SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

My brand new worms...they've disappeared, disintegrated and

mersiepoo
13 years ago

I have no idea why! I noticed that some of worms are dead, they look like they're disintegrating, and I have no idea why. Everything seems normal, not too wet, not too dry. I put brand new worms in my brand spanking new composter over a month ago. I'd been monitoring things, when it was too wet, I made sure to correct it. Not too dry either, and I had added a new level to the composter with leaves, old tea bags, etc.

Temperature isn't a problem, as they're in my kitchen.

There are very few worms around now, I had noticed that a lot of them seemed to go down to the lowest level where the liquid collects and a bunch of them are dead. I have noticed a HUGE amount of white pot worms and tons of little spider mite things all in the bin. There are some worms, but not many at all, as I bought 1500 of 'em!

The disintegrating worm almost look like they have 'segments' on their little bodies, same with the dead ones. They aren't happy worms, they're dead worms! Any idea what happened? I put no toxic stuff in there, no chlornated water, no pesticides. I feel terrible about the poor little worms, I always treated outside worms with respect. I feel like a killer!

There are some in the upper tray, but not very many at all. Did they commit mass suicide?

Did I not put enough newspaper at the bottom of the first starting tray? They seemed to like to go there, which I thought would point to not enough water, but there was actually water in the collection tray several times which I drained (and poor water logged worms came out too). But, the bedding is not sopping wet.

Any help is appreciated, as I guess I'm going to have to order more. I'd rather not become a serial worm killer.

Comments (8)