SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patsuweb

do you chop, blend or grind foods first?

patsuweb
11 years ago

About 2 weeks ago, I transferred the partially composted contents of my Rubbermaid type of bin to a 13 gal. flo-thru that SusanfromHawaii designed.

http://vermicomposters.ning.com/profiles/blogs/mini-flow-through-bins

I must say that I found this bin very easy to make using just a drill and a box cutter. It seems to be working very well. As the trashcan is totally black, I put in a white ruler to help me see the level of the bedding. The level of the moist part has dropped 3" and though I think that the contents may have settled some, I think that the red wigglers are quickly processing the bedding and food. I have been chopping the food into about 1" pieces and freezing before adding.

I am wondering if using a blender to finely chop the food which is mostly watermelon, banana peels and apple cores would be better since it would enable the worms to process the food even faster? I keep a layer of cardboard and several inches of shredded dry paper over the food and usually see worms swarming over the chopped food, but it does take a few days for them to process it.

Should I drain the food or leave some of the excess juice since it is a flo-thru and there doesn't seem to be a problem with too much moisture? I used thin cardboard as a base to hold the vermi-compost and it is still moist and intact. I had a gnat problem right after doing the transfer from the old bin which seemed to be too wet near the bottom, but there are very few now. Will blending the food lessen the chances of them returning or increase them? This is an indoor bin and can't be kept outside due to 100 degree plus temps here.

I know that many of you may have a similar system and can offer some expert advice on the pros and cons of using a blender or food processor before feeding.

...thanks, Pat

Here is a link that might be useful: Susan's mini flo-thru bin

Comments (6)