SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eclectic_gardener

Help please- neighbor threw out Gardenia - I took it home....

eclectic_gardener
17 years ago

Hello,

It has been a very long time since I last visited.

I have missed gardening a great deal. I have had a "series of unfortunate events" (a badly broken foot being at the top of the list).

I am sorry to ask for help, however my neighbors have moved, a realtor bought the house and brought in a landscape crew. They basically cleaned out the yard.

They took out this HUGE Gardenia shrub, I couldent resist asking for it. It had been sitting out on the sidewalk all day before they got the ok from their boss to let me have it.

I pruned all the top of the tree off, as its rootball was considerably small compared to the size of the shrub.

I cannot plant it immediately, can anyone tell me what I should do with it until I can plant it in the ground.

I do not want to put it in a pot, it is pretty large, and it would only be until late tomorrow until I could get it in the ground. I have wrapped it in wet towels, I am not sure if this is the correct thing to do or not.

Also, I live in Plano, could someone please tell me if they can take full sun. It was planted in the shade before, however I never remember it blooming. It is a bit yellow, and I presume it needs some good acid soil and a bit of iron.

I would be very thankful for any advice.

RT

Comments (3)