SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoorayfororganic

Worm bins out of wood: Avoiding plastic

hoorayfororganic
12 years ago

I know this isn't a perfect world, but I'd like to make a bin that has the least health/environmental threat possible. I know we all have different standards, etc. That being said:

I want to avoid plastic, because of things like BPA & pthalates - hormone mimics that are present in the majority of plastics sold today (even if the plastic says it's BPA free, we now know that producers are replacing BPA with chemicals that have not been tested on humans yet anyways). My reasoning is that worms will act as a bio-accumulator and end up producing castings rich in nasty chemicals present in plastics. I'm using these castings for vegetable gardens and I don't want to ingest these things, I probably have more than enough in my body already from daily living.

Next comes particle board - I read on the net that it can contain formaldehyde. So that's out.

Which brings us to other lumber. Pine, etc, etc.

I'm trying to figure out what wood is safe off the shelf to buy. Ideally the lowest or no chemicals added to it before being sold.

There is a pile of mahogany/white oak in reach but I'm not sure about it. I've read mahogany can be treated prior to sale. Pine seems ok, but then again who knows.

Does anyone have experience in the wood/lumber industry?

Caling around lumber yards, it seems like cedar is a good option. I've been told there aren't chemicals added to it during processing - that it's basically just cut and dried and sold from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated & I'll update if I hear anything new after calling around to some suppliers.

Thanks

Comments (15)