SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novaplantguy_z7b_8a

Very Strange Spider Plant Occurance. Mystery?

Ok, so this is new to me, but may not be to some of you, so maybe someone out there can tell me what is going on. Here is the story:

So, I go to a very nice, and very large nursery here in our area called Merrifield Garden Center, new years eve day. Two friends and I. I was looking for a small ALL GREEN spider plant. Alas, they didnt have any "small" ones for me to buy. They only had two LARGE all green ones in hanging baskets that were covered in babies. I asked about buying one of the "babies' off of the big plant (all green) and the very nice lady eaches up.. breaks a BIG "baby" one off.. and says, "Oh look, what a terrible accident...." hands the baby, stolon and all, and says "happy new year!"

Howe very cool. It gets better tho, and this is where the mystery lies.

This all green baby, from an all green mother plant, had been on the mother so long, that it had produced its very OWN stolon, w/ 4 branches, and a few of its OWN "babies", the largest is the one at the very end, as is usually the case. The stolon and its branches had flower buds as well, which are now about to open.

I didnt notice this immediatly, but after a few minutes of holding it I started inspecting the stolon and its babies. Mind you, this stolon is coming FROM the "baby" that was still on the stolon to ITS mother plant, that the laday that works there broke of to give to me. Anyway, the baby plants on the "BABY"s stolon are NOT solid green. In fact, they are wildly stripped, in rather odd patterns. Ive never seen a spider plant like it. There are also a fairly large number of almost ENTIRELY WHITE leaves. The entirely white leaves do have a very thin green strip on the leaf edges though.

SO my question is, why is this happening. I thought spider babies were exact genetic copies of thier mother? The "BIG BABY" that I was given that has produced this stolon, is all green, as was ITS mother plant. SO where is this verigation coming from? Is it possible that it is a recessive gene that has come out?

OR, could the stolon that the "BIG BABY" that is all green, was on, have been pollinated by a verigated plant when it bloomed? If so, would being polinated by a verigated plant, cause the baby plant thats on the stolon, to produce verigated babies, even though it is a green plant? Or does the pollination of the flowers on the stolon not affect the baby plants that are on the same stolon at all? Does anyone possibly know whats going on here? Has anyone ever seen something like this before?

Ill try to post some pics of this over the weekend.

Thanks for any and all help!

~ NPG

Comments (11)