes a year for paperboard to break down 100%, because I don't have a use for the castings)

I have a lot of cardboard and paperboard waste (ie, diaper and soda boxes), plus quite a bit of food products. There are 6 of us in the house, 3 adults and 3 small kids. We also have a LOT of leaves that I would prefer to compost.

I started using a large rubbermaid container, and 1# of worms. I have no idea how big my rubbermaid container is, but it's pretty danged big. It's approx the size of my 55 gallon fish tank, so I assume it's somewhere around 50-60 gallons.

I obviously need MORE worms (have ordered 2 more #s) and probably another bin too. My worms seem to be reproducing well, but not fast enough. I sorted some the other day, and found hundreds and hundreds of babies, and at least 1 cocoon for every 1/4-1/2 cup of dirt I moved (maybe 85% done)

I know, be patient, but I don't want to wait a year to have enough worms! LOL

So, can anyone give me a guesstimate on how big of a container, or how many worms I should expect to need?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm