SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Best evergreen privacy tree/hedge to plant along fence?

jaxo
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

There is. 6 ft fence in my patio, but doesn’t provide enough privacy because a neighbors 2nd story window overlooks the patio.

I originally had juniper skyrockets, but they got knocked over in a windstorm and required repeated trimming because branches started getting too wide and were encroaching into the walkway.

I then replaced them all with dwarf Italian cypress that seemed more promising because they look like they would remain narrow enough to never need trimming. However, at least some of the Italian cypress never rooted properly and they are going to need to be staked to keep them from falling over. I have a feeling they are never going to be completely healthy and they may not have been planted closely enough together to provide the privacy I want. So, I’m thinking of cutting my losses and starting over from scratch again with all new plants.

There is only a little over 2 feet of usable planter area depth between the fence and the edges of patio hardscaping.

I don’t want a traditional hedge that requires regular pruning to keep the width under control.

So, I’m thinking of trying the dwarf Italian cypress again, but getting them planted a bit closer together so that they almost grow into a hedge with very little gap between them. Can they tolerate being planted that close together or should I choose a different plant?

I want something that will grow at least 15 feet tall, yet be able to fit comfortably within that narrow planter area. There really is no upper limit in height except that I assume most plants that grow much taller than 20 feet or so probably won’t fit in that narrow of a planter area.

When I get the new plants installed, what do I need to tell the landscapers to do to ensure that these plants roots grow deep and wide so that the plants are very stable and secure in the ground and don’t require staking to support their own weight in the wind? Should I have all the soil replaced with highly amended soil so that the roots don’t have to fight to to spread past the small holes dug for them?

I have 8 of these plants (one of them is hidden behind the closest post in the photo). I’m thinking of getting at least 12 replacement plants that can be planted more closely together and spaced more evenly to block the view from the neighbor’s upstairs window.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County