SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindseyrose_gw

Tell me about replacing privacy fencing

lindseyrose
17 years ago

Hi everyone! We are new homeowners (1 yr) and have one fence that needs to be replaced. It is approx. 6-6.5 ft. high privacy fence between us and the next door neighbor (I would guess it's about 50-60 ft long?). It's on the south side of our yard. I have a couple questions:

What is the etiquette for approaching the neighbor on replacing the fence? Even if they don't want to or are not able to financially contribute, we still want to replace it (it's rotting badly) and we want to at least give them advance notice, since their back yard will obviously need to be exposed (as will ours)! I just don't want to be awkward or make them feel obligated to do anything...but we can't just replace it without saying anything to them.

How do you pick a fencing company that you trust and that is affordable? Some of our other neighbors have redone parts of their fencing; I've seen them doing it themselves. This is not really our forte and we want to hire the work out, but we are NOT loaded and we need to be conservative.

We want to keep this a privacy fence, but I want to consider what our best options are (for looks and longevity). I don't even know if their are choices as to the type of wood, etc. Any input?

Anything else you want to share with me about this type of project?

Comments (4)