SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dotsandstripes123

Neighbor came on construction site and took photos

We are building a home, the last of 8 homes on a street. We have video cameras on the construction site, for security and also as a momento of the process. Yesterday we were looking at the footage and noticed a man dressed in business attire walk on to the site. We stayed for more than 5 minutes, taking photos/video from his phone, going down to the walkout basement level and walking out on the deck area. This bothers me because of the invasion but also because of the potential liability. We have determined it is the next door neighbor, with whom we have not met in person, only via a brief email exchange. My first thought is to put a large No Trespassing sign so that he and the other neighbors do not try this again, but am I out of line to be bothered by his "visit"? The site is fenced in, but it was a work day so the gate was open for the trades people. I probably won't directly confront him but our contractor is aware that he came on site and will confront him (in a nice way) if he tries this again.

Comments (53)

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    I'm into photography, and it has struck me that others may find my resulting behaviour rather strange. perhaps there's a similar explanation. perhaps he's the curious type, or planning a new house himself.
    I'm not saying there's no grounds for annoyance, but there's no grounds for worry at least.
    Get to know him with minimal presumptions, he may be a snoopy sneaky type, or someone who didn't regard what he did as wrong in any way, and is actually quite a good neighbour
    or he may be checking that the bodies weren't unearthed
  • David Cary
    6 years ago

This is always a regional thing to me. In our area, builds are pretty open. No gates. So many builds are spec homes that people are practically invited to walk the property.

If it was your truly next door neighbor, he maybe doing what I have done (but not in an under construction house), checking out what you can see of his house from inside yours. Pictures - so they can review. "See - we need a tree here and we need blinds on this window. If we put the hottub right there, they won't be able to see us"

• Related Discussions

I finally chose..but then my neighbor came over

Q

Comments (86)
    ...if I went to see a movie, I would be noticing kitchens. lascatz, I do this all the time these days. I'm driving my hubby crazy! Congratulations on your happy news, spincrazy! Even though you now have a good reason to stick to a time line, try to follow lascatz and marthavila's advice and take a break, even if it's a small one. And it might not hurt to heed my hubby's advice. When I get stuck in a never-ending what-do-I-do quandary, he reminds me that "there comes a time in every project when you need to shoot the engineer and ship the product." ;-) Not that they actually do that (thank goodness since he's an engineer!) but his point is that we can fuss and fuss and fuss with a plan, thinking the perfect answer is just around the corner and we fail to realize that what we might be doing is just revisiting the same issues over and over and not making any progress at all. Besides, perfection isn't possible.
    ...See More

I took my first gravestone photos today, and......

Q

Comments (15)
    I am a volunteer on FindAGrave.com It's a very neat web site. You can look up cemeteries and or names. If you need a picture of a headstone far away from you. .just put in a request on the site and they e-mail that to the nearest volunteer in the area. I just got a request yesterday for 3 in my area. .I did e-mail them and told them I claimed the request but we are having a heat wave here in Oklahoma right now so it would be later next week till I could get out late of an evening to take the pictures. Sometimes you do have to do a lot of walking to find the grave. It's sure a lot more fun to do this in the fall or when the weather is a LOT cooler. .Susan you should check out FindAGrave. .I bet you would make a great volunter there also. .Debbie
    ...See More

Photos i just took of what's blooming at my house

Q

Comments (6)
    love them! beautiful jade tree! could the one you're asking the name for be some sort of anacampseros rufescens? If it is...it's getting a lot of sun to grow so compact and red! I'm not really sure what happened to the links, could you just highlight a word, select the Link icon, and paste in the link from your photobucket album? If that's what you did...not sure why houzz didn't like it.
    ...See More

Neighbors from hell during our construction process

Q

Comments (25)
    Two disclaimers before I start. First, I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice, this time I thought I needed to say that. Next, I tend to be fairly aggressive in stopping this type of BS before it starts taking up too much of my time. ----- If this were one or possibly two neighbors I would advise ignoring it and just moving on. However, at some point it becomes a self-reinforcing problem and I suspect with three neighbors participating you may be at that point. In those situations they don't need your participation in order to have drama, they can participate in the drama with each other and may attempt to escalate in order to get a reaction. In some of these situations their need to prove you are the bad guy will extend to outright criminal behavior in order to get a reaction from you that they can use to prove they were "right about you all along." I am going to focus on one thing specifically and relay what I would have done. Again, this works for my personality but may not for yours. Harassing contractors (yelling, threatening, hovering, spraying with a hose) The above is what I see as your most actionable thing. Especially spraying with a hose as technically that is assault (not saying that you will get a prosecution for it). I would instruct the general contractor that if anyone on the job gets sprayed with a hose that contractor should immediately stop working until they have dried sufficiently to work "safely." Please call the police to report the incident and present me with a separate bill for all the charges related to that delay. I would then present that bill to the neighbor as actual damages caused by their action. I would hand the letter to them as well as mail a copy. When handing it to them I would simply say, "I will give you a chance to settle this but I sincerely hope you don't because I want to escalate it." The whole point of this is to get all the actions out in front of an authority figure. If your side of the story is accurate the judge is likely to do you a solid and issue a warning to them, even in small claims court. This is essentially reporting the bully to the principal. Usually that stops these kinds of problems. Publicly shaming them on the internet is the other option, I just don't love that option as it can get away from you. I guess my only real advice is listen to your attorney but do let him help you stop this now if he thinks he can. Otherwise it is very likely to continue to get worse.
    ...See More
  • Najeebah
    6 years ago
    another good point there, David. These possible reasons may still be seen not to justify him coming over, but at the least, understanding people is the first step to dealing with them.
  • just_janni
    6 years ago

I went snooping around into every house under construction in my neighborhood after I moved in (and likely before). Pictures are a little weird, IMO, but when we built (last time / in a neighborhood) cell phones were not "a thing")

I'd just let it go. Being nosy is a time honored neighborhood tradition. ;-)

• PLF (Middle TN, Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

Along with the no trespassing sign, I would put up a video surveillance sign as well. When they were building houses around me, I never went onto the property to take pictures for where to put trees, but I did walk over to the property line of one house to inspect the line where the water from the new build would be flowing into mine but it all turned out fine.

• Michael Lamb
    6 years ago

If your neighbor has the exact same layout, one motivation for taking pictures might be to see where things lie underneath the drywall. When I get to that stage, I plan on taking photos of all the open walls, so if I ever need to do any work later, I will know what is behind the drywall in that area.

• Michael Lamb
    6 years ago

You could also say to your neighbor, "Hey, I noticed you taking some pictures of the interior of my house, do you mind if I come inside your house and take some pictures too?"

• gthigpen
    6 years ago

Like jannicone, I snoop around into every open construction house I can. Most builds around here are custom, so it's interesting to me to see the different layouts and the sizes of homes that are going up. Most are also wide open (no fencing) so very easy to walk right in, assuming no doors are in yet. Since are now building right next door to our current house, I can see the comings and goings of people in our new house. We regularly get neighbors walking in, some I know, some I don't. I've never noticed them to take pictures though and I've never taken pics myself. We will be putting in a fence sometime shortly as just a couple of weeks ago, a man walked right up in the middle of the day and stole a roll of roof paper and a work light. My DH even chased him down but he kept walking, got in his car and drove off. At least he got his license plate for the police report.

• freeoscar
    6 years ago

I'm a little jaded on this topic as we had a situation similar to what worthy described. While we didn't need a formal restraining order against our neighbor, the police officer game him a warning that if he ever stepped into our house again he'd have him arrested immediately. That stopped the situation.

If he was taking pictures for non-nefarious reasons, he should have asked your permission ahead of time. If you go to speak to him, wait for him to bring up the fact that the had done so. If he doesn't, I'd be worried about what he was up to.

• dazureus
    6 years ago

This bugs the hell out of me too and I'm trying to change my mindset from "invasion of privacy" to "minor annoyance". We have no trespassing signs and a chain across our driveway. Our house site sits 250' back on our peninsula property in the woods with the driveway being the only means of access. Still we get nosy neighbors helping themselves to the sanctity of our woods to take a curious peek at the house. I have wireless trail cams set up to send pictures to my phone whenever they detect movement, but live too far away to confront the snoopers. The house is locked up but it still bugs me. I think the property was a popular walking area before we purchased it and despite the multiple signs (No trespassing, danger construction site, premises monitored by camera), people still stroll there. It's annoying, but there's not much I can do.

• User
    6 years ago

Since the neighbor has the OPs email, it is only right that they contact you and get your permission prior to entering your construction site. If I was contacted, I would not have a problem but would if they take the liberty to snoop around on their own. I would not enter a home without the owners or builders permission.

• User
    6 years ago

I have to agree with the previous two posters. I find it invasive. I do not understand why people simply can not ask personally. If they don't see you there personally maybe they could ask a worker or builder who could then get in touch with you. I always feared someone would get hurt snooping around. That worried me more than something getting stolen. I am quite positive our neighbors nosed around our build. The sad part is if they would have asked I would be more than happy to show them around and encourage them to be careful and not trespass.

dotsandstripes 123 thanked User
  • chispa
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I went into a house that was being built next door as soon as they put on a second story and window openings. I took pictures of my house from their master bedroom window and balcony.

All the neighbors had fought with city planning/zoning about how intrusive this house was on the 7 neighboring properties. We got nothing from the city and the new owners were allowed to do as they pleased. Instead of getting lawyers, we spent the money on landscaping.

My photos helped us decide what to plant to block their view of our patio and rear windows. Bonus - the plants have grown tall enough to also block their distant mountain views over our house!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

I guess I better stop wandering other people's construction sites.

I have had minor injuries on construction sites, but only on the ones I was suppose to be on.

• worthy
    6 years ago

Teens partying after hours in the basement of a home I was building were chased off by a neighbour. In their rush, one left a quite nice sterling silver necklace and pendant that my oldest son appreciated. "Cool, Dad."

Meanwhile, the neighbour across the street blithely told me that he considered anything on a construction site "fair game." That's why new subdivisions have security; I've even seen security on three-home projects in our fair city.

Luxury home under construction lit up for the Holidays, Larkfield Rd., North York, Toronto.

Theft, vandalism and arson go hand-in-hand with new construction. That's why I never sweat the tourists!

• BT
    6 years ago

I have you beat worthy.

We do have No Trespassing signs on our property. The farm has no lights, large barn and gets pretty dark. One day we encounter an individual , who we did not know and he quickly left noticing us and avoiding us... But not before leaving us with the present...

=

The Police issued flashlight and the baton [500ft deep from the road]. The flashlight is really cool.. and has an inscription, the baton I left. He must have had it in his hand and left them in the dark. Would have been nicer if he left us his service weapon too. But oh well.

• homechef59
    6 years ago

When we were building our home on 20 acres out in the country, our soon to be neighbor visited our construction site with a measuring tape. He was a builder and had built a home next door on another 20 acre parcel. There was a minimum square footage requirement, which we were going to meet with no problems.

In background, we had interviewed this guy about building for us, but we both determined very quickly that he was an axxhole, a thief, a snob and incompetent. Instead, we a hired a great builder.

This guy was coming over during construction and giving our builder the third degree about the house size. He was sure it wasn't big enough and hadn't been approved by the other neighbor who had approval authority. He went to that neighbor and complained about our plan. It wasn't grand enough. He had built a McMansion next door. He expected another McMansion to stroke his ego. Our home was a much more appropriate, modest, highly detailed historic reproduction beautifully executed.

We didn't find out about his visits until well after finishing our home. Our builder was really low key. He knew I would hit the ceiling. Rightly, he waited to tell us much later. I still dislike that guy 10 years later. BTW, the house he built next door has all kinds of structural issues. I feel sorry for the new owners. What a shyster.

dotsandstripes 123 thanked homechef59
  • Sunnysmom
    6 years ago

Get a security system with two way audio... ask them if they have someone they would like you to call after they are arrested.

• inv116
    6 years ago

dotsandstripes 123 I agree with you - invasion and liability. Definitely have your contractor say something. I like the idea of the "no trespassing" sign, but your future neighbors may get offended - but put it up if other people keep "visiting" your site!

dotsandstripes 123 thanked inv116
  • millworkman
    6 years ago

Human nature, you tell someone they can't go there they will try more often than not.

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    I grow increasing fond of my neighbours when I'm on houzz (Worthy's post), and they're not all that perfect either
  • Laura Villar
    6 years ago

I love to walk, every time I see NEW construction I wonder on it.. I’t just fun to see NEW Layouts, finishings etc.. like going through model homes (get ideas) just fun! Never knew it would bother someone

• tiggsy
    6 years ago

Like Laura, I love going into houses being constructed just to see layouts, sizes etc. Where I'm from it is almost expected that will happen, many people I know have done it particularly when they are getting ready to build and even after the house is finished :-) If I'm lucky I get to see the owner and ask how they like their builder, it gives me a chance to see the builder's work, how they leave the site looking etc instead of the posed photos or posed site visit you might get if you went to them directly.

• mrrogerscardigan
    6 years ago

Reminds me of how we met our next-door neighbors. Hidden from view in the living room of our nearly complete house, suddenly we notice these two faces peering through the nearby French doors. They stayed for a while, performing reconnaissance while we watched.

We ended up becoming pretty good friends.

• worthy
    6 years ago

Accompanying the buyers into the new home I was building, the wife
    mis-stepped into an opening. She instantly yanked her ankle-length dress to waist level to check
    for injury. I didn't know whether to be titillated or horrified. She was fine!

• User
    6 years ago

Mark Bischak has it right- Anybody building new in a neighborhood should introduce themselves to their neighbors- early, and often. Let them know that you care. And invite them to see progress, as it happens, within reason.

I did that, on a recent build in what is basically an owner street, rapidly re-building. I was very definitive with my contractor- your guys, your subs? Respect this place. These are going to be ny neighbors. Loud music- NO. I have an elderly woman on one side, and a family full of entrepreneurs on the other- including children. Respect us. I was there almost every day, to check.

One Saturday, though? Early in the build, during framing? The most beautiful music happened, between two of the workers, They were on the second story, framing, and singing. Back and forth, and I couldn't follow it all, except for the tune. I almost cried.

Neighbors were out, not to complain but to marvel at the sound. This is what the visual was. My Singing Cowboys In The Sky- this pic exists in my home, edited, cropped, blown up and beautiful. Won't ever forget that, whatever they were going through, personally, they chose that moment to sing. Scroll in to see the "lasso". Big on a wall, here. And thanks for the song.

• lookintomyeyes83
    6 years ago

I'll admit it, I haven't introduced myself to my neighbors. Why? I didn't move to a rural area (20 2-acre lots in a subdivision, surrounded by 5+ acre lots and farms) to talk to people - I bought to get away from them. And my husband has allergies to pets, and all my neighbors have pets...We posted no trespassing signs, and our builder has a trailcam to monitor sneaky snoops...

• User
    6 years ago

The reasoning makes me laugh! Do consider, though, how much your "no trespassing" attitude might actually pique interest in neighbors- just like you, who don't want a lot of contact or conflict- who otherwise might have left you alone. C'mon- I've done rural. They are some of the most curious folks out there. "No Trespassing" could mean "Pot farm coming" as far as they're concerned.

Just because you're on acreage doesn't mean you shouldn't introduce yourself to your neighbors- if not for your sanity, then for theirs. :)

• PLF (Middle TN, Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

In my town, we've had problems with people stealing from construction sites, dumping, etc....I saw one video from the local police dept. showing a man just driving up in his pick-up stealing wood, and other supplies.

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

When we built our pool, in a 20-year old suburban neighborhood, it was common to look out the windows and see various neighbors we knew and did not know marching around our backyard and discussing the pool with the subs. That was weird!! We assumed it must be normal for construction work, but I certainly would never intrude into someone else's backyard like that without asking first!

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    great story Juanita, love that you've saved the moment put up in your house
  • Pinebaron
    6 years ago

I too bought this lot to give me space and distance from nearest neighbors but I love to help out with anything and be of service.

Have a time lapse camera on site serving two purposes, watch our home being built and for general security even though it is a very safe area, one never knows. I have no problems with curious neighbors, they are welcome to take pictures, at my reauest they used to take and send me excavation pictures while I was at client site in CT for six weeks.

Read below if you have the patience:

The good thing is our new neighbors love me (that's so weird, someone actually likes me? I can barely tolerate myself) and embarrassingly continue to thank me every time I visit the development; just sort of happened. They all know I don't mind them walking their dogs on our land so long as they don't leave poop behind, don't leave as much as a butt end or scrap of paper or anything else behind, mess makes my blood boil; I resolve technical messes for a living, don't need to see physical mess on our lot or our home. Apparently last year someone from outside the developement dumped some trash or some random material on my lot, neighbors got together and scurried to clean up the mess before I visited the lot again, never saw a trace of it.

Last year I had a few issues with the land developer when he disappoved of my long rectangle home foundation and design in his architecture review, I refused to change anything, all neighbors were very sympathetic since they perceived my build would potentially enhance values of their homes (their taxes have since gone up but that was due to a county review every six years). The land developer gave up trying, reluctantly approved my design and we are good friends now; he has since given up the HOA and residents own it. I volunteered to be the technical director of the HOA and am also collectively responsible for architecural review; I primarily resolve technical issues, manage/maintain/install our entry gate control systems and associated security camera/s, internet routers, phone line etc plus act as an arbitrator, helping maintain the peace between residents while remaining absolutely neutral, not always so easy whilst having a zero tolerance for nonsense.

Just before the land developer gave up the HOA, he installed automatic security gates at the entrance to the development; the darn things never worked right and frequent failures caused huge inconvienience to the residents with entry/exit, missed mail, paper, deliveries, garbage etc. etc. especially through last winter in PNW. It was a brand new elegant and very expensive system, installed last fall, however poorly wired, configured etc. I took over and spent hours/days in rewiring, reconfiguring the system in sub freezing temperatures, though weekends, late evenings, in incessant rain and snow, basically deconstructed and reconstruted the entire system, built in security system redundancy, back up power etc. etc. In short what looked very pretty and was an absolute pain to the residents, now works flawlessly 24/7 and soon they will have live internet video feed of camera/s, motion recordings etc. all neighbors love it.

All our neighbors are looking forward to us moving in, being invited to bbq, drinks etc. they know we love to entertain.

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    so anymore funnies on the footage, op?
  • jaimeeap
    6 years ago

If a completed house had their front door wide open and I really wanted to see the layout and how they decorated the house, would I walk in and take a peek? NO! It's so interesting to me that people think because a house is still under construction that it is fine to walk in and through the house. It's not your property and you do not have permission. It's quite bold and rude.

I saw an acquaintance post on Facebook that her daughter really wanted to ride her scooter but it was raining. She included a video of her daughter riding her scooter all throughout the under construction neighbor's house, saying "problem solved". Her, her husband, toddler son and scooter riding daughter having a grand old time in someone else home they've never met.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Maybe it's a sign of changing times? I know my parents back in the 50's - 70's would stop at nearby home construction sites on weekends (so as not to get in anyone's way) and explore, just to see. Just out of curiosity. Sometimes their two kids (us) got to go along, too. No photos taken, nothing touched. Of course, liability is more of an issue now than it was then!

A few of us went up to some condos under construction, behind our own, back in the 80's, on the Fourth of July, so we could watch the town fireworks from an elevated location.

Due to the "lawyer up" attitude these days, I wouldn't consider it now.

The camera, however, is rather weird!!!

• dotsandstripes 123
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So far, no more interesting footage. We have had a large sign on the fence from the camera company with the company logo, etc., that the neighbor must have driven by hundreds of times but this week we've added a sign that states "24 hour video surveillance, no trespassing". I still am bothered by his bravado just strolling into the house and taking photos and remain concerned about him hurting himself. We have temporary/scaffolding stairs that are not the easiest to navigate so when I saw him on two different levels of the house, I got concerned. Hopefully, his photos satisfied his curiosity and he doesn't bring his family for a "tour". We would have been fine to show him around if he would have asked.

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    well again I understand your annoyance but in all probability he didn't regard it as intrusive. Let it be, unless it continues. you've probably got bigger issues on your mind with the building. Regards
  • dotsandstripes 123
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Very true! And I do want to have a neighborly relationship with him.

• kirkhall
    6 years ago

I think it is easiest to say, "hey, we were reviewing footage and noticed you stopped by. Let us know next time and I'll be happy to show you around." Or, "if you need a particular picture, I'm happy to take it for you and email it"...

Probably the best way to say you caught him, and you want to be neighborly.

• sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

I was absolutely shocked how many times I'd roll up to our house during construction and see neighbors peeking in windows or even playing in the backyard. When I approached them they had no shame.

It's very strange to me that folks have no sense of private property. One even let it slip that she and her kids played in our yard after we've moved in, but when we were out of town. Considering "attractive nuisance" and that we have a backyard playset and trampoline for our kiddos it kind of freaks me out. After that exchange I increased our umbrella policy.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

"Rattlesnake Area! Not responsible for snake bites! Call 911...if you can!"

• worthy
    6 years ago

(Course, here in Canuckistan, where the homeowner is required to flee armed invaders, posting this would more than likely result in charges against the property owner.)

• User
    6 years ago

I was gonna say, why hasn't anyone suggested shooting them?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 years ago

Shooting them may damage the camera.

• sprink1es
    6 years ago

I understand being protective and worried. However, what about everyone who puts their homes in the new Showcase/Parade? A hundred people will tromp through your finished home and can take all the pictures they want.

I would feel protective and invaded too, but just take a step back and realize they're just being curious and probably think it's cool.

• S.
    6 years ago

Don't people volunteer their homes for showcases/parades? That doesn't appear to be the case here...

I'm of mixed opinion as I've experienced the pros and cons of being the walker and the walkee (or trespasser and trespassed depending on your feelings about it). I have some beyond nosy in-laws and having them "check in" with the subs during a build felt like an invasion of privacy, but having a stranger check out our house vs. the spec house vs their changes didn't ding my alarms. Like anything, intent colors the experience.

• suellen19
    6 years ago

Bothered me a bit when people we knew mentioned they had been in our new construction. I mean really? If they had just asked DH he would have been more than happy to show them around. Also my brother took pictures of the mostly finished house and sent them to my out of town sisters. When I found out I was annoyed enough to speak to him about it. After all it is MY house.

• dazureus
    6 years ago

I love showing off our construction progress and maintain a weekly updated blog, but it annoys me when people, even family members visit the build without informing me first. To me, it's the difference between me giving and providing, versus someone taking like they own the place. If I'm showcasing my house in parade of homes, I'm giving tours or giving permission. Big difference if someone just walks up off the street to partake of my things without permission. I'm still trying to not let it bother me, but it's tough for some reason. Something very deeply rooted in my personality I guess.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I don't want people without permission walking onto my home build.

It can be dangerous with the building materials all over the place and if someone is hurt on my property, then I'm liable.

I was in the house checking a few things on a Saturday back in late April. Up walks a mother and adult daughter and they start poking around in my garage, picking up some of the lumber, looking at everything, etc.

I asked them what they were doing and they said they were just looking around. (Looked to me like they were wondering if they could "borrow" a few things from the way they were talking.) I let them know they were trespassing and they tried to explain how they were just looking.

So I said to them, "Well I guess I'll take a walk with you back to your home now so I can go poke around and pick up materials in your house too, since you think this is ok."

I reiterated that they were on private property and they were not welcome on mine.

I have permission from my builder to check out his other builds, but if I ever ran into the homeowner and he/she asked me not to walk around, I'd honor that. As for other builds not by my builder, I would not walk through without permission.

• carladr
    6 years ago

Thanks suellen and cpartist. The bravado of just walking onto our fenced-in property without asking and taking photos/videos does bother me. Not to mention, the harm to himself and liability to us that he created if he got hurt is pure carelessness on his part.

No recent sightings!