SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
high_plains_drifter

Wood Ashes in Worm Bin and breeding question.

Hello, everyone.

I started a worm bin 17 days ago. So far, so good (it pays to read a bit before you begin a project, and many thanks to this forum). Anyhow, I began with 500 redworms I purchased from a bait shop. They all seemed about uniform in size, but now I've got worms of many different lengths and a fair number of eggs! WTF? This can't possibly have happened in just 17 days, so I'm thinking that I may have introduced some worms from some partially decomposed leaves I used as part of the bedding. My question is threefold: does this make sense; if so, is it the only possibility; also, if I now have different species of compost worms in my bin, can they hybridize?

Another question: how often and to what degree can I apply wood ashes to a bin (to counter the tendency of bins to turn acidic)? I know ashes contains a lot of salts and are very alkaline, and I've read that a "sprinkling" is all I should ever apply, but I really don't know what a "sprinkling" is. Any thoughts on these subject would be appreciated.

Thanks,

HPD

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21