SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimmyz84

Recommendations of shrubs or perennials for Clay soil.

jimmyz84
17 years ago

Hello,

Im new to this forum, but not new to gardening in Texas. In the past, I have just built up beds with topsoil, compost, and sand and I have had grand results. All plants are doing fantastic and everything looks great.

However, I have a very large concrete patio in my backyard, and I have a 1.5' - 2' planting bed around it. I do not want to build up a bed because it's around the patio and I do not want wash off and other various reasons. I know the it's going to be higher than the patio with mulch, but not as high as building up an 8" bed. My soil is a combination of clays. The top layer is red clay, the second layer is a bluish-black clay and I even have some white clay. It pretty bad stuff. What can I grow in this type of clay? Let me also note that my patio slopes (naturally for drainage) and the water all goes into this border bed, so it has a tendancy to be moist all the time if we get alot of rain. So I need some suggestions for some shrubs or perennials that can do well in these conditions.

I did some research, and I have found that geraniums, butterfly weed, and daylily do well. I want something with lots of color, and that'll last. Most of my backyard is tropical. I have over 30 Palm trees. Queen palms, Canary Island Date, and Pygmy palms. I also have an abundance of Hibiscus (which thrive) as well as lantana, ixora, varigated ginger, etc. Lots of color and big on the tropical feel. So any suggestions? I would like something readily available at my local nurseries (Houston Palm Tree Co, Houston Garden Centers, Home Depot, or Lowes)

Please let me know! Thanks.

Comments (14)