SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seamaid

Hummer's are here

seamaid
17 years ago

I opened my front door this morning and heard the familiar buzz of a hummingbird. I sat on the porch for about thirty minutes before I actually saw him. I live at Lake Buchanan, in Llano County. I am looking forward to the months of endless entertainment they provide!

Comments (132)

• Bev__
    17 years ago

I've seen 4 more this week, 1 at my feeder and 3 buzzin in the flowers.

• mnktx
    17 years ago

Every evening now at 7:45 the DW and I head out back, take down two of the feeders, become part of the yard art and hold them in our hand. They're here throughout the entire day but dawn is when they get very active and abundant. Dancing, drinking, fighting and a whole mess of talking abound. If you've never had a few males chasing each other a few inches from your face...try it :) The key is just to sit still and when they come close to the feeder, don't move your eyeballs until they start feeding.

Kristi, my DW says the same thing. They're so tiny you think they're so cute and sweet but boy they sure are selfish! Below is one of our fatties. After he eats at the window he sits on this same branch waiting for another male to show up at *his* feeder and promptly tells him how our yard is not big enough for the both of them.

Glad y'all are starting to see them!

{{gwi:1339401}}

• Related Discussions

Hummers are Here!

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks for the notice - I will put up my feeder this morning. Plus, I have purple tubeflower in bloom, the coral honeysuckle is just opening up its flowers, and two red buckeyes are loaded with flowerbuds this year! The hummers ought to have a feast i my yard this year...
    ...See More

Lots of hummers here in South Texas!

Q

Comments (3)
    Check out hummingbirds.net migration map. You may be putting your feeders out late. I loved the migration pattern from about 75 miles off the Gulf in MS, but I like the birds here in south AR also. Had 75 or more females stay for awhile before going south in MS. They don't seem to bunch up as much up here in AR, but I think I may have a few more stay all summer.
    ...See More

Big Fat Hummer still here

Q

Comments (7)
    Hey Lisa, I wouldn't worry, I am just accross the river in Windsor Ontario. I have seen hummers around here as late as the end of November and they were fine. Slowly they will all dissappear but only when they are ready to go. The fact that you have a nice fat one just means she is enjoying her stay in your yard. I still have 5 in my yard, 2 immature males and 3 females, all of which are getting more and more plump every day. My wife even noticed that they are getting fat, she said "They didn't look quite that big when they arrived here...". Enjoy her as long as you can, pretty soon we will be missing them until next spring. I hate winter. Steve
    ...See More

No hummers seen here

Q

Comments (4)
    Steve, keep a feeder up just in case you have a few more...I'll keep my fingers crossed though this male might be your last sighting for the season...sad to think about it, huh? But it does come to an end for all of us. I'm still having lots of activity, but I do think a few have moved on. It's been really hot and humid here, with lots of rain over the past 2 wks, but anticipated cooler temps will most likely send alot of mine packing. I'll be interested to know if you see any more at your place. Keep us posted. Donna
    ...See More
  • rumbum
    17 years ago

I saw 2 hummingbirds this weekend in Hays county. On Sat one flew right up in my face and buzzed me and then on Sunday another came up and stuck his nose into my (empty) feeder. It's like they are screaming "feed us! feed us!"... so I did! :)

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Okay....here's my first pic. I have the feeder hanging on one of my tomato cages and the wire of the cage seems to fit their feet perfectly. Anyhow, I KNOW it's not the best pic, but I picked up a window feeder today and hope to have a better one soon :).

Kristi

• melvalena
    17 years ago

I'm happy for you all that have your hummers. Really I am.

I still got nothin.

• beeanne
    17 years ago

Melvalena, keep your chin up. I am west of you and have had one, so I'm sure you have them too. I didn't see mine today but I know they are here.....somewhere.

• melvalena
    17 years ago

I'm trying to Beeanne! I thought for sure I'd see one last week.
    Everyday, I think "today is the day"! But nuthin....

I spend a lot of time outside, and I have a huge (8 X 4) kitchen window and a glass sliding door facing the back where most of my feeders are. that's almost a whole wall of glass to look out.
    During the summer I see them constantly. During morning coffee and eve after dinner I could sit out there and see bunches come and go.
    But so far I haven't seen a one. :(

My family is sick of hearing me whine about it...so you guys get to listen to me now. :)

• justintx
    17 years ago

Activity is starting to pickup here in Justin. DW had one hover at our open back door. She thought he was going to come in!!! Said he/she was very green all over. Very different from the black-chinned that I've been seeing.

Kristi- you're pretty gutsy posting that picture barely showing your hummer. Maybe the 'sharks' have finished feeding (on me). ; - )

• remuda1
    17 years ago

"Kristi- you're pretty gutsy posting that picture barely showing your hummer. Maybe the 'sharks' have finished feeding (on me). ; - )"

LOL, thanks JD for being the sacrificial lamb ;).

I have a question for all of you though...Since I put up the window feeder, they have ignored it and continued to use the other feeder exclusively. Should I take down the other feeder to leave them only the window feeder? The two feeders are within sight of eachother.... I figured that since now that I have more than one hummer, and one of them has laid claim to the other feeder, that the window feeder would be attractive to the less dominant one. But he just gets chased away and ignors the window feeder...... Thanks in advance for your help :)

Kristi

• melvalena
    17 years ago

Kristi,

Move the other feeder out of sight of the first one. Or put up a bunch more feeders.

I have them scattered all over the place. Many of them are with in sight of each other. But several are not.
    What happens later in the summer, is one hummer will lay claim to them all, but can't defend all at once.

There will be turf wars and many battles. Eventually they all get some time at the feeders while several others are buzzing around. The feeders aren't the hummers' main food source.
    They have to feed on bugs and flower nectar too so there's always a lot of coming and going.

The feeder up next to my window gets visited the least.

• brendazone9
    17 years ago

i'm in sa, tx and seen my first on 3-15 but heard them a day or two before, but like you melvlena, i start going crazy to see them about jan of early feb and my family goes nuts hearing about it, i have about at least 30 buzzing and am having a hard time keeping feeders full. black chin, ruby throat and a few other species some has purple band on throat

• bo_berrin
    17 years ago

Here's a picture I took a few days ago. I'm only seeing this one hummer now, using both feeders which are about nine feet apart, in view of each other. The other feeder is on a window. I think I'll have to move one out of view so he'll have to share. That is, until I can put up several, like Melvalena. Let the Bird Wars begin!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

I love that pic.

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Dad Gummit! Saw my first female this evening. When I went to push the "take a picture" button, I hit the off button, sigh.......

By the way...I moved the other feeder out of sight of the window feeder. They came and checked out one feeding hole, then the other feeding hole and left the window feeder. It was a different solution (powdered) that I used in the window feeder and they just looked like they didn't like it. Soooo, I emptied it and re-filled it with the concentrate solution. They've been feeding at the window feeder since the change all day and this evening :).

Kristi

• bo_berrin
    17 years ago

Thanks! This hummer is kinda skittish. He doesn't like to come around when I'm standing there, no matter how still I am. Had to wait a while for this shot. I took this one while I was waiting there, a bit earlier. Does that tell you how long I waited? : )

• bo_berrin
    17 years ago

LOL Kristi--isn't it frustrating? I've done that!

• justintx
    17 years ago

I think they see their reflection in the windows while approaching the feeders and it spooks them. They also don't really like my feeder up on the porch. Maybe they feel a little 'hemmed in' on the porch with only 1 or 2 escape paths. They seem to REALLY like the 97 cent feeders hanging from the tree. SOMEDAY, they will love my B&B salvia, butterfly bush, turk's cap, gaura, s. greggi 'flame' etc. (thanks Carrie!!!)

• mnktx
    17 years ago

Brenda, we sure are getting our share of them aren't we? The ruby's and broad-tailed (very similar to ruby) will hang around for a little while but we'll have the BC'd all summer :) The one you mentioned with the purple gorget is probably a black-chinned. Next time you see it, look for the little white dot behind the eye.

So glad to see everyone's reports on the hummers. Think I could convince anyone not to use the red dye? :)

• carrie751
    17 years ago

I hope so, mnktx, as it is really not good for them. Sugar water is still the best thing to fill your feeders with = 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. I finally saw my first one about a week ago, so all my feeders are up now, but they are still feeding mostly on the flowers.

• remuda1
    17 years ago

TaDAAAAAA!

Kristi

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Kristi, PERFECTION! I have never been able to get a pic of mine - not enough patience, I suppose.

• bo_berrin
    17 years ago

Great photo, Kristi! Wish I could get mine to sit still!

mnktx and Carrie, this is the store-bought mix which comes red like that. I've always used the red mix just till the hummers found the feeders, and then switched to homemade since it's cheaper; I figured the red would help to attract them initially. I knew I wasn't supposed to use food coloring in my homemade mixture, but figured the companies who made the mix professionally had some kind of *safe* red dye. Is this not true?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    17 years ago

Ah Kristi, great shot of that little cutie!

Pam

• mnktx
    17 years ago

Finally Kristi! Congrats :)))

In regards to the red dye, I was hoping not to come across as a no dye activist by any extreme! There's a LOT of rumors about the pros and cons but there has been no substantial research to prove harmful effects (nor beneficial for that matter)...on hummers and this is what I usually hear from the red dye 'ok' supporters if you will. BUT, there has been studies on the effects of red dyes in mice with negative effects. The dye that is used is approved by our all-knowing government for *human* consumption but those that have cats know they dare not give a Tylenol to them at risk of death. Same thing goes in my opinion...just because it's okay for humans, doesn't make it ok for wildlife. The dye is usually made from coal tar and last I checked, not many things eat tar :) I also consider their size. If I take 800mg of ibuprofen...headache gone. But that same amount to an infant?

I also stay away from store bought nectars because they often sit on shelves a lot and has to have some form of preservative added to protect the almighty bottom line.

About attracting them initially...they have much better vision that we do. Like many birds, they can see a much broader range of colors and into the UV spectrum. They're attracted to flowers which are usually small objects amongst brown and green, not huge red honkers. They'll see the red from the feeder alone well enough. I put up the window feeder on a 2nd story window and they were at it within 10 minutes.

If you're up to it, you can hang two identical feeders side by side in a spot they're already hitting, one with the red dye or store bought nectar and one you make of 1:4 cane sugar water and see which gets more activity after a few days. I think it would be fun for you to try so I won't post my results :)

My 2.5 cents.

Either way, good photo and glad you're getting them now!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Kristi, it's like it's right in front of me, great pic
    I tried to get a shot of some yesterday but you can't take pics of hummers and have sneezing fits, lol

• melvalena
    17 years ago

You lucky people!!!!!
    Still no activity here that I have seen...but I've been dealing with the lightning strike that knocked out our Verizon TV, phone, and Internet last night. Thank goodness that's all that got damaged.

They were here first thing this morning and I've been playing catch up ever since!

• mnktx
    17 years ago

once again it's overcast but decided to do a few closeups of them. Enjoy!

Marc

{{gwi:981322}}

{{gwi:981324}}

{{gwi:981325}}

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Marc, those are great!! No wonder they have such good eyesight, those little eyes are intense.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

I don't like the close ups as well, lol they don't look as sweet close up, LOL

• bo_berrin
    17 years ago

Marc, those are incredible! Wow!

• mnktx
    17 years ago

You scared of a lil'o hummingbird Jolana? I happen to think they are adoooorable up close. Think I've hogged this thread enough so I'll squeeze in this last one.

{{gwi:981327}}

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Excellent photo of the subtle colors!!

Kristi

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

LOL, that one is too, too cute, the other ones were not...to me

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Marc, I just have to ask, how do you get the lighting on these little creatures? This one is superb - reflections of all the colors.

• mnktx
    17 years ago

Carrie, it helped that the sun finally came through and it was during the magic hour. I also pulled out my gold reflector to get some more fill light. I also used some exposure compensation...hence the blown out greens in the background. Glad you liked it :)

Marc

• TxMarti
    17 years ago

Wow Marc, great pictures!

• ineztk
    17 years ago

I have 5 feeders out and have to refill at least 3 times a day.
    the hummers are every where. will try to get pictures tomorrow

• melvalena
    17 years ago

I saw one!!!I saw one!!!!!

Just a few moments ago on one of my feeders!!

As soon as I realized it, he took off! :(
    Guess I skeered him.

I was inside, I don't know how he heard me suck in my breath but he did!

I'm so excited!!

• justintx
    17 years ago

Mel,
    Are you SURE that wasn't Marc dangling a stuffed hummingbird at your feeder??
    J.D.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Melvalena, I'm so happy for you. JD might be right tho, lol

• melvalena
    17 years ago

NOPE!!! It was a REAL hummer!!! And it was on MY feeder!!!

:)

• justintx
    17 years ago

Ok, so, where are the pictures?????
    You didn't think you were going to get off that easy, did you?

I bet DH had the camera in the bass boat, didn't he??
    ; - )

J.D.

• remuda1
    17 years ago

"It was a REAL hummer!!! And it was on MY feeder!!!"

Oh sure......where's your pic, Melvalena??

ROFL, just kidding. So glad you saw your first one, more will be soon to follow :). Good for you, glad you didn't injure yourself getting a better look ;).

Kristi

• mnktx
    17 years ago

man are my ears cooold!!!

so ah, anyone wanna buy a stuffed hummingbird?

• melvalena
    17 years ago

hahaha!

I had the camera sitting right here...both of 'em! Hubby left the one good one, the one that can zoom real good for me. But that little bugger was gone the instant I realized he was there. No time for pictures.
    Soon though.. I'll get a picture soon.

Stuffed hummingbird...sure...Next Christmas I'm going to find me some hummer tree ornaments and just hang them all over my yard! I'll never be with out my hummers then!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Yeah, you tell us Melva, lol
    I believe you, I can't get a pic either

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Here you go Melvalena

• justintx
    17 years ago

Now I have to explain how Mel got a picture of HER hummingbird out MY kitchen window???? and my socks are picked up????

• remuda1
    17 years ago

"Mel got a picture of HER hummingbird out MY kitchen window"

Heeheehee, a GardenWeb scandal!!

Kristi

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Oh, if those little hummers just knew what they have stirred up !!!!! Such scandal - AND posted on the forum!!!