SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamato3_gw

another bsf larvae question- odd occurance

15 years ago

I only had a few that I saw a few weeks ago. Apparently some of them didn't make it out of the bin to turn to adult, because I recently found a huge quantity of BSF.

One interesting question I have, is what kills bsf larvae?

I switched my bin contents into 2 smaller bins a while ago. So, I currently have 2 bins that are approx 3 sq ft each.

Their bedding is broken up old leaves and shredded newspaper/ cardboard.

Two completely different things are going on in my bins, and I'm curious what happened differently.

Bin # 1- almost no recognizable leaves, very little newspaper that is still recognizeable as shreds. A few wet newpaper clumps near bottom. BSF in this bin appear to have died off! I was digging through, and all I found were immobile larvae, in all sizes. Didn't twitch when I poked at them, etc. Appear dead. Worms working bin at all levels, with larger amounts near the newpaper clumps at bottom. Bin has had no kitchen scraps in last 2 weeks.

Bin #2- large amount of leaves still left, newspaper gone. Cardboard was in hand-torn chunks, not shredded. About 1/2 of cardboard still recognizeable. Worms working this bin at all levels. Lots of small bsf larvae, few midsize. All appear healthy and happy to my disgust. They are located in one general area- the place I fed about 2 weeks ago.

So- what killed off the bsf in only one bin? Can bsf survive on paper alone? IF not, then is that the trick to getting rid of them?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional